Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DougHolland View Post
    What are the jobs most kids want today? Tech right?

Who trains their kids to want to be roofers, carpenters, or plumbers? The entitlement comes from the propaganda that everyone must go to college for success.

Whereas, our parents where happy just providing for and loving their kids. Men were content with basic labor. You knew eventually you would work your way up to foreman. Then owner.

With modern regulation that highly favors major corporations and heavy propaganda on college, kids today believe their entitled to six figure jobs if they follow the road map.
    ----

Many kids these days go in for tech jobs simply because that's where the money is, most of the time, anyway. Going to college doesn't ensure success, but it does give you a leg up on others. All things being equal, if I were an employer, I'd take the kid who has a college degree. That's just me.

In my father's day, he started working at age 16. He could have finished high school--he was bright enough--but it bored him, the Great Depression was just setting in, and he wanted to work and help his parents. They ran a grocery store and while they had enough food to eat, no one had any money. After the war, he started a pig farm with his best friend and his brother--highly unusual for three Jewish guys--but they did well with it and he sold it. He then went into the pickle business and was one of the founders of Bick's Pickles. Walter Bick bought my father out, and then he started his own business at the Ontario Food Terminal with his best friend and they did well with it.

All along, he worked hard. "You get what you get" he often told me. He was right.

When I wrote about "entitlement" before, I wasn't really talking about jobs per se. I was talking about many people from all races and religions thinking the government owes them something, whether it's a job or benefits or something else. I don't blame just Obama. He's merely an extension of the thought process that's been going on for the last thirty years. Everyone thinks the government should or will (or both) do everything for them.

Wrong.

The government should provide for civil and national defense, infrastructure (to a degree), and education. That's about it. It doesn't owe me anything except freedom and the opportunity to make something out of that life for myself and those I love and take care of. Nothing more. Yet, you have people who say the government should step in and do EVERYTHING. Shameful.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    ----

Many kids these days go in for tech jobs simply because that's where the money is, most of the time, anyway. Going to college doesn't ensure success, but it does give you a leg up on others. All things being equal, if I were an employer, I'd take the kid who has a college degree. That's just me.

In my father's day, he started working at age 16. He could have finished high school--he was bright enough--but it bored him, the Great Depression was just setting in, and he wanted to work and help his parents. They ran a grocery store and while they had enough food to eat, no one had any money. After the war, he started a pig farm with his best friend and his brother--highly unusual for three Jewish guys--but they did well with it and he sold it. He then went into the pickle business and was one of the founders of Bick's Pickles. Walter Bick bought my father out, and then he started his own business at the Ontario Food Terminal with his best friend and they did well with it.

All along, he worked hard. "You get what you get" he often told me. He was right.

When I wrote about "entitlement" before, I wasn't really talking about jobs per se. I was talking about many people from all races and religions thinking the government owes them something, whether it's a job or benefits or something else. I don't blame just Obama. He's merely an extension of the thought process that's been going on for the last thirty years. Everyone thinks the government should or will (or both) do everything for them.

Wrong.

The government should provide for civil and national defense, infrastructure (to a degree), and education. That's about it. It doesn't owe me anything except freedom and the opportunity to make something out of that life for myself and those I love and take care of. Nothing more. Yet, you have people who say the government should step in and do EVERYTHING. Shameful.
    They go to school because of regulation. The less freedom we have the more schooling that is required to survive.

To revert back to the good old day's, we would need to go back to a true capitalistic society. Government over regulates everything. You cannot even give a massage without a license requiring school debt. Something that has been free to man for thousands of years and is an art.

Your right about the gov and what its responsibilities are. But with the power grab over the last 30 years...we ain't going back.

Entitlement is the politicians leverage for power of the masses.
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by so-tex View Post
    I am quite proud of my ancestors generation. My great grandfather, Levi English came to Texas from Arkansas when he was 14 years old. He married Matilda Burleson, the daughter of Col. Burleson who served under General Sam Houston, and he later served as Postmaster General. My great grandfather English later founded the town of Carrizo Spings, Texas and served as a Captain and scout for the Texas Rangers. I would have really loved to live in the 1800's. I think I was born in the wrong time. .
    I love the history. It's a good thing to know a little bit of where your forebears came from, just what they went through...your stock! My Father's family came to the 'colonies' in 1668. LOL George Washington's half brother married a Muse! LMAO We were almost famous! I have a good friend in Mexico who told me; "You're 'abolego!' Ha ha. I think the term, generally speaking in Mexico, means of Spanish decent, as in some of the first 'shovel fulls' that came across years ago. LOL Regardless, if one has been blessed with parents, grandparents...then it's automatic and natural to look, see, and recognize the sacrifice, hard work, simple living, and the values that they held. That is indeed a legacy. We've got to somehow translate and instill that history, those values, in these little 'snot nosed kids' that are coming up!
    paolo59

"If you're going through hell, keep going!" Winston Churchill

paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) paolo59 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Built2Serve View Post
    My father was a WWII vet. He was in the 1st wave going into Italy. He made it and rarely talked about the devistation and death that he saw that day.
    He passed in 1993, When going through his things there was a silver ring with Italy and the year. I wear that ring every time I am riding the motorcycle just to take a memory of him with me.
    Yes, I think of the greatest generation exactly as the greatest generation. That being of the WWII folks and the sacrafices they made and how they grew our country. We could learn a lession from them. My dad loved his Caddies and Harleys, Wife, kids and the small house we all grew up in.

Thanks for reading!
    Thanks for sharing! You think back, and remember those gone on before...and you're always blessed. Blessed in the fact that perhaps (in unfortunate circumstances) that you know what 'not to do!' And in your case; that you've got the valued memory of what truly is of worth. Worthy of emulation! There's not a Father under six feet of sod that wouldn't rise up and shout 'Hallelujah' knowing that!
    paolo59

so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by paolo59 View Post
    I love the history. It's a good thing to know a little bit of where your forebears came from, just what they went through...your stock! My Father's family came to the 'colonies' in 1668. LOL George Washington's half brother married a Muse! LMAO We were almost famous! I have a good friend in Mexico who told me; "You're 'abolego!' Ha ha. I think the term, generally speaking in Mexico, means of Spanish decent, as in some of the first 'shovel fulls' that came across years ago. LOL Regardless, if one has been blessed with parents, grandparents...then it's automatic and natural to look, see, and recognize the sacrifice, hard work, simple living, and the values that they held. That is indeed a legacy. We've got to somehow translate and instill that history, those values, in these little 'snot nosed kids' that are coming up!
    You know paolo, I could go on and on about family history. You can google my great grandfather. He and others tamed the wiild west. He was half indian, and at the age of 10, went and lived with the Commanches for awhile. He learned his skills from them on how to fight the Indians. Then there is my fathers side, they immigrated from Germany (Alsace Lorraine to be exact) to Castroville, Texas, and became successful farmers and ranchers as well. I have pictures of his great grandfathers brothers, and damned those guys were huge and well built.
    I like to ride my horses and shoot my guns

latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) latebloomingmom has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by DougHolland View Post
    What are the jobs most kids want today? Tech right?

Who trains their kids to want to be roofers, carpenters, or plumbers? The entitlement comes from the propaganda that everyone must go to college for success.

Whereas, our parents where happy just providing for and loving their kids. Men were content with basic labor. You knew eventually you would work your way up to foreman. Then owner.

With modern regulation that highly favors major corporations and heavy propaganda on college, kids today believe their entitled to six figure jobs if they follow the road map.
    the curriculum in Michigian is supposed to go to a college prep program across the board for all high school students by 2014..
    Our vocational ed programs are already now being offered as college courses and no longer available to the high school students.
    Last year the funding for alteranative ed high school was cut.
    My brother and I were just discussing this the other day. Children are not cookies that all are cut from the same mold. They have different skills and abilities.
    It worriies me what will happen to these kids in the next few years

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by latebloomingmom View Post
    the curriculum in Michigian is supposed to go to a college prep program across the board for all high school students by 2014..
    Our vocational ed programs are already now being offered as college courses and no longer available to the high school students.
    My brother and I were just discussing this the other day. Children are not cookies that all are cut from the same mold. They have different skills and abilities.
    I hear ya. It is a mess. We are in for a heck of a ride once this fiat money train comes to an end. Where will the kids live once the old-money is gone and their parents can no longer support them in their 30's and 40's?

I cant tell you how many parents still have 28 - 35-year-olds still at home. It will be like Greece I guess.
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/

Originally Posted by so-tex View Post
    You know paolo, I could go on and on about family history. You can google my great grandfather. He and others tamed the wiild west. He was half indian, and at the age of 10, went and lived with the Commanches for awhile. He learned his skills from them on how to fight the Indians. Then there is my fathers side, they immigrated from Germany (Alsace Lorraine to be exact) to Castroville, Texas, and became successful farmers and ranchers as well. I have pictures of his great grandfathers brothers, and damned those guys were huge and well built.
    I would enjoy it if you went 'on and on' about family history. It is an absolutely wonderful thing to know of your past. It sort of places you. Texas is a big place, with lots of 'hype' and supposed tradition. When you've got family that actually braved the trail, so to speak, that is something. When you smell the earth after a little rain shower, and it brings up much more in your mind than just that smell...that is rich brother!

Not everyone can enjoy that history! Dig up the soil, plant something, watch it grow, make a living...but when you know that forebears made something out of nothing, that is something special. Very special!

The Comanche might think otherwise...but so goes history! LOL
    paolo59

Originally Posted by latebloomingmom View Post
    This is something that troubles me, even teaching, as I do, at the primary level. Not every kid is 'College bound.' We are qualified as competent teachers by how well a child is doing academically by some 'equation,' 1st, 2nd, 3rd Grade...where will they show up on the 'University Track?' There are kids who should never go to University, never should take out a Federal loan...somehow we are led to believe that we have failed in some way.

Hell no!!! A liscensed plumber or electrician makes more than me. Is salary the only gage of success? A kid can be whatever the hell he/she has got the drive to become. University is not the only answer...hard work and gumption goes much farther than some pathetic 'academic promise.' I trust and believe that I'll not be misunderstood.
    paolo59