Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Entering my 1st competition

Hi Guys,

Been lifting srs for about 4 years now, and decided I want to do a competition this year. Competing is something i've wanted to do for a while now, and i've decided to make this year the year. The comp i'll be aiming for is in May.

Here is my current size and conditioning, I've been told to cut 30 lbs to be competition ready.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE68_tBr4Hk

Im planning on doing a log of the whole process, if that's something you guys would be interested in? Id like to make a video series of it, so if it is something you're interested in a like / subscribe via youtube would be great

Any general advice / things I can expect you guys feel are worth mentioning?

Thanks guys

AESTHETIC BEASTMODE Keyboardsmasher's Avatar
    Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Keyboardsmasher has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good stuff, I'm doing the same; recording everything, my transformation, meal prep and workouts. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would watch your videos.
    Get shredded or die tryin.. face down ass up.

DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) DarthMaulscle has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Keyboardsmasher View Post
    Good stuff, I'm doing the same; recording everything, my transformation, meal prep and workouts. I'm sure there are a lot of people here that would watch your videos.
    Thanks for the reply, and positive words, its much appreciated. Its definitely something im passionate about doing, so would be great to share it with bodybuilding.com and youtube viewers.

KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You definitely have a good base of muscle mass. Good luck.

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Personally, I think losing 30 lbs will leave you short of your goal. You're also not giving yourself much time to work with (30+ lbs in 16 weeks is going to be rough). Best of luck, man.

Originally Posted by red_cat View Post
    Personally, I think losing 30 lbs will leave you short of your goal. You're also not giving yourself much time to work with (30+ lbs in 16 weeks is going to be rough). Best of luck, man.
    Thanks for the critique. Out of interest, do you think id be too skinny after losing the weight, or still have too high of a bf%?

furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) furyhockey is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DarthMaulscle View Post
    Thanks for the critique. Out of interest, do you think id be too skinny after losing the weight, or still have too high of a bf%?
    You might be suprised once you start getting lower in BF how much it really takes to get into contest shape. I started my first prep around 195 and ended up on stage at 155 and when I was 195 I thought for sure I wouldn't be under 170. I wouldn't worry about the number but I would recommend at least 16 weeks of dieting. I think if you went 100% zero cheat meals it could definitely be done depending on what your diet looks like.

Originally Posted by furyhockey View Post
    You might be suprised once you start getting lower in BF how much it really takes to get into contest shape. I started my first prep around 195 and ended up on stage at 155 and when I was 195 I thought for sure I wouldn't be under 170. I wouldn't worry about the number but I would recommend at least 16 weeks of dieting. I think if you went 100% zero cheat meals it could definitely be done depending on what your diet looks like.
    Yea I wont be having any cheat meals. Even when bulking its rare i'll have a cheat meal, I never really crave "bad food".

My diet is clean, and as mentioned I started dieting about a week and a half ago, so ive got about 14-15 weeks until competition.

I think your comment about how much weight you lost has opened my eyes abit. In my head, I expect to be no less than 180, but could end up below 170 maybe.

Thanks for the comments peeps.

red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000) red_cat is a name known to all. (+5000)
    My worry would be either: A) Not having enough time to get stage lean, or B) Getting lean enough but sacrificing a LOT of muscle along the way. My first contest I started at about the same general conditioning as you are now. I gave myself 16 weeks (also thought I would only lose about 28-30 lbs.....I lost 41 lbs total). Parts of me were stage ready, but it took some serious suffering and that had an effect on my ability to train properly as prep went on.

I'm not saying you can't do it in 16 weeks, but I think that having an additional 4-6 weeks of time would be beneficial. That way, if weight loss stalls a bit, you don't have to freak out and play catch up. You just adjust and continue on.

Gonna givr hell on July26 NaturalproMJG's Avatar
    NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50) NaturalproMJG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just throwing this out there but I'm 5'10" and usually start my prep 16 weeks out. My offseason is 215 also and usually have ripped glutes at about 180.
    Personal Trainer and contest prep coach
    Natural Bodybuilder {}-----{}
    www.martyswaypersonaltraining.com
    Instagram : marty_gabriele
    Pinterest : Marty's Way Personal Training

Registered Shredder swolegringo's Avatar
    swolegringo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you ever dieted before?? I mean like getting ready for the stage style diet? I know you said it's your first comp, but when I first dieted, I'm actually glad it wasn't for a comp, because I definitely learned alot about how to diet (and most of it was through error) Just a thought
    www.********.com/swolegringo

getting large and shreddy all over the globe

Originally Posted by swolegringo View Post
    Have you ever dieted before?? I mean like getting ready for the stage style diet? I know you said it's your first comp, but when I first dieted, I'm actually glad it wasn't for a comp, because I definitely learned alot about how to diet (and most of it was through error) Just a thought
    I cut up a fair bit about 2 years ago, but ate too few carbs and did too much cardio. 6 sessions a week. 45 minutes at a high speed cross trainer / treadmill running.

This was my results.

I lost a lot of mass, which I can now see was due to having too few carbs and too much cardio.

Currently on 396g carbs a day, and 0 cardio as of yet.

Down 3 lbs so far guys.

KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50) KCTonyG will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Down 3 lbs so far guys.
    Good luck to you.

Originally Posted by KCTonyG View Post
    Good luck to you.
    Thanks brah

allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump

Originally Posted by allancadenhead View Post
    bump
    Thanks for the bump man!

Really starting to feel the effects of training each muscle group twice a week, especially legs. Got my latest video up here:

Any questions, or any videos you guys would like to see me do, just let me know people.

Well had a couple of friend requests, and a notification saying someone has added me to "inspirational" pretty cool!

Thanks peeps

allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10) allancadenhead is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keep it up man. Twice a week that's pretty hardcore! Squats and oats. Remembee that. Lol.

P.s. look up the Kris Gethin 12 week workout plan. Its under Find A Plan on the home page. Check it out it might be just what you need.

Rep me bruh!

Down another 5 lbs from about a week and half ago.

Its a bit more than I thought, but I have dropped from 600g of carbs to just under 400g, so im not worried about having lost much muscle.

Traderearl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I cut up a fair bit about 2 years ago, but ate too few carbs and did too much cardio. 6 sessions a week. 45 minutes at a high speed cross trainer / treadmill running.

This was my results.

I lost a lot of mass, which I can now see was due to having too few carbs and too much cardio.

Currently on 396g carbs a day, and 0 cardio as of yet.
    I am certainly no expert and have been doing this about as long as you, lot of mistakes along the way that impeded my progress along the way. To me it doesn't really look like you lost that much mass in the video, it just looks like you leaned out, awesome work. Obviously everyone is different but I am preparing for my first comp about 3 months away. Like was said previously I never though it would take as much weight loss as it has. I was 206 when I started cutting in march and I am around 166 right now. I think I still have more to lose but I don't think I have lost much muscle since I lost the weight slowly. You can see pictures of my progress on my bodyspace. Excited to see your results.

Originally Posted by Traderearl View Post
    I am certainly no expert and have been doing this about as long as you, lot of mistakes along the way that impeded my progress along the way. To me it doesn't really look like you lost that much mass in the video, it just looks like you leaned out, awesome work. Obviously everyone is different but I am preparing for my first comp about 3 months away. Like was said previously I never though it would take as much weight loss as it has. I was 206 when I started cutting in march and I am around 166 right now. I think I still have more to lose but I don't think I have lost much muscle since I lost the weight slowly. You can see pictures of my progress on my bodyspace. Excited to see your results.
    Thanks for the positive feedback. Maybe because I lost so much weight, thats why im thinking i lost so much mass,

Ive signed upto bodyspace but dont have a clue what im doing with it haha. How can i follow your progress?

Edited
    Last edited by DarthMaulscle; 01-30-2013 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Wrong Link

Newest Video

Traderearl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the positive feedback. Maybe because I lost so much weight, thats why im thinking i lost so much mass,

Ive signed upto bodyspace but dont have a clue what im doing with it haha. How can i follow your progress?
    You just click on my user ID or from your friends on bodyspace and look at their progress photos.

Well, first day of cardio today. Going to be a long 14 weeks. Down 8 lbs since I started.

bump

Cardio is the toughest part of cutting. It will be worth it in the end. Good luck.

Originally Posted by KCTonyG View Post
    Cardio is the toughest part of cutting. It will be worth it in the end. Good luck.
    Thanks man. Tonight was a sauna session, so a lot easier than cardio. Back on it tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/Shreddybrek