Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Good gyms in Sydney, Australia?

Hello F-Misc ,

I moved to Sydney (Darlinghurst) yesterday and I am looking for a good lifting-friendly gym. Any recommendations? (I'm in Crown Street)

*rant*
    Where good is defined as: multiple squat/power racks that I can use without waiting 4 hours for brah in T-back singlet to get off his phone and finish deadlifting in the squat rack when he could have found empty floor space and used a bar without hogging the rack, jimmies rustled, anyway moving on!. I tried the forum search function but the results were 99.9% Miscers calling each other "phaggots" and 0.1% information that was not useful. I couldn't filter any useful info from that search so I am reaching out to FMisc.
    *end rant*

I tried Fitness First both in The Cross and Darlinghurst (I have been a member in Brisbane for a long time) but I walked in and walked straight out after seeing the set-up and equipment. Brisbane branches seem to be much better than the ones down here.

City Gym is close by but I have heard it gets quite crowded at peak times and I can only train in the early AM. Has anyone been there?

Any other recommendations from chicks who lift in Sydney?

Much appreciated

Cliffs minus ranting:
    - Suggestions for lifting-friendly gym in Sydney close to Darlinghurst??
    - Tryna squat but racks never available = unhappiness
    - Dislikes Fitness First
    - City gym?? any good?

aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aristomeow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    City Gym I've heard is wonderful. But EXXY and busy.

Honestly you're not going to get a Sydney gym with more than 2 squat racks. It's just how it is. There are some serious BB type gyms but they're not really "close" to Darlinghurst.

My ex trained at Anytime in George Street and he said it wasn't too busy but he trained after work so I don't know what it's like in the A.M.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lol i used to train at FF in darlinghurst in the AM. i feel your pain. the cross is a lot better as it's bigger, but seriously i would steer away from FF. there's little transparency. you can't get a clear answer as to how much a simple membership costs without having to sit down with a salesperson for a lengthy chat, and if you're not careful they'll extend it automatically unless you resign in writing at least a month in advance. as well, transferring your local membership apparently costs $70 i never had to pay it, but really, that attitude sucks balls.

i've trained a few times at city gym as a casual and i likes it. BB-oriented but fancy at the same time. lol they sell takeaway bb meals. very expensive, though.

if you want to go a bit further away, you might want to try UTS and sydney uni gyms. both have an OL platform and great old-school equipment. broadway gym is good, too, albeit a bit scungy. they're cheap, and broadway is doing deals atm. i got into UTS for $280 for six months, but that's three years ago.

i'd say try anytime fitness. they're growing quickly atm so there's a possibility they'll open locations in the eastern suburbs. i've been to george st a few times and they have good equipment (i like old squat racks and dumbbells for some reason; makes everything seem more hardcore). no idea what it would be like during peak.

i've never seen a gym with more than two racks though.
    Last edited by Miranda; 01-16-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fwanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to go to the UTS gym, and it's pretty good and just got an upgrade.

At the moment I am at the virgin active in Pitt Street, its a bit more pricey but the place is really nice and so are the people. It's normally quite empty in between peak times (i.e. the hours before, after and during lunch time) as the people that go there are usually city workers.

moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) moogs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thank you for the feedback everyone I have been a member of Anytime Fitness and found them to be quite good so I will look into the one nearby. I haven't heard of Virgin Active, another one I will look into thank you for the suggestion.

Turns out I am a 1 minute walk from City Gym (score!). I walked through today and they have 3 squat racks and 3 smiths amongst their collection. It is much better than I expected. There's a steam room, heaps of weights and cardio equipment, gym classes, punching bags, spin bikes, a zillion different styles of pull-up bars (if only I could do pull-ups!) and nice bathrooms. I was pretty impressed and have a weeks free trail. I will see how crowded it gets in the early morning and if its not too bad I will join there.

I have a month off work so I'll look into the gyms you suggested as most of them do free trails. Price doesn't worry me that much and I'd happily pay extra for somewhere more suitable. An OL platform would be cool though I'd love to do powerlifting one day, too bad PTC is so far from the city.

I can't thank you enough for your responses, they are much appreciated

53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50) 53X will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    http://www.pedept.com.au/

Pricing
    http://www.pedept.com.au/content/membership

15 Orwell Street, Potts Point

It's a tad pricey compared to anytime etc... however the pros I see in it is cleanliness, good atmosphere and not over crowded... and if it is, usually just women on the treadmills. I never see chicks lifting

cya around

JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000) JVDTWG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There is an Anytime Fitness in surry hills - the george street one is too busy.

You will have the same problem in virgin active too.

I work in Foveaux street, so quite often train at Anytime Surry Hills - can confirm decent crowd.

Simba100 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by moogs View Post
    Hello F-Misc ,

I moved to Sydney (Darlinghurst) yesterday and I am looking for a good lifting-friendly gym. Any recommendations? (I'm in Crown Street)

*rant*
    Where good is defined as: multiple squat/power racks that I can use without waiting 4 hours for brah in T-back singlet to get off his phone and finish deadlifting in the squat rack when he could have found empty floor space and used a bar without hogging the rack, jimmies rustled, anyway moving on!. I tried the forum search function but the results were 99.9% Miscers calling each other "phaggots" and 0.1% information that was not useful. I couldn't filter any useful info from that search so I am reaching out to FMisc.
    *end rant*

I tried Fitness First both in The Cross and Darlinghurst (I have been a member in Brisbane for a long time) but I walked in and walked straight out after seeing the set-up and equipment. Brisbane branches seem to be much better than the ones down here.

City Gym is close by but I have heard it gets quite crowded at peak times and I can only train in the early AM. Has anyone been there?

Any other recommendations from chicks who lift in Sydney?

Much appreciated

Cliffs minus ranting:
    - Suggestions for lifting-friendly gym in Sydney close to Darlinghurst??
    - Tryna squat but racks never available = unhappiness
    - Dislikes Fitness First
    - City gym?? any good?
    Originally Posted by aristomeow View Post
    City Gym I've heard is wonderful. But EXXY and busy.

Honestly you're not going to get a Sydney gym with more than 2 squat racks. It's just how it is. There are some serious BB type gyms but they're not really "close" to Darlinghurst.

My ex trained at Anytime in George Street and he said it wasn't too busy but he trained after work so I don't know what it's like in the A.M.
    Hello! Could you guide me to a good bodybuilding gym around bankstown please.
    thanks.