wildlife97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildlife97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Upcoming Fitness Test

I have a fitness test coming up for my job. The % body weight push test occurs in a power rack with the safety bars close to your chest as (typically 2-4 inches) while lying down, the bar bell is then placed on the safety bars. I then have to press/push the bar until my elbows lock out. I've heard its commonly called a pin press. The test is suppose to mimic the machine that my agency uses nationally but we don't have access to, your basic bench press machine

Last May (2012) I was barely able to get 160 up. Within a month I need to be in the 170-75 range. Is this possible?

Our agency "fitness instructor" basically said I really need to work on my "stabilizer muscles."

What do I need to do to get within the 175 range within a month? I have protein, creatine, access to a gym, and can workout as long as I want.

What is your advice? What exercises should I do? Supplements?

Thanks

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What's your current 1 rep max? If its anywhere near 160 you'll get 170 within a month. I would focus on bench/pin presses. You can do these 2/3 times a week. sounds like you have some core work to do as well. You can do this by squatting, deadlifting or just doing dynamic planks.

Try the heaviest weight you can press, then get back here and , if you're not too far away from 170, it should be straightforward enough to give you a regime that allows you to get there.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ProxyViaProxy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training for strength only is pretty simple, just lift more. I would suggest doing 85% of your one rep max for 5 reps. Depending on how developed you are you could do that anywhere from 1-5 sets and 1-3 times per week. Low reps high weight is the key to raw strength gain. Drink protein after workouts and make sur to really push yourself. On the other hand though, don't over train or get injured. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

wildlife97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) wildlife97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks guys will do. Another question. Other locations that do this test across the country either use your standard bench machine with plates, a smith machine, or a bench press where two spotters slowly lower the bar down to your chest and then you have to push it up.

Our fitness instructor states that the way we do it (basically pin presses) are easier then the other methods. Is that true?

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The key for pin presses is setting up and getting your body tight in the ready position.
    You should feel like a coiled spring ready to let loose.
    Elbows tight to the sides,lats pinched back,squeezing the bar,feet planted into the floor and a deep breath and hold right before launching the bar.
    I would work with reps no more than fives and down to singles.
    The only thing that is easier about it is there is no eccentric(negative)which should allow you to be nice and tight on this lift.

More info:

My workout routine is really basically just cardio, run and bike. Haven't really hit the weights in 6 years. When I did my pin press test last year I basically just went in and did it, no prior work out. Looking back it was a bad idea and I need to be better prepared.

As far as diet goes, it's a healthy diet. No sugary drinks (energy drinks, pop, etc) don't over eat, etc.

bump

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by wildlife97 View Post
    More info:

My workout routine is really basically just cardio, run and bike. Haven't really hit the weights in 6 years. When I did my pin press test last year I basically just went in and did it, no prior work out. Looking back it was a bad idea and I need to be better prepared.

As far as diet goes, it's a healthy diet. No sugary drinks (energy drinks, pop, etc) don't over eat, etc.
    Well, there's your answer then isn't it? Go and lift some weights. Do the pin press 2 or 3x a week and you'll be fine.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"