SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Pros and Cons to weightlifting for sports

Hey, I added 15 LBS this offseason and it was great. More strength, advantage strength wise. But there are some negatives, like quickness and speed. I bulked up for baseball and ended up losing some of my quckness. I ended up having to change from SS to 3B. I tried stretching before and after but i guess that wasnt enough. I even did cardio for a month during cutting. Just watch out, ya the explosiveness and power is great but be wary of the downfall. Add any other pros or cons to this thread also.
    Bench: 175 LBS
    Deadlift: 250 LBS
    Squat: 170 LBS (ATG)
    Military Press: 115 LBS
    Barbell Rows: 125 LBS
    Curl: 40 LBS dumbell
    Dips: Injured
    Pullups: 10 reps @ BW

5-10, 170 16% BF

Pain is weakness leaving the body

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108633751

dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    for wrestling its a bitch. you gotta keep your weight down but you also want to gain to get more strength. one of my friends on the team was 112 and started using creatine and shot up to 120. he became really cut but he has to stay down at 112 to be on varsity.

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Resistance training is crucial for sports in this day and age, but you have to be careful about how you approach it. Traditionally, coaches said no to weight, believing it made their players bulky and slowed them down. They were part right. Heavy lifting with slow tempos all the time will do that. However, if you train scientifically and correctly for your sport, you will make tremendous progress. But, you have to design the programme correctly.

At the moment, I am trying to increase the lbm of a rugby player and a basketball player. So, yeah, they are bulking. But, I let the diets I gave them deal with that and use the training sessions to develop the elements of fitness that they need for their sport. So, while they are increasing their body weight and getting stronger and more powerful, both of them are also increasing their speed and agility.

The basketball player lives in a different country to me; I train him online and he comes over to me for a day long workshop every 6 to 8 weeks. His coaches can't get over his progress.

So, the message here is that resistance training need not have any cons if you design the programme properly.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

ISSA CFT, SPN, FT, SSC, SFN
    NSCA CSCS

Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Nuno_AlveS has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Smile

Lifting is good to be stronger but with the grow up of the muscles you are not so faster as you were( i speak for my self)
    Be faster and stronger than the day before
    be slower and weak than the next day

watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) watchandsee23 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Environ View Post
    Resistance training is crucial for sports in this day and age, but you have to be careful about how you approach it. Traditionally, coaches said no to weight, believing it made their players bulky and slowed them down. They were part right. Heavy lifting with slow tempos all the time will do that. However, if you train scientifically and correctly for your sport, you will make tremendous progress. But, you have to design the programme correctly.

At the moment, I am trying to increase the lbm of a rugby player and a basketball player. So, yeah, they are bulking. But, I let the diets I gave them deal with that and use the training sessions to develop the elements of fitness that they need for their sport. So, while they are increasing their body weight and getting stronger and more powerful, both of them are also increasing their speed and agility.

The basketball player lives in a different country to me; I train him online and he comes over to me for a day long workshop every 6 to 8 weeks. His coaches can't get over his progress.

So, the message here is that resistance training need not have any cons if you design the programme properly.
    100% correct

you training has to do with the results you get. Yo will not get slower if you get bigger and stronger if you continue to run a lot. You have to balance feild time with weight room time. No cons from me either.

Registered User bernbabybern820's Avatar
    bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bernbabybern820 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SFreppinitbig View Post
    Hey, I added 15 LBS this offseason and it was great. More strength, advantage strength wise. But there are some negatives, like quickness and speed. I bulked up for baseball and ended up losing some of my quckness. I ended up having to change from SS to 3B. I tried stretching before and after but i guess that wasnt enough. I even did cardio for a month during cutting. Just watch out, ya the explosiveness and power is great but be wary of the downfall. Add any other pros or cons to this thread also.
    your diet caused you to gain 15 pounds not the weightlifting which also caused you to lose quickness and speed. and by the way doesnt quickness and explosiveness go hand in hand?

cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) cassie121 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well theres not really cons. IF you design your lifting to your sport. Different sports and postitions should be trained differently. For example with wrestling you need high reps and lower weight because muscle endurence and strenth is what your looking for not size while in football lower reps and higher weight is often the prime choice. Oh and your diet more likely then not had something to do with it.
    "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and couragous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go" Joshua 1:9 NIV

SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50) SFreppinitbig will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In my fitst month i gained 9 pounds, I didn't overeat or anything, i guess it was muscle memory and n00b gains (worked out a little in frosh football but not seriously). The next month I gained 3.5 pounds, then 2.5 pounds. I then started a cut in the 4th month, did HIIT and lost a little strength in the month cut but did lose 7.5 pounds in the 5 weeks. I started out at 174, went up to 189 then down to 181.5. Then I switched from Rippetoes to Bill Starr 5X5. In the 6 weeks that I've done that I have gone up to 183.5 (this is when I started using creatine). I did agility like jumprope and others. I weighed myself in the morning al the time after i pissed and shat. I rode my bike every day. I would ride it to school and the gym. So since i worked out 3 days per week i biked 2 miles on offdays and 6 miles on the gym days. The biking often wasn't real intense but it did slightly get my heartbeat up since i had to go up some hills and such. Allright, thats my story, anyone care to correct it? My diet is now real good, i'm eating more now than before. Many times befor eI'd have like a piece oft oast for breakfast, now i have eggs. I have eggs everday and tune on my workout days. I also east cottage every night, 1/2 serving of CC with ON Casein on gym nights and a serving of CC on offnights.

5-10, 170 16% BF

SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoCalDevil5969 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    THERE IS NOT A SINGLE CON FOR WEIGHT TRAINING FOR SPORTS! period. if you lose flexibility and quickness, you are not training correctly for your sport. although weight training is very important, you must do other things as well (such as plyometrics, running, and other sport-specific training). anyone who tells you not to lift to improve at your sport is wrong. just train correctly and you will succeed.

bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bikestud125 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SoCalDevil5969 View Post
    THERE IS NOT A SINGLE CON FOR WEIGHT TRAINING FOR SPORTS! period. if you lose flexibility and quickness, you are not training correctly for your sport. although weight training is very important, you must do other things as well (such as plyometrics, running, and other sport-specific training). anyone who tells you not to lift to improve at your sport is wrong. just train correctly and you will succeed.
    I agree
    White Sox fan

xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) xKKx7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    oh baby, hes completely rite
    1 Corinthians 6:19-20

19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dumac has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    if you still work on your legs you shouldn't get slower you might actually get faster especially with sprinting.

like i said before if you work out a lot your bound to put on a few pounds which in wrestling can bump you up a weight class. Right now i go 125 so i generally wrestle freshmen and sophmores but ocassionally i get a junior or senior in the mix.

I can't do plyometrics since my lifts arent good enough yet. It is said that u gotta squat 1.5 times ur bodyweight before u star tplyometrics and have them actually be usefull. I have to lose weight anyways, I'm 185, but probably 170 lean.

5-10, 170 16% BF

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Pro: a safer, controlled, progressive method of increasing your strength, endurance, and power. Counteract potential imbalances inherant to your sport for good health. Help rehabilitate from injuries.

Con: can build more muscle than you need to perform the tasks in your sport, which can add more bodyweight and reduce your speed if you are unable to increase your power production to reach same speeds with your new weight. Takes time away from doing drills. Learns neural patterns not directly transferable to sport which can take away from efficiency if not mentally separated.

hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hydrolize has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    for sports such as wrestling and boxing ...

you want to keep your weight down. main concentration here is resistance and core training. you want to be as strong as possible in a low weight class your body is able to handle.

Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000) Malodrax is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by SFreppinitbig View Post
    I can't do plyometrics since my lifts arent good enough yet. It is said that u gotta squat 1.5 times ur bodyweight before u star tplyometrics and have them actually be usefull. I have to lose weight anyways, I'm 185, but probably 170 lean.
    those guidlines are BS... sprinting is the most plyometric activity you can do but you don't have to be able to squat 1.5 times your BW to sprint now do you???

The key is making sure you have the right form and making sure you don't do too many high intensity plyos. Volume needs to be low aswell. Exersises like bounds, broad jumps, tuck jumps, low depth jumps are all great.