Eifrig is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bulking and fat gains

Hello, newbie bulker here.

I was wondering when you bulk, roughly how much of the weight you gain do you believe should come from fat?
    I'm scared if I'd gain more fat than muscle. Or is it that you guys don't bother too much and just focus on it at cutting periods?
    I'm currently 5'4 100lbs, 15.9% BF(18% on DEXA). I want to be more muscular with the same size. I plan to start with a surplus of 150 on workout days with maintenance on remaining days. I'll adjust it until I gain 1lb/month, but then again, I know some of it will come from fat. Question is, how much is safe to call it a successful bulk?

P.S, I'm also new to to weightlifting(just started last week.) But I guess right now I'm too light to expect recomp...?

DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DoItForCuddles is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You probably won't gain anything this way. Calorie counting is very innacurate and should be used as a tool rather than a definate metric (in my opinion). Our expenditure will vary by more than 500 calories a day, food lables are 'allowed' to be 15% off and arent even checked, and even the system me use to measure calories in food is flawed. Just look at the variation in MFP for even chicken breast.

My advice is a 300-500 calorie surplus, maybe less on rest days. If you take frequent progress pictures you won't wake up one day and find yourself obese.

Then again, I'm no expert at all. This is only my opinion, it's your body

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You don't have anything to recomp. 18% body fat is pretty low as it is.

Gaining exactly 1lb/month will be difficult. Your best bet would be to weigh yourself every day, take a rolling average, and adjust cals as needed. It will probably take at least a month to sort out how much to eat.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chamelious is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Eifrig View Post
    Hello, newbie bulker here.

I was wondering when you bulk, roughly how much of the weight you gain do you believe should come from fat?
    I'm scared if I'd gain more fat than muscle. Or is it that you guys don't bother too much and just focus on it at cutting periods?
    I'm currently 5'4 100lbs, 15.9% BF(18% on DEXA). I want to be more muscular with the same size. I plan to start with a surplus of 150 on workout days with maintenance on remaining days. I'll adjust it until I gain 1lb/month, but then again, I know some of it will come from fat. Question is, how much is safe to call it a successful bulk?

P.S, I'm also new to to weightlifting(just started last week.) But I guess right now I'm too light to expect recomp...?
    Theres no guideline or accurate way to measure this really.

The way to measure a successful bulk IMO is consistent strength progress combined with a relatively slow rate of scale weight gained, 1-2lbs a month is about right.

Really try not to be scared of gaining fat. Building muscle is a slow, hard process. Losing fat is relatively easy by comparison.
    My band: www.thesunexplodes.com

Eifrig is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you all! I guess I was scared of the whole concept. So I should track my progress and adjust my daily intake from there.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Eifrig View Post
    Thank you all! I guess I was scared of the whole concept. So I should track my progress and adjust my daily intake from there.
    Yep. Track your weight, track your macros, track your lifts.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01