rcowell17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chest Issues - any advice?

My question is about my chest. I have been lifting for about a year hard. I had no muscle and started benching at 95lbs and have worked my way up to a max of 145lbs. I am on 4-day split working my chest once a week. I do 5 sets of 2 compound excercises (DB press and Incline bench) along with 3 sets of 2 isolation exercises which I mix up (pec deck, flyes, etc.) I have been stuck here for 2 months and don't see any progression. I have tried to decrease my weight to get all reps and such.

Any advice on excercises or even a new routine? I have been using the current routine for about 5 weeks and noticed everything else going up besides my chest.

startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50) startstopping will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rcowell17 View Post
    My question is about my chest. I have been lifting for about a year hard. I had no muscle and started benching at 95lbs and have worked my way up to a max of 145lbs. I am on 4-day split working my chest once a week. I do 5 sets of 2 compound excercises (DB press and Incline bench) along with 3 sets of 2 isolation exercises which I mix up (pec deck, flyes, etc.) I have been stuck here for 2 months and don't see any progression. I have tried to decrease my weight to get all reps and such.

Any advice on excercises or even a new routine? I have been using the current routine for about 5 weeks and noticed everything else going up besides my chest.
    Im no expert by any means, but it seems like in a year you should have more progress. What is your diet like?

preacher of simplicity godsamurai's Avatar
    godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500) godsamurai is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    u have to keep in mind even adding an 1 inch thick of pure muscle takes long time and nothing grows magcally fast.

a lot of people expect more than reality and for you working out only for an year isn't enough. If you look at jacked guys at the gym it's because they been working out for years, you will be even surprised to see a guy looking 20ish is actually late 30s.

Personally my chest didn't grow even after I was able to do 135 for 10 reps like nothing and moved on to next weight but all I get is chest pain and no gain. It took years to grow.

u can do dirty bulking if ur really concerned with size and put some mass on your chest but it will be more of fat than a muscle, but at least u will appear bigger with shirt and chest popping out.

also keep in mind people who work out chest at the gym gets pumped up and their chest seems bigger before they go home and shrinks it back, so try not to be judgemental of others body.

the exercises you do is fine. You probably add declined bench there. Just be patient and u will get there oneday.
    Dymatize ISO-100 protein: 25g protein, 1 carb, 0 fat, 0 lactose, 0 sugar
    That's all you need.

Personal Dymatize protein review (2011):

magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) magic15 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    maybe you could try switching up the order of your exercises, do a different angle on the bench, go in a completely different rep range, or work on your close grip bench press and focus on your triceps more
    East Coast Mecca
    http://bevfrancis.com/

coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50) coachpalmz will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Your routine is fine the way it is, I'd suggest switching things up every 3 months or so. You could even do chest twice a week if you space it out correctly. More than likely it's your diet that's playing a role. Keep up the hard work in the gym and EAT WELL!

Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000) Arathor is a complete loser! (-2000)

Best way to get past a bench plateau:

1.) Eat more. Increase your caloric surplus.
    2.) Hit your triceps HARD.

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

The possible things I can think of are:

1. If you aren't gaining weight, then eat more. You will inevitably hit a plateau when your weight remains the same.

2. If you are putting on weight, then you should revisit your bench technique. Make sure you are doing the exercise right.

3. Increase the frequency of your chest workouts. Hit chest twice a week. Do 10 sets of bench, as opposed to just 5.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A few tips to build chest:

1) db bench tends to give a much better pec contraction but bb is a better compound to work pecs and delts as a unit, so it's a good idea to incorporate both. A lot of guys do nothing but bb bench for years and many of them have to reach really high numbers before their chest looks decent.

2) decline bench is good for hitting chest by taking shoulders more out of the equation - not entirely, or course. A very slight decline is enough to have this effect without compromising hitting the clavicular (basically, upper) pec, while making it easy to load the weight. A lot of gyms have benches preset to a high decline, which is one reason I prefer to workout at home, I can control what equipment I have access to.

3) eat above maintenance + calories consumed working out to gain mass.

4) be patient, it will take a long time.

bennuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bennuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bennuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bennuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bennuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bennuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bennuk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Have you tried the cablecrossP?

preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10) preston_jep is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    MORE FOOD! Change your workout your body may be getting use to the same routine you need to give it a shock.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Your progress is lower than I would expect for year of training. My first instinct would be that you need to eat more. Are you being consistent, or are you missing workouts?

Have you tried a de-load?
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.