whimisical has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whimisical has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) whimisical has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weights 3 days/week to de-bulk?

I've always been an active person, but in the past, I didn't worry about my physique, more so athletic performance/survival. I was a mountaineer (until breaking several bones and being airlifted off an 11 000+ foot peak)... now I'm loving weights/gym/bodybuilding. I'm new to it, but my body has evolved so much since adding weights to my workout and focusing on eating clean/being disciplined about what I eat (when I was a mountaineer, I had no concerns about calories!).

I've been doing a 3 day/week weight-lifting regime, which has really helped to get rid of some of my bulky muscles (still looking to loose bulk throughout my body).

Do you think that my workout (posted below) is enough for my current goal of losing bulky muscle, or should I add some extra weight training and still achieve "leaning-out" results? I also do regular yoga 3-4 times/week and bikram yoga 3 times/week on top of my weight-lifting regime, which is helping to get the tightness out of my muscles from an endurance-based fitness past (marathons, mountains, etc). I also do morning cardio (anywhere from 10 minutes to 50 minutes) whenever possible, usually jogging on the treadmill... it's a great way to start the morning.

“3 Days Per Week” - Gym Routine
    Monday: Back, Chest, Abs (+ Cardio)
    Exercise Sets & Reps
    Lat Pulldowns 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Seated Cable Rows 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Barbell Bench Press 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Incline Press 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Lying Leg Raises 5 sets of 20 reps
    Planks One 2-3 minute hold
    HIIT 10-15 minutes
    Steady State Cardio 15-20 minutes

Wednesday: Shoulders, Biceps, and Triceps (+ Cardio)
    Exercise Sets & Reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Cable Lateral Raises 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Preacher Curls 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Curls 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Close Grip Bench Press 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Cable Pushdown 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    HIIT 10-15 minutes

Friday: One Exercise Per Body Part (+ Cardio)
    Exercise Sets & Reps
    Lying Leg Raises 5 sets of 20 reps
    Planks One 2-3 minute hold
    One-Arm Dumbbell Row 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Incline Dumbbell Fly 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Incline Dumbbell Curls 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Presses 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    Overhead Dumbbell Extensions 4-5 sets of 5 reps
    HIIT 10-15 minutes
    "I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted."
    -Jack Kerouac

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by whimisical View Post

Do you think that my workout (posted below) is enough for my current goal of losing bulky muscle,
    No. Eating less than you burn, combined with excessive cardio, "shrinks" muscle. Lifting weights BUILDS muscle, as in, makes them bigger. Which is the whole point of weightlifting, last time I checked.

Additionally (and you have no pictures or stats listed so I don't know if this is the case with you) what many women confuse for as "bulky muscle" is in actuality just plain ole body fat.

Generally, we like muscle here and not only want to keep what we have, but build lots more big ones.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you actually have more muscle than you want, and want to decrease muscle mass? Or are you "bulky" because you have both muscle and fat, and need to get rid of the latter?

If it's the second scenario, keep lifting and diet down.

If it's the former, the fast road to success is to just stop lifting, or at least do less exercises for fewer sets at a lower intensity of effort.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In my few years here, I have seen dozens of threads like this, and only ONE girl actually had the mass to decrease (going from figure to bikini division). Can you share pictures? Almost certain it's just fat rather than actual mass.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've speculated with my coach as to what it would take for me to weigh 120#...we say no lifting, 1 hour of cardio a say and an 800 calorie diet for 1 year....get after it. JK

What everyone said above, bulk is typically due to more fat ether than too much muscle. Get in the proper caloric deficit and lift intensely.
    Last edited by megdaig; 01-21-2013 at 04:37 AM.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No such thing as "bulky muscle". Muscle by itself takes up little space - it's that fat layer over it that makes it look 'bulky'. If you don't see muscle separation/striations, it's still covered up by a nice layer of fat.

Your workout looks poor to me, but I am not a fan of isolation work for newbies. I would focus on the compounds and do a full body 3xper week. Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press, chin ups, lat pulldowns, seated or bent over row, 5 sets of 5. No HIIT on lifting days, but ok on non-lifting days. Steady state cardio at a lower intensity after lifting ok.

What are your stats? Height/weight.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."