Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mysteriouskk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best Gym Flooring that doesn't smell as bad as Stall Mats?

I bought some stall mats from my local crossfit shop, and the smell is sorta overbearing in my room (12'x12').

I did leave the mats out for weeks (cleaning almost daily), but that didn't really help that much.

What is another option that smells less?

TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TommyStarwind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It goes away after a while. I have a one car garage that I put 4 of them in and you can't tell the smell at all. Getting them wet just makes it smell more haha. Give it time and ventilate the room when possible.
    I deserve that pedestal, I own it, and the sea ought to part for me.
    Just get out of the fuking way, I'm on a mission.
    So just step aside and gimme the trophy.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Plywood, cardboard.

Can also spread a buch of chalk or baking soda over the rubber. Heard it helps with bumpers.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Some have reported that the smell doesn't ever go away, others have reported that it does, so seems like it depends on the specific ones you get.

At the very least, check out this thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...e+gym+flooring

It has alot of useful information to at least give you some ideas.

I've had it for more than 2 months now, and the smell is still there. Seems to be the same as when I first got it.

Does this stuff smell?

rubberflooringinc . com/rubber-roll/heavy-duty-roll.html

emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000) emp1acur is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Here is another useful thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...agnum+flooring

I'm back in the market for home gym floor, so am doing a fresh look at whats out there myself.

This place (mygymfloor dot com) talks about using non-recycled rubber on some of their stuff, and reviews seem to confirm low or no odor, but they are very expensive. Check the olympic or health grade ones.

Location: London, Greater London, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000) MikeKK is just really nice. (+1000)
    Got mine few weeks ago. The majority of smell went away after a week or so. Just open a window or doors and allow fresh air everyday and your good to go.
    Getting me some gains

Lifting log http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154103&p=103762993#post10302993
    My lifting gear part 1 (bodysolid power rack, bench, lat attachment) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1509633
    My lifting gear part 2 (bodypower weights, texas power bar) http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151184793&p=1011390903#post10110903

CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CompleteLurker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just try to find a feed store that stores them outside.
    No smell!

T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know some of our budgets are tight but sometimes it seems we make more work for ourselves by trying to save money. I'm building a home gym in my basement and the rubber flooring is one area I would never skimp on. I don't want to deal with smells and I want a product that truly compliments the area I'm finishing. Stall mats are not for everyone. I'll cancel cable to make my budget work if needed. That being said I'm going to be ordering from the company below. They have a huge variety of flooring to match exactly your needs. Yes, they are more expensive but for me it's a no brainer.

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com

Home gym 'til I die. ProtienandIron's Avatar
    ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProtienandIron has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Its my understanding that bumpers/mats etc. that smell, are generally made from recycled rubber. While mats that have little to no smell are made from virgin rubber. Not sure if theres any truth in that, but it could be something to look out for. In other words- stay away from slutty rubber!
    My training log:
    ---------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153596291&p=1062453741#post1062453741

[]---[] Equipment Crew #43 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #1 -!!!---!!!-
    ()---() York Barbell Club #4 ()---()

2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 2MoreRepz is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I just installed 29 stall mats in my shop from Tractor Supply yesterday. From what everyone else has said I was expecting a lot stronger smell. The smell reminds me of rubber/cat litter box mixture. Weird, but still not bad at all. As soon as I got them laid I mopped then real good so that could have been a factor in the smell.

Originally Posted by T-Rage View Post
    I know some of our budgets are tight but sometimes it seems we make more work for ourselves by trying to save money. I'm building a home gym in my basement and the rubber flooring is one area I would never skimp on. I don't want to deal with smells and I want a product that truly compliments the area I'm finishing. Stall mats are not for everyone. I'll cancel cable to make my budget work if needed. That being said I'm going to be ordering from the company below. They have a huge variety of flooring to match exactly your needs. Yes, they are more expensive but for me it's a no brainer.

htt p://w ww.r ubberflooringincom
    Which flooring are you going to get from them? Tiles or Rolls?

ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50) ygohome will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just put down new stall mats in a three car garage. I never noticed any smell. Maybe if it were in a smaller confined space I would smell it more? When I bought the mats at Tractor Supply they were on a pallet that had been left outside, so maybe their smell had died off or something.

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I used stall mats in my gym room and they did smell a little for the first week. I cleaned them with bacterial cleaner spray.

Try and use a light bleach, that should help I imagine?

It worked for me, I understand that different mats are made of different rubbers.

Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    I used stall mats in my gym room and they did smell a little for the first week. I cleaned them with bacterial cleaner spray.

Try and use a light bleach, that should help I imagine?

It worked for me, I understand that different mats are made of different rubbers.
    Anyone have InfinityMax flooring? Do they sell it for home use?

T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Mysteriouskk View Post
    Which flooring are you going to get from them? Tiles or Rolls?
    I have more free samples coming but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 3/8" Impact Rubber tiles. I made this decision based on that fact my area is only 12' x 16', I wanted more cushion and these are rubber but a bit softer, installation is easy with no glues needed and once laid down the seams are nearly invisible. I'll be going with plain black with no flecks. The reviews are excellent and some of the customer's who reviewed these tiles uploaded pics. The tiles look great.

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/int...bber-tile.html
    Attached Images

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The reviews are excellent and some of the customer's who reviewed these tiles uploaded pics. The tiles look great.

I embedded the video on how to install those rubber tiles. Thanks for sharing the link.

I have more free samples coming but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the 3/8" Impact Rubber tiles. I made this decision based on that fact my area is only 12' x 16', I wanted more cushion and these are rubber but a bit softer, installation is easy with no glues needed and once laid down the seams are nearly invisible. I'll be going with plain black with no flecks. The reviews are excellent and some of the customer's who reviewed these tiles uploaded pics. The tiles look great.

Did you get your samples and have you made a decision on what to go with? I called them and the person I spoke with was suggesting the 8mm strong rubber tiles, so I'm awaiting some samples of that and a couple of other ones to get a sense of what I like best.

Would be very interested in an update if you have one The prices of these seem very reasonable compared to other options.

Originally Posted by emp1acur View Post
    Did you get your samples and have you made a decision on what to go with? I called them and the person I spoke with was suggesting the 8mm strong rubber tiles, so I'm awaiting some samples of that and a couple of other ones to get a sense of what I like best.

Would be very interested in an update if you have one The prices of these seem very reasonable compared to other options.
    I ordered one set of samples that came in about a week and then ordered a second set of samples that came in a few days. My samples included the 8mm Strong Rubber and the 3/8" Impact Rubber, plus some soft foam samples for fun. The 8 mm Strong Rubber definitely felt harder with less give than the 3/8" Impact Rubber. This seems to be due not only because its thinner but its a more fine rubber (less little holes when comparing side by side). The 8 mm Strong Rubber may very well be denser. I went with the 3/8" Impact Rubber cause I wanted the thicker tile cause I believe it will lay better since its thicker and heavier and also cause its a little softer than the 8 mm Strong Rubber. Now soft is relative as all these tile are quite tough and stiff. My tiles are on the way and should be here Tuesday. I will definitely take some pics and post them. Actually, I can probably take some pics of the samples as well close up just for reference. No matter what I highly recommend ordering a ton of samples and playing with them before ordering.

I ran into problems with the shipper as I needed it delivered in the evening and they couldn't do it then, however I called rubber flooring inc and they were very nice and helpful and worked with the shipper so that I can pick up my tiles at the shippers local depot. Therefore, my experience with rubber flooring has been excellent.

8 mm = 0.314"
    3/8" = 0.375"

Therefore the 3/8" is about 20% thicker.

You can see the 8 mm tile is finer grained while the 3/8" is more coarse grained.

8 mm on the left and the 3/8" on the right.
    Attached Images

Thanks for posting all that. Great to know the experiences of others with these things. There are so many options out there from various companies.

Will look forward to seeing your end result and hearing how the installation was. Do you have a transition from carpet to tile? I do so not sure what one uses for that but I will have to research it.

Originally Posted by emp1acur View Post
    Thanks for posting all that. Great to know the experiences of others with these things. There are so many options out there from various companies.

Will look forward to seeing your end result and hearing how the installation was. Do you have a transition from carpet to tile? I do so not sure what one uses for that but I will have to research it.
    My tiles are going in my basement so I have no need for transitions. I will def post once my tiles come and/or are installed.

OK I also just ordered more samples - 3/8 impact and another one, so I'll have a good assortment to evaluate.

They confirmed that they sent the first batch on 23rd January, so they must be slow via ground shipping to Canada, through customs etc.

I'll be laying the flooring on one section of a carpeted recreation room, hence my transition requirement. Good luck!

I picked up my tiles on Monday. So they are very nice! No smell at all. They are high quality and the seams literally disappear when they are locked together. I'm very happy. I'll be laying them this weekend but wanted to give a quick update. Note that the lighter old looking tiles are my old foam tiles which these are replacing.

Total number of tiles: 35 tiles of the 3/8" Impact Rubber
    Total cost with shipping: $650.66
    Square footage: 12' x 16' is the area but the tiles cover something like 13' x 16' so about 200 square feet
    Attached Images

I picked up my tiles on Monday. So they are very nice! No smell at all. They are high quality and the seams literally disappear when they are locked together. I'm very happy. I'll be laying them this weekend but wanted to give a quick update. Note that the lighter old looking tiles are my old foam tiles which these are replacing.

Total number of tiles: 35 tiles of the 3/8" Impact Rubber
    Total cost with shipping: $650.66
    Square footage: 12' x 16' is the area but the tiles cover something like 13' x 16' so about 200 square feet
    I've been waiting to hear an update Thanks for posting it and will look forward to the finished product.

I got my first set of samples - will look forward to the 2nd set soon.

When I specify 12 x 16 on the site, it is telling me 45 tiles which is different than your amount. Seems strange but hopefully what you have is right. I see yours have the straight border on two sides. Are all the tiles like that or is there an assortment such that some middle ones have the puzzle ends on all sides? I didn't see how to order anything special although it does say available with detachable border pieces.

Glad to hear there is no odor. That part is very important for me.

Yes, I've been sick and crazy busy at work but felt compelled to post the update.

When you do 12' x 16' on their site there is a check box enabled which states "Add 5% to allow for errors, etc." or something like that. They are including 5% more tiles. Uncheck that box and try the 12' x 16' again.

Every single tiles has two border pieces included meaning any tile can live anywhere. A corner requires two borders, a middle outer requires 1 border and a center requires none. So you will have a bunch of borders left over but it makes things easy for us as we don't have to worry.

Rubberinc will answer all these questions for you gladly.

Yes, I'll post the before and afters.
    Last edited by T-Rage; 02-15-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Okay, installation is done and I'm very happy. For $650.00 I couldn't be happier with this flooring.
    Attached Images

JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) JEROMESIMONNET is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by ProtienandIron View Post
    Its my understanding that bumpers/mats etc. that smell, are generally made from recycled rubber. While mats that have little to no smell are made from virgin rubber.
    this might be true. Mine were not recycled and I had close to zero smell despite the fact I had twice the amount shown on the picture
    DSC05185.JPG

Okay, installation is done and I'm very happy. For $650.00 I couldn't be happier with this flooring.
    Looks great! Glad to hear you are happy with the result. Hopefully you are finding that the odor is quite low. Some reviews mentioned a slight odor but indicated that it went away after a few days or week.

I find the prices at runnerflooringinc to be quite reasonable compared to others. For me given I'm in Canada and I need a few of their transition strips, mine will approach 800-1000 depending on which one I get, but for me it will also be worth it.

Thanks for all the pictures and info - enjoy

Originally Posted by JEROMESIMONNET View Post
    this might be true. Mine were not recycled and I had close to zero smell despite the fact I had twice the amount shown on the picture
    Attachment 5407383
    This was my general impression as well, but after having done alot of research and read reviews, it seems some recycled options can be very low odor. Even talking with rubberflooringinc they mentioned a couple of their own tile types that they said stay away from if you are concerned about odor, but were quite confident that most of the other ones would be fine (including the ones T-Rage went with). The reviews seems to agree with that.

I was looking into virgin rubber ones, but the prices are very high - seems about 4 to 8 times that of recycled. I don't own any yet though