4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Homemade T-Handle

I found this video this morning and had to come home early to make one and try it out. WHOAAA!!!! I'll be feeling it tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4WQRYtOU2c
    Attached Images

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice cheap alternative to a heavy kettlebell.

Whats securing the weights at the bottom? Is it just a pipe fitting?

Not seen pipe like that in this country but I might try and find some to give this a go.

4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) 4MEandThem is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A flange. You can see it in the vid.

Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Essexlad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    yeah didn't know what it was called, thanks!

cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

That is cool, clever and affordable! Repped for the post.

When I build mine, I'm going to go with more than just one gear clamp to prevent the plates from sliding and squashing my hands though.

Those pipes and fittings are commonly used throughout North America for natural gas lines and are usually referred to as "black iron pipe" or "gas pipe". You can find them in just about any hardware or home improvement store. If anybody finds or knows of something similar in the UK, please share that info in this thread.
    Last edited by cndGuy; 03-05-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Keeptryin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    nice find man,ive got tons of that stuff

Originally Posted by cndGuy View Post

When I build mine, I'm going to go with more than just one gear clamp to prevent the plates from sliding and squashing my hands though.

Those pipes and fittings are commonly used throughout North America for natural gas lines and are usually referred to as "black iron pipe" or "gas pipe". You can find them in just about any hardware or home improvement store. If anybody finds or knows of something similar in the UK, please share that info in this thread.

I think a regular screw on collar would be fine but I only had Olympic ones. I also wanted to find a use for some standard weights I had but wasn't using.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    As you can see that is from the Rosstraining.com website.
    I am a moderator over there and will tell you that there is a full article, including instructions on how to make one of them there.
    Go to the "article" section and click on the T-handle one.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

Originally Posted by buffbrown21 View Post
    As you can see that is from the Rosstraining.com website.
    I am a moderator over there and will tell you that there is a full article, including instructions on how to make one of them there.
    Go to the "article" section and click on the T-handle one.

He has some excellent vids. Thanks!

boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000) boxertim is just really nice. (+1000)
    that thing jsut looks like the threads could stip while in mid swing.....how string is that stuff?

tim
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 12

https://www.youtube.com/user/solvedphysicsproblem

117 videos showing the solutions to all highschool physics problems that could possibly come up.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by boxertim View Post
    that thing jsut looks like the threads could stip while in mid swing.....how string is that stuff?

tim
    That's a very good question; tapered pipe thread was never meant to handle tensile loads like that. It might be okay; it might not. Same with the fittings.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10) cndGuy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by boxertim View Post
    In the video he states that he's tested his unit up to 155.8 lbs.

www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    In the video he states that he's tested his unit up to 155.8 lbs.
    Yeah, many of the Ross training board members have made their own and had a decent amount of weight on them with no issues reported.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No matter how careful you are , thats a horrible back problem in the making.

Originally Posted by mikieson View Post
    Thats like saying deads are bad for your back.
    It's a great exercise for the lower back/glute/ham area.
    Generally the only way people hurt themselves on execises like this is using too much weight and/or crap technique.

Been looking, the only place online I can find anything like it is galvanised steel pipes with fittings, but they only sell in bulk. Might try a builders merchants.

I've only seen it used for railings in this country, gas mains here are huge great pipes, and internally we use crappy copper pipes.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    I think thats the first thing I have ever fully agreed with you on.

Originally Posted by Essexlad View Post
    Generally the only way people hurt themselves on execises like this is using too much weight and/or crap technique.
    No its not like deads and it doesn't work anything deads don't. Dynamic quick movements like this are far more stress on you than you would think from the weight involved. All it would take is a tiny slip in your technique and you could blow your back apart. I can understand why you would want the explosive fast twitch muscle for boxing/MMA I just think that doing Olympic lifts would give you exactly the same explosive strength with less stress to the back.

Another thing to remember is that this was used at 155#'s as a low rep building exercise by a guy who can deadlift over 500#'s. It would be pretty easy for someone inexperienced to overload the bar.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Originally Posted by Wildtim View Post
    I think thats the first thing I have ever fully agreed with you on.

No its not like deads and it doesn't work anything deads don't. Dynamic quick movements like this are far more stress on you than you would think from the weight involved. All it would take is a tiny slip in your technique and you could blow your back apart. I can understand why you would want the explosive fast twitch muscle for boxing/MMA I just think that doing Olympic lifts would give you exactly the same explosive strength with less stress to the back.

Another thing to remember is that this was used at 155#'s as a low rep building exercise by a guy who can deadlift over 500#'s. It would be pretty easy for someone inexperienced to overload the bar.

I didn't mean the movement was like a deadlift, Deads are just normally demonised for being bad for your back. They aren't the person just isn't doing them right/use too much weight.

It's not like a deadlift, but it is a great accesory exercise for it.
    Things like Speed deadslifts, Dimmel deadlifts, pull throughs and good mornings (which are all excellent deadlift/squat accessory exercises) all work the same area, and are (or can be) done dynamically. Sure you can hurt yourself. But only if you aren't careful or aren't performing them correctly.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by Essexlad; 03-07-2009 at 12:45 PM.

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    According to you and some other diehards out there...EVERY exercise is perfect and not dangerous. So I guess jumping off a building is good too? Its great for your legs..

At 50lbs how is it that much different than swinging a kettlebell? I did 3 sets of 15 swings and my abs felt more worked than my back. It really got the heart going too. I liked doing the excercise and doubt I will hurt myself at 50lbs. I don't think i would try swinging the max I could lift but 50 felt good.

According to you and some other diehards out there...EVERY exercise is perfect and not dangerous. So I guess jumping off a building is good too? Its great for your legs..
    Every exercise isn't perfect, some people simply aren't built for deadlifting, some people simply can't bench without their RC hurting. Hence 'generally'
    I'm hardly a diehard, I did say if you know what you're doing, and stay within your limits, thats all.

2 people in my family have put their backs out just from bending over to pick things up off the floor. Should I stop picking up the morning paper? No.
    Last edited by Essexlad; 03-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by 4MEandThem View Post
    At 50lbs how is it that much different than swinging a kettlebell? I did 3 sets of 15 swings and my abs felt more worked than my back. It really got the heart going too. I liked doing the excercise and doubt I will hurt myself at 50lbs. I don't think i would try swinging the max I could lift but 50 felt good.
    At 50 or so its not that much different than a kettlebell swing, at #130 its a bit more.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I figured I'd add to this old thread, rather than create another.

I made my own t handle, but with the following modifications: Instead of standard size made of 3/4 inch pipe, I made mine olympic size. I'd gotten rid of just about all of my standard plates, but olympic plates are abundant in my home gym. I used 1 1/2" pipe for the loading pin, and I used a cap at the end instead of a floor flange. I used the cap for two reasons: First, I got it at Habitat for Humanity for a dime instead of paying five or six bucks for a floor flange at the hardware store; and, second, the plates wouldn't rest flat on the floor flange anyway. I bought a short chunk of 1" pipe from Habitat that had fresh threads on both ends, so I cut 4 inches off each side to make use of the threads for the grips. Using the 1" pipe for the grips makes the handles about the same dimensions as on competition kettlebells. I used a 1" t joint, and I added a coupler on the loading pin side to accommodate its larger diameter. I made the loading pin 9" in length so that the project would have similar height to a competition kettlebell and so that I wouldn't bang the thing on the floor when doing swings. Now, I could have used a 1 1/2" t joint and added hex bushings on the handles, but that would have made the handle too bulky and just a bit too wide. Besides, It would have been needlessly more expensive.

Turns out the t hendle makes an excellent grip machine. I hang my olympic bar across my power rack about a foot above the floor. Resting the loaded t handle directly under the olympic bar, I'm able to put my palms on the olympic bar and pull the t handle up with my fingers like you would on a grip machine.

So, anyway, I just thought I'd contribute my experience with this fun little project.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Looks like a neat project.

A deadlift is a controlled voluntary movement. The movement in the video uses the momentum of the weight so there's a big difference. No disrespect intended but the guy in the video even has a caption stating "I started with a mini swing to get the weight moving".
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉