Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey John, would you be willing to give me a basic idea of how you eat each day? Maybe just one days worth of eating?

I really appreciated your post on newbie mistakes and I am hoping I can learn from you.

A little history on me:

I am a strength and conditioning coach. I love training. But, diet is something we never discuss because we only care about performance.

Now as I have gotten older I want to look good to and not be fat. From the advice from a doctor - I gave up wheat and immediately lost weight and acid issues disappeared. I guess I developed a gluten intolerance. I have been gluten free for 4.5 months and no more sickness.

Mark Bell made insane progress with carb night and I have been trying to follow. But my strength is going.

One thing I always did after training for years past, was a 75 gram protein shake, with a table spoon of peanut butter. Also mixed in was one cup of blue berries and one cup of strawberries and a half banana.

That shake made me feel indestructible and my strength stayed high. But I start to gain weight with those types of carbs if I try to get enough protein in my macros and stay under 3100 cal.

Look forward to your input.
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/

hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    oh, that hundred pounds sure makes a difference.....not.......

why are you here???????????????????
    Of course it makes a ****ing difference. No normal person is going to be able to pull 600 pounds @ 150 pounds. He would have to gain about 50 pounds. If he cut down to a buck fifty, he would definitely lose some strength. It's inevitable.
    "ham boy"

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post
    Of course it makes a ****ing difference. No normal person is going to be able to pull 600 pounds @ 150 pounds. He would have to gain about 50 pounds. If he cut down to a buck fifty, he would definitely lose some strength. It's inevitable.
    1. the horrible grammar and way you wrote your first post, it was impossible to decipher exactly what you were saying...

2. this is the OVER 35 section and you are 20

3. you reside in the deep red zone

those 3 items, collectively, usually don't bode well.....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    That shake made me feel indestructible and my strength stayed high. But I start to gain weight with those types of carbs if I try to get enough protein in my macros and stay under 3100 cal.

DOUG: Eating is SO personalized, that there really is no steadfast WAY, that would apply to everyone.

for example, I have NO problems digesting WHEAT, so, gluten is not an issue, and Thank God for that! LOL...

however: I could see someone allergic to some of those Berries you used to put in the drink, which would make it an out for them....

or, again, on the personal side, I detest peanut butter, and so on and so forth.

With that in mind, what is more important then, in adapting diets to different people, is to grasp CONCEPTS, rather than specifics, meaning: follow a CONCEPT FIRST, and then build the Specifics around that....

SO: for instance, I could tell you to have a pound of LEAN meat, but if you hate Fish, that would have to mean Chicken or Turkey....and vice versa......

But the concept that I have grown to believe in from a lifetime of reading, getting back to your quote, is that all of us, to some extent, eat FAR TOO MUCH PROTEIN than our bodies are capable of handling, in terms of putting it to use.

Remember: unless someone is on a strict Adkins type diet, protein is used exclusively for BUILDING and REPAIRING, and NOT energy.

Therefore: excess Protein either forces your body into a protein burning metabolism, or, which is likely the case, simply denies your body the proper energy foods that it needs to do the job.

For most BBer's and Lifters, it is almost heretic to suggest eating LESS protein, because we are afraid of "not getting enough"....

But that is usually NOT the case, unless someone's diet is completely skewered and bereft of reason.

What we ARE "not getting enough of", in most cases, are quality carbs that we need to provide the energy to both lift and repair.

So: make your daily Calorie quota with your macros, but to still retain proper strength, could then very well mean LOWERING THE PROTEIN MACROS, instead of the Carbs.....

again, a detestable thought to the average practitioner....
    Lift as MUCH as you can, for as MANY reps as you can,
    while in complete control of the exercise.

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    DOUG: Eating is SO personalized, that there really is no steadfast WAY, that would apply to everyone.

for example, I have NO problems digesting WHEAT, so, gluten is not an issue, and Thank God for that! LOL...

however: I could see someone allergic to some of those Berries you used to put in the drink, which would make it an out for them....

or, again, on the personal side, I detest peanut butter, and so on and so forth.

With that in mind, what is more important then, in adapting diets to different people, is to grasp CONCEPTS, rather than specifics, meaning: follow a CONCEPT FIRST, and then build the Specifics around that....

SO: for instance, I could tell you to have a pound of LEAN meat, but if you hate Fish, that would have to mean Chicken or Turkey....and vice versa......

But the concept that I have grown to believe in from a lifetime of reading, getting back to your quote, is that all of us, to some extent, eat FAR TOO MUCH PROTEIN than our bodies are capable of handling, in terms of putting it to use.

Remember: unless someone is on a strict Adkins type diet, protein is used exclusively for BUILDING and REPAIRING, and NOT energy.

Therefore: excess Protein either forces your body into a protein burning metabolism, or, which is likely the case, simply denies your body the proper energy foods that it needs to do the job.

For most BBer's and Lifters, it is almost heretic to suggest eating LESS protein, because we are afraid of "not getting enough"....

But that is usually NOT the case, unless someone's diet is completely skewered and bereft of reason.

What we ARE "not getting enough of", in most cases, are quality carbs that we need to provide the energy to both lift and repair.

So: make your daily Calorie quota with your macros, but to still retain proper strength, could then very well mean LOWERING THE PROTEIN MACROS, instead of the Carbs.....

Good post. After reading another thread I am lowering my protein by 20% and adding more carbs and some additional fats...
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000) DougHolland is just really nice. (+1000)

Thank you John for taking the time to write this. Between what you said and the Alan Aargon article I think I have a better understanding of what I need. I am going to do like smelly and let you guys know how it goes. I think the carbs might return my strength that I am loosing and they will be from veggies, some fruit, and nuts.

Repped
    http://www.hollandreflexology.com/

KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KenJenkinsII is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DougHolland View Post
    Thank you John for taking the time to write this. Between what you said and the Alan Aargon article I think I have a better understanding of what I need. I am going to do like smelly and let you guys know how it goes. I think the carbs might return my strength that I am loosing and they will be from veggies, some fruit, and nuts.

Repped
    Doug you might look into PALEO as a way of eating. It is gluten free and I have found great alternatives for carbs eating that way.
    The Unexamined Life is not worth living