Thread: Opinion needed

emizrahi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Opinion needed

Hi

I have been investigating the sports nutrition industry. From the research I have performed thus far it has become apparent that trainers often give recommendations for nutritional supplements (whey protein, amino acids). These suggestions generate sales for the supplement companies with no reward for trainers.

I was wondering why no platform exists for trainers to provide supplements to their customers, giving them the ability to earn supplementary income.

Any information around this would really be appreciated.

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    There actually are such platforms, from the majority of the supplement companies and stores.
    AdvoCare is the one I see the most, because it's like AmWay and they make the trainer feel like they are in business for himself/herself. They make it easy to physically sell the stuff to your clients.
    GNC has an affiliate program that lets you create a website of their products that you can point your clients to (and earn 12% of the sales).
    http://www.********/affiliate/index.jsp
    Vitamin Shoppe has a similar program:
    https://signup.cj.com/member/branded...hantid=1491126

And, of course, the site you are on right now has its own affiliate program:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/affiliate.htm

If you are going to be recommending the stuff anyways, it might not be too bad, but you do walk a fine line of making it look like a conflict of interest.
    Last edited by cthulhupun; 01-15-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    There actually are such platforms, from the majority of the supplement companies and stores.
    AdvoCare is the one I see the most, because it's like AmWay and they make the trainer feel like they are in business for himself/herself. They make it easy to physically sell the stuff to your clients.
    GNC has an affiliate program that lets you create a website of their that you can point your clients to (and earn 12% of the sales).
    http://www.********/affiliate/index.jsp
    Vitamin Shoppe has a similar program:
    https://signup.cj.com/member/branded...hantid=1491126

And, of course, the site you are on right now has its own affiliate program:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/affiliate.htm

If you are going to be recommending the stuff anyways, it might not be too bad, but you do walk a fine line of making it look like a conflict of interest.
    This.

I just had a big discussion about this on Linkedin. Let's be honest; Most supplements out there simply don't work. I take £6 worth of supps a month (Whey and creatine and both in normal, non-bodybuilding amounts). How on earth can I reasonably sell £100+ worth of supps to my clients each month? I also put this in today's blog "How to spot a bad PT" on my website. I just think PTs should not be selling crap. And if a PT does think Herbalife is appropriate for his client he should hand back his nutrition cert IMO
    I see loads of gyms in the UK with PTs selling Herbalife and "forever living" ****, it doesn't work..now go away and have your clients spend the money on more sessions and proper nutrition advice.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think if you want to sell supplements, you should work in a shop.

Our job is to teach correct movement, and offer general advice on nutrition. People do their jobs best when they stick to doing their jobs, and not some other sht.

Registered User Teethatyourfeet's Avatar
    Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    I think if you want to sell supplements, you should work in a shop.

Our job is to teach correct movement, and offer general advice on nutrition. People do their jobs best when they stick to doing their jobs, and not some other sht.
    I really don't see why you can't do your job to maximum and still offer a canister of protein if they want it.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Sure. And why not sell them a pair of workout tights and a used car, too?

At what point do you stop being a trainer and start being a sales clerk?

Focus on doing your actual job, you'll do your job better that way.

JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnDavis111 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Sincerely I think most intelligent people will resent a trainer trying to sell them something. Reasonable people can tell when someone is trying to "sell" them on crap. All it would take is one bad experience with something like that and you lose your client. As we talk about this I think of Doctors and how they work with Big Pharma. I know the reputation of doctors in general has taken a HUGE hit the last 15+ years. And I think it is common knowledge at this point that *most Doctors are all about the money and care little for the patient. I am willing to bet that their profession had a similar discussion to this one around the time pharma reps starting visiting doctors offices and paying them to prescribe their drugs.
    http://www.fox59.com/news/crime/wxin-elwood-robbers-elwood-father-fights-off-three-robbers-to-protect-his-town-20111230,0,900731.column

http://fox59.com/2013/05/28/local-hero-turns-chance-encounter-into-job-as-police-officer/#axzz2WE4TeAgn

Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Teethatyourfeet has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So... if your client is going to be using, say, whey protein... you'd be opposed to selling them your stuff?

Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    an advocare guy will tell you, "bro its better for them to buy it from someone who knows that theyre talking about, then some guy making commish at GNC". Ya its bull****. You are still SELLING something to them. We can make recommendations as trainers, but thats where I draw the line. I'm no RD and I am sure you're not either. Just focus on training and doing what you were taught to do.
    "There is no one right way, everyone is different"

-B.S. Pre-Med/Biology from CMU and ex-CMU Wide Receiver
    -NASM CPT, PES, CES
    -Current trainer of elite athletes
    -Future Elite BowHunter and certified Lungcutter

Official 1st Phorm Ambassador

https://coachmatt.1stphorm.com/

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Teethatyourfeet View Post
    So... if your client is going to be using, say, whey protein... you'd be opposed to selling them your stuff?
    I don't even give my Myprotein ref code. Protein and creatine are the two supps I mainly recommend to some people (Only to some and only when they need it) and I will tell them where I buy mine but won't sell them anything. It means I get respect from my clients, and when my clients talk to the clients of some Herbaquack they will tell them that A; they only spend £6 a month on supps and not £100 and that B; their PT has given them a great and cheap site to go to. Boom! Herbaquack's client will be my client soon enough as they have suddenly lost all respect for their trainer.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

Originally Posted by Footballa_19 View Post
    an advocare guy will tell you, "bro its better for them to buy it from someone who knows that theyre talking about, then some guy making commish at GNC". Ya its bull****. You are still SELLING something to them. We can make recommendations as trainers, but thats where I draw the line. I'm no RD and I am sure you're not either. Just focus on training and doing what you were taught to do.
    Yeah, fair enough. I just don't see how it can be a conflict of interest or anything. Mind you, I'm not certified as of yet (a few more weeks... studying is getting longer, haha), but I'm sure I'll start seeing what you guys do.

MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Obviously as a trainer your main focus should never be on selling supplements. However seeing that it's a huge market and most people who workout use some form of supplement, as a trainer it's our responsibility to educate ourselves on them. In some ways I agree with Kyle, but he's always a little harsh on getting his point across.

I think the only reason to get into supplement sales is if you have your own gym or studio and you just want to have them available for your clients for their convenience. But Supplement sales, while we should be knowledgeable on the products, we want to stay away from looking like salesmen as much as possible. It's like what John said, a lot of people put their guard up when you try to sell them something. You don't want to sacrifice a clients trust in you just to make a couple extra bucks.
    Mike Esparza
    Esparza Fitness
    Personal Training & Fitness Classes
    www.esparzafitness.com
    www.********.com/esparzafitness

Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I dont understand how youre missing the conflict of interest. As soon as you sell a certain supplement, you will be associated with it as your personal preference (whether it is or it isnt) and a client will ask themselves "well if he sells out for a protein powder, what else is on his agenda?" aside from a multivitamin or some fishoil, I very rarely recommend supps to people, and I also very rarely have people ask. The reason being that most people aren't interested in hypertrophy, elite performance, big strength, or mass gaining. Most people simply want to lose weight and be healthy. I have maybe one client that I recommend supps to, only because they asked, so I stay educated and tell them the minimum they need. I say let your training speak for itself. Its a fine line, there's a BIG difference between being educated on supps and trying to make money. Why risk it? There's nothing to gain, and in this industry your REPUTATION means everything. You'll find that out as you go
    "There is no one right way, everyone is different"

-B.S. Pre-Med/Biology from CMU and ex-CMU Wide Receiver
    -NASM CPT, PES, CES
    -Current trainer of elite athletes
    -Future Elite BowHunter and certified Lungcutter

Official 1st Phorm Ambassador

https://coachmatt.1stphorm.com/

Originally Posted by Footballa_19 View Post
    The reason being that most people aren't interested in hypertrophy, elite performance, big strength, or mass gaining.
    That's sorta the key, I guess. I've obviously never trained anyone, but I figured there would be a large client base looking to do those exact things.

Thanks for giving me some clarity.

MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10) MikeEsp_Fit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Teethatyourfeet View Post
    That's sorta the key, I guess. I've obviously never trained anyone, but I figured there would be a large client base looking to do those exact things.

Thanks for giving me some clarity.

There actually is a very large client base looking to do those exact things, the problem is that their the most stubborn ones to get as clients. People that train more with weights tend to be more hard headed when it comes to asking for help. It also just depends on what kind of trainer you are and what kind of clients you'd attract. About half of my clients are focused on weight loss and the other half are focus on gaining lean mass. It all just depends. When it comes to a topic like this, there really is no right or wrong answer. If you want to promote supplements you just have to make sure that you pick your audience and promote them to the right people. No one wants to work with a trainer that's always looking to sell them something. But clients do ask me about supplements a lot and I have my favorite brands that I recommend to them.
    Mike Esparza
    Esparza Fitness
    Personal Training & Fitness Classes
    www.esparzafitness.com
    www.********.com/esparzafitness

Registered User ericzimmerman34's Avatar
    ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I suggest/sell sups all the time with no supplement commission and enjoy it. It's keeps us free it make the best suggestion based on their goals, progress, diet etc
    Obssession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication.

If your not nervous before going to the gym your probably not working out hard enough (my new favorite quote)

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science
    Cooper Functional Trainer Cert.
    NASM CES in progress

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If my trainer tried to sell me stuff, I would get a new trainer/gym. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I buy one service and people try to sell me a bunch of other stuff. I went to get my hair done once, and before they would ring me up, they kept hassling me to try and buy their beauty products. I never went back and told all of my friends to stay clear.