Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    www.mutantfitness.com buffbrown21's Avatar
    buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000) buffbrown21 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by luckey1981 View Post
    hello,

how are the rogue rings compared with the extreme rings??

"metal vs plastic"
    You may have wanted to start a new thread w/ this as a topic.
    However, I will answer you the best I can. The Rogue rings are metal, as you stated and because of this, obviously a good bit stronger and will last forever.
    I dont have Rogue Rings, but everyone that has them that I have talked to said they are awesome.

I have the Xtreme Rings and am perfectly happy with them. The plastic is very durable and has a texture that feels good to the hands. The straps are more than strong enough and easy to adjust. I believe these are a bit cheaper than the Rogue rings (maybe by about $30?).
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member #14

www.ShankAZombie.com

daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10) daringone is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I use the total gym and I love it for a quick late night or early morning workout.

Of course I love me gym membership more.

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've got some decent portable equipment for the upper body, but the lower body still poses a problem. * I've looked at the IM2000 but it's overkill in my opinion and not very portable. I'm still looking for a "portable" low cost, quality squat cage with a pull-up bar ** which can be rapidly and repeatedly assembled and disassembled. Something like this rack but capable of standing the abuse of being quickly and repeatedly disassembled: Required load for squat cage: ~ 500+ lbs.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/8010pr.html

I might simply go with York's FTS squat/bench stands which I can purchase for around $300 which includes the cost of shipping.

Two adjustable metal sawhorses with two stop bars running between them or simply using sawhorses are safety bars, perhaps?
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...RQ/propworld0b

* QuadBlaster is a very good device, but not sufficient for working the lower body.
    ** The pull-up bar is not mandatory since low cost alternatives are available ...
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-29-2010 at 09:59 PM.

tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50) tpreitzel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm still wondering if I want to restrict my gym to the IM DB system or add an olympic barbell set for squats, deadlifts, etc. I really don't want to spend the additional money or consume more space with an olympic set. **

Since I have a 100lb V-Max vest, I can add that weight to my squats. If I just purchase IM's straight bar for $100, I can squat 232 lbs * with it and add another 100lb with the vest for a total weight of 332 lbs in the squat. Naturally, the bench press with the straight bar will be limited to 232 lbs * which isn't enough even with my slow 10 sec. repetitions. If I could get ~ 325-350 lbs from an IM set with their straight bar, I'd have the ability to squat 425-450 lbs while wearing the vest. Furthermore, I could bench upward of 325-350 lbs which would be enough with my slow repetitions. This solution would be almost ideal as far as building good mass and maintaining portability.

* I'll have to contact IM and see if the weight on their straight bar can be increased from the rated capacity of 232 lbs or convince them to design a newer bar with the ability to handle ~ 325-350 lbs (inc. bar) from their upgrade package. (165 lb) IM would probably have to lengthen their current bar by about 12" to accommodate 4 additional 22.5 lb plates (90 lbs).

** If I forgo an olympic set, I'll probably forgo York's FTS squat/bench stands as well since they'll be overkill for ~ 350 lbs. I'll probably risk it and settle for Valor Athletic's BD-8 set for ~ $180. True, the BD-8 is rated at 250 lbs, but it'll probably safely hold at least another 50 lbs or so if needed.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 10-31-2010 at 05:13 AM.

Tim from Ironmaster says IM made a business decision not to accommodate their 165 lb upgrade package and thereby extend the threads of their current bar 6" on each side for a total of 12" additional inches. (total bar length from 66" to 78") Sure, Tim, you'll have to retool your current equipment, but then again, you'll likely gain additional customers by doing so and can simply replace your current bar with the retooled one. Tim, you need to reevaluate your decision as it doesn't seem too friendly for business over a longer term.

Now, I'm looking for a straight bar with a standard diameter of 1" and capable of supporting ~ 310 lbs of weight which naturally doesn't include the weight of the bar itself. Most importantly, the length from the welded collar to the end of the bar must be at least 18" to support IM's 165 lb DB upgrade....
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 11-01-2010 at 06:22 PM.

sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sherman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Take a look at the the Free-Spotter http://www.shemworks.com.

If you can figure out a way to hang the ropes in your environment, you could do your heavy squats with ease. No real need for a full length olympic bar, just one long enough for your grip plus the plates.

Sherm

Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    Take a look at the the Free-Spotter http://www.shemworks.com.

If you can figure out a way to hang the ropes in your environment, you could do your heavy squats with ease. No real need for a full length olympic bar, just one long enough for your grip plus the plates.

Sherm
    You meant www.shermworks.com , I think.

Anyway, it's a fascinating concept, but it does require strong ceiling support which lifters using portable systems tend to lack, e.g. RVs or apartments. I'm still looking for a 1" bar in the interim.

Anyway, I'll keep this concept in mind going forward. Thanks!
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 11-01-2010 at 05:53 PM.

My original guess of 18" from the welded collar to the end of the bar was a little optimistic. The actual minimal figure is 16" for IM's 165 lb upgrade. This 16" figure includes enough length, i.e. 14.5", for ALL of the weight plus 1" for a spinlock with .5" free. Assuming a 30 lb bar, the total bar weight would be ~ 330 lbs.

Ader Fitness actually makes a good quality bar with a 14" length, not quite enough unfortunately. With a 14" length from the welded collar to the end of the bar, I could place 260 lbs of weight (12.5") on the bar for a total bar weight of ~ 290 lbs.

CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CFF has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Squat Stands, Olympic Rings, Kettlebells, Bands (For pull-ups as well as push-ups), etc
    These stands are portable so when you are not using them you can put them away and they are rated at 600 lbs.
    cff@christiansfitnessfactory.com
    “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Unfortunately, I had already purchased Valor's BD-8 weight stands before seeing CFF's offering. The BD-8 does have an adjustable footprint, though. Both should work alright with a load of ~ 300 lbs.

I decided on this 6 foot threaded bar from Cap as a temporary solution * :

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-Re...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The grip area of a 6' bar is rather limited (42" in this case) so the use of stands is pretty much a necessity. I've could have selected a 7' bar which would have offered much greater area for grip, but it really wasn't necessary and required even more precious space. I haven't received the bar yet, but it should hold at least 260 lbs of IM's weights. Hopefully, I can cram at least an additional 10 lbs on the bar. The 6' bar itself weighs 17+ lbs.

* I've had a private offer to build a personal bar to my specifications which I will likely accept within a month. My specifications for this unique bar will likely be very close to:

1. 45" grip area evenly divided into 3 sections with the middle 15" section smooth stock and the outer two 15" sections knurled.
    2. Approximately .5" width for each welded collar (if possible) (1" total)
    3. 16" of sleeve area on each end of the bar to hold the weights (32" total)
    4. 1" diameter stock capable of carrying 300 lbs with minimal flexing

Total bar length: 78"
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 11-04-2010 at 03:04 AM.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tpreitzel View Post
    Unfortunately, I had already purchased Valor's BD-8 weight stands before seeing CFF's offering. The BD-8 does have an adjustable footprint, though. Both should work alright with a load of ~ 300 lbs.

I decided on this 6 foot threaded bar from Cap as a temporary solution * :

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-Re...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The grip area of a 6' bar is rather limited (42" in this case) so the use of stands is pretty much a necessity. I've could have selected a 7' bar which would have offered much greater area for grip, but it really wasn't necessary and required even more precious space. I haven't received the bar yet, but it should hold at least 260 lbs of IM's weights. Hopefully, I can cram at least an additional 10 lbs on the bar. The 6' bar itself weighs 17+ lbs.

* I've had a private offer to build a personal bar to my specifications which I will likely accept within a month. My specifications for this unique bar will likely be very close to:

1. 45" grip area evenly divided into 3 sections with the middle 15" section smooth stock and the outer two 15" sections knurled.
    2. Approximately .5" width for each welded collar (if possible) (1" total)
    3. 16" of sleeve area on each end of the bar to hold the weights (32" total)
    4. 1" diameter stock capable of carrying 300 lbs with minimal flexing

Total bar length: 78"
    Another suggestion...
    http://ironmind-store.com/Pillars-of...ductinfo/1227/
    or
    http://www.theg2scart.com/product_p/bwsp-r04sr.htm

or maybe sawhorses...

Newyorkbarbells has some 'trap bar stands' which might work, but I remember a post of somebody saying they weren't too great in terms of durability.

Do NOT buy the "Cap" barbell listed in post #100 from Amazon unless you're looking for a decent 1" threaded bar with 11.5" sleeves and capable of holding maybe 210 lbs. The grip area of this bar is 48" which is too long while the sleeve area is far too short for my IM plates. I was hoping this 1" bar would be similar to the RB-72t which should have at least 14" sleeves.

1" Diameter 7' long Standard Bar With 15" Sleeves

Rickey Dale Crain has found a 1" standard bar consisting of 15" sleeves for use with IM's DB set, i.e. the holes of the plates averaging ~ 25.5 mm. This particular bar comes with rubber inserts on the collars which can be removed to achieve a full 15" sleeve. I don't have the bar yet, but I'll let you know. With 1/4" spring clamps, one should be able to fit nearly ALL of IM's 165 lb. upgrade kit on the bar, i.e. 14.5" of weight on each sleeve. Although this bar barely leaves 1/4" after placing the clamp on the bar, it should work if care is taken lifting ... finally.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 11-18-2010 at 08:00 AM.

I thank Rickey Crain of Crain's Muscle World for finding a 1" bar with ~ 15" sleeves. This bar is distributed by Ader Sporting Goods and is called the RB-84 * (smooth sleeves so a small 1/4" spring clamp can be used). The bar is naturally 7' (84") long. However, any potential buyer should be aware that machining tolerances will likely rear their ugly head in some manner. For example, one of IM's 5 lb plates was off a bit (hole was too small for the RB-84) which required some moderate use of a round file. Even then, some of IM's plates would fit on the sleeves on only one side of the bar due to rather sloppy machining of the bar, i.e. the sleeve on one side of the bar has a small lip at it's tip. However, out of ~ 300 lbs. of IM plates, only one 5 lb plate required any filing. As the bar and plates wear, the problem will gradually go away and the plates will be usable on both sleeves. Overall, I'm satisfied with this bar although I'd like IM to rethink their refusal to retool their current straight bar to accommodate their 165 lb DB upgrade. IM's current bar with a limited 232 lb capacity (including the bar) is just plain silly and I'm surprised that they sell any straight bars at all with such a limited weight capacity. The RB-84 should fill IM's void nicely. I'll post some pictures in a couple of months of the RB-84 with ~ 290 lbs of weight on it as I don't think the sleeves are quite long enough to accommodate a full 300 lbs. of IM's weights... even with the 3/16" rubber inserts removed.

* Cold rolled steel, i.e. cheap. I'm unsure of it's rated capacity, but the bar flexes a bit with barely 200 lbs on it so 290 lbs should be interesting. The bar itself weighs ~ 17 lbs.
    Last edited by tpreitzel; 12-13-2010 at 08:27 PM.

To my portable gym, I've added Fat Gripz to use with standard 1" bars on both the IronMaster DBs and RB-84. Because of back-order, I haven't received the Fat Gripz yet.

Next, I've purchased Atomic Athletic's iron boots with a 20" bar so I can work legs in addition to doing squats and deadlifts. I haven't received the iron boots yet, but will update this thread when I receive them. I suspect that I should be able to place ~ 70 lbs of IronMaster plates on each boot, but I've yet to verify.

BTW, one CAN create a NICE portable gym, but it's a bit of work selecting the proper gear.

bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bdbc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any updates on your portable gym? How did that spin lock bar hold up to the 300 pounds of ironmaster plates? Did you ever get that custom bar made. I'm looking to possibly go the ironmaster route but also looking into getting the PowerBlock 175 set and building my own barbell conversion kit.