zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help choosing power rack /squat stand

Hello,

I'm in the market for my first power rack /squat stand and i became undecided in which one to choose.

My two options are:

- Powerline PPR200x
    - Rogue Fitness S-2 Squat stand with spotter bar

Powerline is cheaper, but it may be less durable, and 600 lbs max weight is kinda low, and although it may be a low estimate when weights start getting close to 600 lbs some fear may start growing on my mind. Also those spotter bars seem to thin to resist a heavy weight slamming on them.

On the other hand the only disadvantage i see on rogue fitness s-2 is being more expensive, and not being a full cage, giving a less sense of security.

Can someone tell me which one would be the best buy in the long term?

Thanks in advance.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would get the Rogue S-2 but most people here will favor a full cage. I don't know how much better this particular cage will be though, it's light with small footprint and if left unbolted if you trip and fall backwards you may flip it. If you want that type of security you can attach ropes between S-2 safety arms and upright.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=151081213

The above thread discusses what you're asking pretty much.

cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cmarti063 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    iportal pointed you to the thread I started just a few days ago, which, summed up, says "Buy the Rogue S2 w/ Spotter arms." Also, if you decide you want an inexpensive cage, get the Powertec (can order from GNC - add Gold Card to cart for 20% off, they also have free shipping right now) instead of the Powerline.

-Cody
    Last edited by cmarti063; 01-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.

zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zosoninja has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cmarti063 View Post
    iportal pointed you to the thread I started just a few days ago, which, summed up, says "Buy the Rogue S2 w/ Spotter arms." Also, if you decide you want an inexpensive cage, get the Powertec (can order from GNC - add Gold Card to cart for 20% off, they also have free shipping right now) instead of the Powerline.

-Cody
    Well, since im not from the United States getting a Powertec doesnt become cheap at all, cheapest i saw would be almost 600 euros (800 dollars) with shipping.
    Also another concern i got is that if i somehow lose balance doing a squat inside a cage and trip backwards for example, not only will i smash my back, but also with a heavy weight such an impact would probably make the power rack tip over (in my imagination of the accident) so i dont know if that is truly safer than a squat stand.

Anyway, i've come to a decision and bought a rogue S-2 with the flat utility bench. I like the size of those spotter arms (60 cm) which can take at least 700lbs (saw somewhere) and with a pull-up bar and possible addition of dip bar, looks like a solid choice. Materials are high quality too, and the stand is highly praised by a lot of people. Also doing bench presses and military presses is as safe as with the power rack.

Thanks all for helping.

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The powerline would be way safer. When you break it and start lifting more than 600 lbs you'll have gotten every penny out of it back

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by zosoninja View Post
    Well, since im not from the United States getting a Powertec doesnt become cheap at all, cheapest i saw would be almost 600 euros (800 dollars) with shipping.
    Also another concern i got is that if i somehow lose balance doing a squat inside a cage and trip backwards for example, not only will i smash my back, but also with a heavy weight such an impact would probably make the power rack tip over (in my imagination of the accident) so i dont know if that is truly safer than a squat stand.

Anyway, i've come to a decision and bought a rogue S-2 with the flat utility bench. I like the size of those spotter arms (60 cm) which can take at least 700lbs (saw somewhere) and with a pull-up bar and possible addition of dip bar, looks like a solid choice. Materials are high quality too, and the stand is highly praised by a lot of people. Also doing bench presses and military presses is as safe as with the power rack.

Thanks all for helping.
    You're more likely to fall forwards if you fall...but the bars will keep the bar from landing on you. If you were to fall backwards for some weird reason...you won't fall as far because the pins will stop you and you'll only have your own weight..

If you fell backwards, and the powerline tipped over..it still wouldn't land on you. Although that is a crazy scenario. If you were really that worried about that scenario you should just buy a heavier, more expensive rack or else bolt the powerline down to a plywood platform.

trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Rogue's R series power racks used 5/8" pin and pipe safeties and they can drop 400+ lbs. on them(there's a video on youtube somewhere). The safeties on the PPR200x are 1" rods. While I'm not sure of the strength of 1" solid rods vs. 5/8" pins and pipes, I think your bar will probably bends way before the rods would if you are going to drop a loaded bar on them.

I have the PPR200x rack as well as the S-1 squat stands.

PPR200x:
    Pros: cheaper, a bit safer for squat, easier to hold extra plates (just cut some pipes) and bars (utility hooks from a hardware store).
    Cons: a bit too short for overhead press (even a 5'5" midget like me has to either widen my grip or my stance), no 1" hole spacing, thinner steel (so smaller weight capacity), not a lot of accessories, a bit of a hassle if you need to switch bars a lot, especially specialty bars (this is just a limitation of power rack in general)

Rogue squat stands + spotter arms:
    Pros: tons of accessories, more open, easier for overhead press and switching bars, thicker steel (higher weight limit)
    Cons: more expensive, weight storage are limited and expensive, offer zero protection if you were to fall backward during squat (unlikely, but $hit does happen).

So, I use the S-1 for outdoor work with bumpers, and the PPR200x indoor. I'm a bit partial to the PPR200x because I store 540lbs of metal plates along with 3 bars (1 safety squat, 1 straight and 1 curl) on it.

GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000) GarageIron is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by trnk1001 View Post
    ...offer zero protection if you were to fall backward during squat (unlikely, but $hit does happen)
    I can't see this being a devastating event. You land on the bar. Maybe on an press it could be bad. That said, you could also drop the bar on your head in the rack.

Solution? Overhead press helmets. Powder coated black and likely called the Rogue H1. Options include Head band pegs and adjustable chin strap with Westside spacing. $59US (or $492CDN using Rogue's new Canadian shipping prices)
    ()---() York Barbell Club #30 ()---()

f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50) f0rbidden will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by GarageIron View Post
    Solution? Overhead press helmets. Powder coated black and likely called the Rogue H1. Options include Head band pegs and adjustable chin strap with Westside spacing. $59US (or $492CDN using Rogue's new Canadian shipping prices)
    $149 for the 3x3 version, HM1. There's a neck harness attachment as well.

Don't forget the 5 pack, $329, but it ships free.
    BW: 247
    Squat: 550
    Deadlift: 601
    Bench: 381 w/pause
    Press: 275
    Front Squat: 405

trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) trnk1001 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Right on the prices, options, even shipping. You both work for Rogue, I knew it

I've never fallen backward/forward while squatting (only unable to stand up with the weights), so that's a no to your overpriced helmet, Westside hole spacing or not.

As for the OP's question, while they both work, I don't think either one would be considered "best buy" for long term. Best buy for long term would be a good power rack. PPR200x = starter power rack, and S-2 = good squat stands.

Originally Posted by trnk1001 View Post
    Right on the prices, options, even shipping. You both work for Rogue, I knew it

I've never fallen backward/forward while squatting (only unable to stand up with the weights), so that's a no to your overpriced helmet, Westside hole spacing or not.

As for the OP's question, while they both work, I don't think either one would be considered "best buy" for long term. Best buy for long term would be a good power rack. PPR200x = starter power rack, and S-2 = good squat stands.

Buying a good power rack would be out of question, because of high prices and my space is kinda limited. Also, If getting a medium quality rack like powertec would cost me 800 dollars, i dont even want to think about the price of getting a better quality rack.

Altough PPR200x is a good rack and cheap, i wasnt planning on changing racks any time soon.
    I got the rogue S-2 because it has many acessories (and new ones will probably be compatible) , better materials, it's easier to do various exercises, for example i don't need to dribble through the power rack to do some overhead presses, deadlifts or any exercise that u must do outside the rack, also S-2 seems more stable than powerline, hole spacing is better, and for bench presses (which was the main reason for buying the S-2 with spotters), military presses etc it's as safe as powerline rack.

I think that the safety arms of the powerline probably won't resist to a drop of near 600lbs. S-2 safety arms are better quality and i saw that they were tested for 700lbs.

I really tought that you would fall backwards in a failed squat, since the weight is on your back, and knees are bent, altough it never happened to me, so i don't really know.
    If you fall forward i guess the squat stand will probably be almost as safe as a rack, since those spotter arms are huge and kinda hard to miss.

Anyway after i get the S-2 i may do a little review :P. I just think i feel more confident lifting if i know that rack materials are good quality and won't fail on me :P.

It was a tough decision, i know that probably i wont lift anywhere near the powerline 600lbs limit, but i think that when i got around 400 or something i would start having doubts on the rack quality.

Well, having a squat rack or powerline is better than my current situation which is having nothing at all lol. I was doing everything raw, without a care in the world lol, but after seeing videos of a guy dropping weights on the chest and dying -.-, i came to the decision of getting some protection if things happen to go wrong some day (**** happens).

LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50) LimitStrength will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Racks are better than squat stands from a safety stand point. If you want to bulk up the spotter arms of a cheap rack just buy 2 appropriately lengthed piece of quarter or half inch lead pipe. Cheap, robust, and turns cheap spotter arms into rod and pin model.

The fram itself will handle a lot, even if its somewhat thinner steel than a higher quality one. I've squatted 600 in similar quality racks and there wasn't any sway or bend that I can remember.

Essentially the spotter arms are the weakest point followed by the bolted joints. But as long as you keep them tight I can't really see a scenario where the frame itself actually bent from a normal situation like dropping weights etc.

The rack is safer and will protect you during more exercises. I train alone most of the year and I know I'd rather have a rack between the bar and my face than squat spotter arms.