Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kaijuman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can you start mid 40's

I just wanted to throw this question out there. I sort of know the answer, but I'm just curious to see other perspectives on this.

Just to start off with, I'm 6'2" and currently just under 240 pounds (I was nearly 260 a couple of times)
    I'm now 44, and have been weight lifting a little. I have NEVER been in any kind of shape in my whole life. I have actually been overweight for the majority of my life.
    At one point when I was 28 I lost a lot of weight and was working out regularly, but after a series of serious events I gained all the weight back and then some.
    My weight has always "yo-yo'd" but I've never been in any kind of descent shape.

Over the past 8 months I've been doing some weight lifting with a friend who is only 26. He has potential to do more with it (and can still lift more than me) but doesn't, although I'm a little more serious about it. That aside...
    I'm just wondering, now at 44 years old, if I decided to take this to the next level, realistically, what can I expect? I've been debating pursuing something more serious with this. Perhaps bodybuilding (not competitively) or even powerlifting (which has intrigued me for years).
    I suppose the sky is still the limit, and I know everyone will tell me... don't let my age hinder me. But I'm not getting "back" into shape (as a lot of people have talked about in their 40's)... I've never been in shape before. This is from scratch.
    But I decided that this is the only life I'm going to get, and if I don't do something now, I'll never know. I thought it would be cool, if at even just one point in my life I could have a little 'muscle' to speak of.
    But at 44... what would be some realistic goals?

Ok, I've typed enough here. Sorry for the book-long post, but I've had a lot going through my head regarding this lately.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Whether you are getting BACK into shape, or making the journey for the first time, your age isn't something that will hinder you.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kaijuman View Post
    I just wanted to throw this question out there. I sort of know the answer, but I'm just curious to see other perspectives on this.

Just to start off with, I'm 6'2" and currently just under 240 pounds (I was nearly 260 a couple of times)
    I'm now 44, and have been weight lifting a little. I have NEVER been in any kind of shape in my whole life. I have actually been overweight for the majority of my life.
    At one point when I was 28 I lost a lot of weight and was working out regularly, but after a series of serious events I gained all the weight back and then some.
    My weight has always "yo-yo'd" but I've never been in any kind of descent shape.

Over the past 8 months I've been doing some weight lifting with a friend who is only 26. He has potential to do more with it (and can still lift more than me) but doesn't, although I'm a little more serious about it. That aside...
    I'm just wondering, now at 44 years old, if I decided to take this to the next level, realistically, what can I expect? I've been debating pursuing something more serious with this. Perhaps bodybuilding (not competitively) or even powerlifting (which has intrigued me for years).
    I suppose the sky is still the limit, and I know everyone will tell me... don't let my age hinder me. But I'm not getting "back" into shape (as a lot of people have talked about in their 40's)... I've never been in shape before. This is from scratch.
    But I decided that this is the only life I'm going to get, and if I don't do something now, I'll never know. I thought it would be cool, if at even just one point in my life I could have a little 'muscle' to speak of.

Ok, I've typed enough here. Sorry for the book-long post, but I've had a lot going through my head regarding this lately.
    I would set goals and get after them. If you are uncertain of what your goals should be, I suggest getting into a structured program like 5x5 or starting strength. These programs help get you started and provide nice structure for making gains.

Set your goals and pursue them independent of what your friend thinks, does, or doesn't do. It would be nice if he is of one mind with you, but don't hold back because of him.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes

JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JimmyJonny is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I didnt start until last year after a shoulder surgery @ age 44. Even though I cant lift as good as I want, Ive still managed to become bigger and stronger than I was in my 20's. Everyone here will tell you the importance of recovery time. Most folks over 35 have been around long enough to have had some type of injury during their life. That is usually our biggest issue to deal with,,,,,but we do.

People here will help but ya gotta listen,,,,,if ya dont, they'll speak their mind. ( wont be pretty,lol)

pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pvsampson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP,seriously.Your join date is 2004!! How many over 44 have you seen here?

jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jack4403 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I might add that a medical exam would be a good idea, especially since you've never been in shape before according to your post. Make sure you have no underlying issues.

But yes, you can make progress, no question. Set attainable goals.

stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000) stayfit2008 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes,..I got serious at age 42
    2009 NGA Masters Pro Bodybuilder and Athlete.

"I dont stop when Im tired,..I stop when Im done"

Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quietmarc will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here's the thing: the older someone gets, the MORE important it is that they work out. Maybe you won't ever see your dream body, but the benefits of being in shape are HUGELY more important for an older person than for some young guy. You'll see a drastic improvement in your quality of life, a reduction in your risk of heart attack and stroke, better mental acuity, higher energy levels, and a longer and healthier life. Do you want to spend the last decades of your life feeling sluggish and battling health issue after health issue, or do you want to face it as strong as you can be and have more quality time to spend with your loved ones?

Make sure you go about it smartly and sanely, check with your doctor, etc, but really, the question isn't "Can I start now?" it's "Can I afford NOT to start now?"
    October 5, 2011 - 265lbs, 40% bodyfat
    January 8, 2013 -226lbs, 29% bodyfat
    April 16, 2013 - 215lbs, 25% bodyfat

tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You can do it.
    Non competitive bodybuilding isn't rocket science. You are saying you don't want to go on stage. You just want to look better than the man in the mirror. Right? That describes 95% of us on this forum.
    Don't get discouraged. Nobody on here got in the shape they are in over night. That includes you. Our bodies are a reflection of the way we've treated them for our whole life. You can turn it around, but it takes time. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Good luck. Post some pics. Show us your progress and we can encourage you along the way.

gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymblogger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You are never too old to start getting healthy or start working out The only thing that will stop you....is you. There are plenty of examples...Look at Tom Cruise. I just commented to my gf the other day that he looks better now at 50 than he ever has. Look at Roger Clemons. Steroid allegations or not, He refuses to quit and he looks just as good now as he did 20 yrs ago...There are examples everywhere. The rock is in his 40s now and he looks awesome!! Better now than he has ever looked...so dont make excuses and go for it!!! Good Luck
    Check out my gig at WWW.GYMBLOGGER.NET

If you want to contact me, it's easier to reach me on there. Just leave me an email on contact page and I'll get back to you.

commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50) commonguy001 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm going to be 44 in a few months and it's the same now as it was when I was in my 20s with a couple of exceptions already mentioned.
    Recovery takes longer (for me anyway) and I've been injured before so I need to be careful when working those areas.
    Other than that it's all about making the time and commitment to do it.
    My wife is stronger now in her mid 40s than she ever was when she was younger. Can't say the same for myself but I'm comfortable where I'm at.

Good luck with your journey

UpstateNY1965 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i Started to seriously get in shape Dec. 2011, First Goal was to lose the "Spare Tire" so I took a hard look at my eating habits, started lifting and doing Cardio about 5 days a week, I lost about 30 lbs in 6 months, then my next goal was to add some muscle so I started lifting heavier and hitting a different muscle group every other day. I still do cardio but only 2-3 days a week. Like you will hear from anyone here who has been overweight, Nutrition is 95% and going to the gym is 5% of getting in shape. I am now 47 and in the best shape of my life. You have to want this as a lifestyle, you can't just do it for a month and not see the results you were hoping for and quit. It takes years and years to look like most of the guys on here.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Quietmarc View Post
    Here's the thing: the older someone gets, the MORE important it is that they work out. Maybe you won't ever see your dream body, but the benefits of being in shape are HUGELY more important for an older person than for some young guy. You'll see a drastic improvement in your quality of life, a reduction in your risk of heart attack and stroke, better mental acuity, higher energy levels, and a longer and healthier life. Do you want to spend the last decades of your life feeling sluggish and battling health issue after health issue, or do you want to face it as strong as you can be and have more quality time to spend with your loved ones?

Make sure you go about it smartly and sanely, check with your doctor, etc, but really, the question isn't "Can I start now?" it's "Can I afford NOT to start now?"
    Very well said my young friend. You clearly have the perspective many twice your age have failed to achieve. Spread the word, follow your word and remember that it's not just how you can spend those decades but also how many decades you can add so that you may enjoy them. I wish all here would memorize your mantra. Bravo!!!
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

steve0192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    We're in a very similar situation. I'm 6'2, 46 years old and have been training for the last 6 months or so. I've been focused on fat loss for most of that time and have come down from about 260lbs to 204lbs and still losing.

I'd love to know what is achievable, but right now I'm enjoying the journey and I guess there's really only one way to find out what's possible.

Good luck with your transformation.

Steve

CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CaptChip40 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's the option OP, do nothing and continue to go down hill as your age increases? So when your 55,65,75 you will be way ahead of the game if you start now.
    Semper Fi.

Just play the cards you are dealt and STFU.

evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50) evo3129 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CaptChip40 View Post
    What's the option OP, do nothing and continue to go down hill as your age increases? So when your 55,65,75 you will be way ahead of the game if you start now.
    Spot on. I drank and smoked like a demon, ate like shyte and never lifted a barbell in anger until I turned 44. After lifting for 2 years am currently having the time of my life. I can't wait to get to the gym each day at the moment to test for a new compound lift PB.

The only way to find out what you're capable of is to do it.

JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JUSA has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I say: Yes. I'm not that old but currently I'm training with college aged athletes, firemen, police and one professional athlete. I'm not the best (and I'm not used to this kind of training) but it's a lot of fun and I'm seeing improvements. I would say to the OP, train as hard as you can, get plenty of sleep and eat well. You'll be fine

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have to say, this post raises my hackles for two reasons. First, I can't stand that over-used "take it to the next level." Augh! Just get off your duff and start working out.

Originally Posted by pvsampson View Post
    OP,seriously.Your join date is 2004!! How many over 44 have you seen here?
    Second, you've been a member here for 9 years - have you been under a rock all this time? It reeks of being a troll, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Originally Posted by Quietmarc View Post

You are wise beyond your years!

Originally Posted by CaptChip40 View Post
    Exactly! I started at 47 1/2, and while it's clear by now that I'll never achieve the size I had hoped for, I am way better off than if I had never started at all. I regret not starting 25 years earlier, but just starting to lift was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I feel better and I feel better about myself.

How YOU will fare depends on several factors (not necessarily in order of importance):

1. Your genetic potential: everyone's response to weight training differs.

2. Nutrition: as Ironwill says, you can't out-train bad nutrition.

3. Determination, perseverance, and patience: it's hard work, no way to sugar-coat it.

Those who say that genetics are not important invariably have good genetics. The innate ability to pack on muscle varies from person to person. But you can still look like crap even with great genetics in you just sit on the couch and don't stimulate those genes. You might have great genetics for muscle building. You might not. But you'll never know until you try. And even poor genetics with weight training will look better than without.

Nutrition is vitally important, even if your genetics are great. And the older you get, the more important it is to get your diet right. And that's hard work too. Any fool can lift, but the right nutrition makes a world of difference in your results.

Unless you have truly exceptional genetics, building muscle is a slog. I can't stand people who say they don't want to lift because "I don't want to get all big and muscly." I wish it were that easy! You have to keep at it month after month, year after year. You need to be a stubborn old coot.

There are a lot of people here who started in their 40s and have done exceptionally well. I am not one of them. But I have made progress and I think my body, such as it is, is the best it's ever been. Check out my bodyspace as a baseline of what you can do. I started late in life with very little intrinsic ability, but with a lot of stubborn determination. If I can do it, you can too. (Please, no comments from the peanut gallery saying, "dude, you haven't done it!" I'm way better than I used to be.) If you work at it, you are almost guaranteed (almost!) to do better.

Check out Ironwill and EB68, for example, to see what you might reasonably expect to achieve as someone who started up (not restarted) from scratch in their 40s. You might do even better. You might not. You might only have my ability or even - God forbid! - less than that. You won't know until you try. Really try!

And no matter what your genetic ability is, if you start working out now, start eating right, and keep at it, a year from now you WILL look better and - more importantly - feel better. And I guarantee that.

So just get over whatever is keeping you out of the gym and just go do it. I wish I had started at your age.
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I started to get serious about my weight and weight lifting at 56 and now I am in the best shape of my life. At 57 I can see good changes in my body. I am showing abs I never had before. My muscles are growing. So yes you can do this. It takes the want to the determination and the drive to do it. The only one stopping you is............YOU.

azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000) azstrengthcoach is just really nice. (+1000)
    Make your goal to be a little better each month than you were the month before

gatrus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As you can see in my profile, I actually got serious about turning my life around in the month of october. No more smoking, no more junk,(except that ocassional cheat meal) and doing some serious exercising. Well its been close to 4 months, and i,m still in the gym 4 days a week and on my off days I do cardio at home. I am 48 years old and having the time of my life. I can't wait to get to the gym every other night and have not felt this good both mentally or physically. As an added bonus my body is starting to change. All my pants fall off my waist, I see muscles that I did not know I get eveer see. I have some short term goals and some long term goals. The only thing that never changes are the basic fundamentals:
    1. If youcheat on your diet, you are only cheating yourself. It is not the age factor that does not get you fit, it is because you are cheating.
    2. Perseverance, Even when you don't feel like going to the gym. GO. Once you get there things should go smoothly.
    3. Have fun doing it. It is not a burdon. As soon as you see your body change, the motivation becomes huge.

A winner never quits, a Quitter never wins

Cheers

rpay10324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would say staying persistent is key. You need to make your workouts a daily routine like brushing your teeth. It's just part of your everyday life. I am almost 51 and although i have/had a variety of aches,pains and injuries, i couldn't imagine not training.

TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10) TyHope is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Its all in your mind. You're as young as you want to be. Age means nothing. There are guys in their 90's still lifting.

MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10) MaxFitTrainer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kaijuman View Post

OP, its not your body that has to change it your ATTITUDE toward changing your body. Stop thinking in terms of age and think, "Hell yeah, I can kick ass. I'm not dead yet!"

You go, boy!

MFT
    "My feet are hurting from kicking so much ass." ~Me - and Nike, lol
    "If you're going through hell, keep going." ~Winston Churchill
    "Either you run the day or the day runs you." ~Jim Rohn
    "Be miserable. Or motivate yourself. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice." ~Wayne Dyer
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." ~C. S. Lewis

jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jrod67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm 45 and I'm doing it, and I will continue to do it til the day I meet my maker. I changed the way of life so I can enjoy my life. I just wish I would have done it sooner but now is better than never.

The best thing that has ever happened to me just got topped by my kids tonight (even the wife). All my kids want to join me in my journey and agreed to exercise with me, by my side as I go. So if that isn't one of the best motivational things that can happen to a guy I don't know what is.

kaijuman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow... I did NOT expect this many replies. I'm really encouraged by what everyone has taken the time to write. It is inspiring to listen to other people who are starting a road to fitness at a later age despite age. Thank you all.

Oh, yes I did join back in 2004 (back when the site was a little different) and I PM'd with a couple of different people, but I really wasn't into the message boards. For the longest time I had forgotten that I was even subscribed on this board. Life has been very up & down the past 10 years (which I won't get into) and I never liked discussing personal things on line.

BUT, I am really encouraged by this today. I'm happy to say that my diet has made some major changes recently and stopped eating a lot of crap. I'm also a vegetarian now (for various personal reasons) but I've also reduced a lot of starch, sugars, and even caffein. My weight was just over 255 last year, and I can say now I'm 235. The goal is 220 before the end of the spring. Perhaps 210 by the end of the summer. Just taking it a step at a time.
    I am enjoying the weights and intend to keep it going. (need to get more cardio in for sure) I just wish there was a gym in my area. I can't drive unfortunately, so that's why I'm using my friends weights in his apartment.
    I'm the type of person that gets discouraged very easily, and I guess that's why I broke down and made this post. Sometimes it's just that boot in the arse I need to keep myself reminded that I'm not the only one. As much as we all know it inside, it's just encouraging to hear it.

Thanks again everyone. Cheers!

69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 69cam is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yup, I started last year at 48 and still making gains.

Check out my bodyspace for progress pics.
    The best part of this is, my kids are learning to live healthier because of me.

rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50) rickfocks will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I agree with the concensus... never too late to start...

casaierasco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

48 out of shape

Where would I go to find a workout plan and a good trainer. I'm a 48 yo female. 5'10" 145lbs. I live in wasilla Alaska and can't find anything more than someone to show me how to use the equipment and say do Thos many.