sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sjambo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pullups to failure?

I want to be able to do more pullups. They are already in my routine.
    I can do 5 in the first set afterwards it goes down slowly. I am adding reps every week.
    Should I keep doing as many as I can or should I stop before failure?

gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by sjambo View Post
    I can do 5 in the first set afterwards it goes down slowly. I am adding reps every week.
    if your primary goal is pullup strength over mass gain, then i reccomend lowering the reps to maybe 3 ( still bw ) and smashing out more sets than usual, despite what some people think, volume > intensity for me, might help you aswell, also you can do pullups everyday if it really is #1 priority, but i wouldnt reccommend it. but usually is you want to get better at something, do it more. works for everything
    go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law. now repeat after me, i am free

- bulldog

jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jake1224 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Never train pullups (or any bodyweight lift) to failure if you're doing more than one set.
    be a lot cooler if you did

gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500) gahptramsenoru is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by sjambo View Post
    if your primary goal is pullup strength over mass gain, then i reccomend lowering the reps to maybe 3 ( still bw ) and smashing out more sets than usual, despite what some people think, volume > intensity for me, might help you aswell, also you can do pullups everyday if it really is #1 priority, but i wouldnt reccommend it. but usually is you want to get better at something, do it more. works for everything
    go to work, get married, have some kids, pay your taxes, pay your bills, watch your tv, follow fashion, act normal, obey the law. now repeat after me, i am free

- bulldog

JBurns94 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doing any exercise to failure is a useful tool if not abused. Doing every set you're going to completely zap your muscles and your central nervous system will be like what the **** are you doing man?
    Throw in some sets to failure every few workouts I would say and you will see gains.

Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Oggie22 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Would like to know this too. Just started doing pullups today, I did 1 set to failure then just did the negative portion really slowly for 2 sets of 12 afterwards. No idea how I should actually go about it though in order to be able to do more reps.
    Oggie22's Lifting Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163231711

Starting stats: 137lbs @ 5'11

Injury count: Over 9000