greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face Thoughts on these?

I've just ordered these as I've started SL5X5 and I don't fancy trying to squat heavy without something. Sadly, as we have a baby on the way, I am extremely short on cash so I grabbed these from ebay for £69. Are they ok and has anyone had any experience using these or similar? I'd love to have a power cage but space and money are in equal short supply :/ Also, I only have a basic barbell. Like the ones from argos lol I know I should get an olympic barbell but as I have already said, money is extremely tight. What kind of weight can I expect my barbell to take before it bends in half lol
    Attached Images

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Barbells limit is probably 300#'s stands like those hold a barbell but are easy to knock over and provide no safety catch. Once you kid is a toddler make sure the bar is off those as he might push them down and you don't want a bar falling on him. There is a good reason those are on sale for less than half their original asking price.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'd add a pair of sawhorses for a safety catch. As Wildtim said, make sure you unload the bar and put it away when you are not working out. While they may not be as good as a full safety cage, you will see many Olympic lifters backsquatting with such a setup.
    Last edited by cthulhupun; 01-17-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    Aaron Bennett
    Denver Harlequins Rugby
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #29 -!!!---!!!-

greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) greedyweedy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks guys, good advice. I'd definitely never leave the barbell on the stands with any weight on and my nephew is also following 5x5 with me at the same time so we spot for eachother. I see there are safety bars on these stands (only 5 inches though). Are they of any use whatsoever in an emergency? lol

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by greedyweedy View Post
    Thanks guys, good advice. I'd definitely never leave the barbell on the stands with any weight on and my nephew is also following 5x5 with me at the same time so we spot for eachother. I see there are safety bars on these stands (only 5 inches though). Are they of any use whatsoever in an emergency? lol
    I've been tempted by their brands before, their equipment is 'okay' at best.

The spotters aren't going to be of much use unless they're used as a very controlled fail.

Can you not look on ebay and Gum Tree at used power racks or at least half racks?

Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    I've been tempted by their brands before, their equipment is 'okay' at best.

The spotters aren't going to be of much use unless they're used as a very controlled fail.

Can you not look on ebay and Gum Tree at used power racks or at least half racks?
    First thing I did lol The missis is very stingy with our money at the minute (don't argue with a pregnant woman) lol

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    First thing I did lol The missis is very stingy with our money at the minute (don't argue with a pregnant woman) lol
    I'm not sure where you are in the country but I would start here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bodymax-CF...item2a281176f9
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bodymax-CF...item35c36a64b0
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bodymax-po...item27cee29f61
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POWER-SQUA...item416e8f8418
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PROFESSION...item2324de7b9f
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTREME-PO...item257807901e

They're all starter racks but will be much better than those terrible squat stands, the squat stands are an accident waiting to happen!

I'm not sure where you are in the country but I would start here...

[CAN'T POST LINKS YET]

They're all starter racks but will be much better than those terrible squat stands, the squat stands are an accident waiting to happen!
    Would love any of those :P I mentioned them to the other half and got the look of death and something along the lines of ''NO F*****G CHANCE,!'' haha Oh well. Gonna have to make do with the stands for this year :/

Would love any of those :P I mentioned them to the other half and got the look of death and something along the lines of ''NO F*****G CHANCE,!'' haha Oh well. Gonna have to make do with the stands for this year :/
    Can you compromise on a half rack? They will take up a very similar amount of space as a pair of squat stands?

Like this... http://www.gymratz.co.uk/powertec-workbench-half-rack but will be about half the cost second hand...

Can you compromise on a half rack? They will take up a very similar amount of space as a pair of squat stands?

Like this... but will be about half the cost second hand...
    Already bought the stands this morning and they are getting delivered tomorrow (still getting dead eye from her haha) I honestly think if I'd have asked for more money I wouldn't have needed to be killed by a squat stand accident, she would have done the job herself lol

Already bought the stands this morning and they are getting delivered tomorrow (still getting dead eye from her haha) I honestly think if I'd have asked for more money I wouldn't have needed to be killed by a squat stand accident, she would have done the job herself lol
    This made me laugh.

Let us know what you think of them. Definitely use something to 'save' you if you fail. You could possibly buy a pair of squat stands and use some Unistrut between them to act as spotter bars?

This would be better than the ones on the machine.

Don't worry, I had considered the above stands before I went for my rack...

I thought about it for about a year before I actually went for my rack...

This made me laugh.

Let us know what you think of them. Definitely use something to 'save' you if you fail. You could possibly buy a pair of squat stands and use some Unistrut between them to act as spotter bars?

This would be better than the ones on the machine.

Don't worry, I had considered the above stands before I went for my rack...

I thought about it for about a year before I actually went for my rack...
    Next workout is Friday so I will report back. Well, I will if my head still belongs to my shoulders haha :P

Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zoomit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Putting some larger plates on the base will help the stability of the stands. Just remember to keep the plates away from your feet. You don't want to trip coming back in to rerack. Also, remember that when you're squatting the most weight, that's when you'll want the most stability and hence the most weight on the base. So if you don't have many plates, it might be helpful to get more (or use something else, cinder blocks, stone pavers, etc.) to hold the bases. Of course, using them on hard surfaces, instead of carpet, helps too.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    While they may not be as good as a full safety cage, you will see many Olympic lifters backsquatting with such a setup.
    Olympic lifters practice letting the bar go. They have bumpers. If OP lets his cast iron plates roll of his back his wife will kill him.

The safeties might save your neck on a bench press fail, but only your neck.

These appear very similar.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Zoomit View Post
    Putting some larger plates on the base will help the stability of the stands. Just remember to keep the plates away from your feet. You don't want to trip coming back in to rerack. Also, remember that when you're squatting the most weight, that's when you'll want the most stability and hence the most weight on the base. So if you don't have many plates, it might be helpful to get more (or use something else, cinder blocks, stone pavers, etc.) to hold the bases. Of course, using them on hard surfaces, instead of carpet, helps too.
    Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Olympic lifters practice letting the bar go. They have bumpers. If OP lets his cast iron plates roll of his back his wife will kill him.

The safeties might save your neck on a bench press fail, but only your neck.

These appear very similar.
    Thanks Zoomit I was thinking about sandbags also? and Detrus, that made me laugh. YES she would most likely divorce me if I dropped a full bar on 'her' floor from shoulder height haha

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    you could use a scaffolding pole with car tyres as bumpers outside, each one weighs 15kg and will be free (found mine on the side of the road) it will bounce quite abit though.
    just an idea if you're on a really tight budget.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by owasM View Post
    you could use a scaffolding pole with car tyres as bumpers outside, each one weighs 15kg and will be free (found mine on the side of the road) it will bounce quite abit though.
    just an idea if you're on a really tight budget.
    Nice thinking, I like that!

Tried them out today and they were surprisingly sturdy! The safety 'catcher' bars are well made, easily support me for dips and I feel pretty confident they are strong enough to save my life lol Thanks for all the great advice guys, much appreciated!

Nice thinking, I like that!

Tried them out today and they were surprisingly sturdy! The safety 'catcher' bars are well made, easily support me for dips and I feel pretty confident they are strong enough to save my life lol Thanks for all the great advice guys, much appreciated!
    Glad that you're happy. Post some photos!

Well I did take this one. Ignore the crappy barbell. It's a horrendous argos special haha Just put it on so I didn't get asked what the hell it was when I posted the pic to ********, although one person did liken them to a torture device :P
    Attached Images

Well I did take this one. Ignore the crappy barbell. It's a horrendous argos special haha Just put it on so I didn't get asked what the hell it was when I posted the pic to ********, although one person did liken them to a torture device :P
    They don't look bad atall to be honest for what you paid.

You really need an olympic bar! Oh and a utility bench if you don't have one!

They don't look bad atall to be honest for what you paid.

You really need an olympic bar! Oh and a utility bench if you don't have one!
    Yea quite depressing not having a decent bar to be honest lol

Yea quite depressing not having a decent bar to be honest lol
    It must be quite tricky squatting with such a short bar? It looks like it's hollow also?

You can get a cheap olympic weight set here http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/..._/12268_p.html

Failing that go on ebay and have a look, check out Gumtree also!

It must be quite tricky squatting with such a short bar? It looks like it's hollow also?

You can get a cheap olympic weight set here

Failing that go on ebay and have a look, check out Gumtree also!
    Feels ok squatting with it if I'm honest but it annoys me knowing it won't take a LOT of weight to bend the bloody thing :/ May have to wait till christmas for a bar but even then I will need decent 2 inch plates as the ones I've got are 1inch

Feels ok squatting with it if I'm honest but it annoys me knowing it won't take a LOT of weight to bend the bloody thing :/ May have to wait till christmas for a bar but even then I will need decent 2 inch plates as the ones I've got are 1inch
    If that bar weighs about 2kg or so, how much are you squatting?

It looks like there is 10kg or so on there total?

If that bar weighs about 2kg or so, how much are you squatting?

It looks like there is 10kg or so on there total?
    Just started the sl 5x5 this week so not very much. In total on the picture there is 30kg. 10kg each red and 5kg each black. I could squat that ok but I want to follow the program to the letter and start low

Just started the sl 5x5 this week so not very much. In total on the picture there is 30kg. 10kg each red and 5kg each black. I could squat that ok but I want to follow the program to the letter and start low
    Good for you mate, that bar will be out grown in a matter of weeks.

If you stick with it, I almost guarantee that you will be squatting over 100kg by the end of the year, if not much much sooner!

My squat went from that to 100kg in about 3 months!

Good for you mate, that bar will be out grown in a matter of weeks.

If you stick with it, I almost guarantee that you will be squatting over 100kg by the end of the year, if not much much sooner!

My squat went from that to 100kg in about 3 months!
    Nice! There's the next annoying thing, not having enough room on the bar for the silly bulky weights (compared to proper disks). Glad I didn't start 5x5 when I used to go to the gym though lol Squatting with an empty bar is embarrasing. Not so much at home as I have to have at least 20 kg on to replicate an olympic bar weight :P