Thread: sprained thumb?

LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10)

sprained thumb?

Ive done snatches with a normal double overhand grip (I think its called that). Ive started to notice pain when i move my thumbs in certain positions especially when gripping the bar. Is this a sprain and how long should I let it rest? Im also going to switch to a hook grip now.

Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sendug is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If your thumb hurts now it will hurt more when you start hook gripping if you are not used to it. You will adjust but just a FYI.
    http://www.half-the-man.com - My new blog dedicated to my experiences with weight loss. Helpful hints, tips and articles that may facilitate your fat loss.

30 Stone(420 pounds) -> 14.5 stone(203 pounds) in 3 years. Come at me bro!

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆
    ₪ ₪ ₪TRUE MI$CER₪ ₪ ₪
    [A]lpha [B]eard [C]rew

LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10) LOLpotatoes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think the bar just pulled my thumb in an awkward position so I notice the pain after the workout. Hook grip is obviously hurts while lifting but this sprain I think I have hurts enough to stop me from doing bench press and other lifts where you have to grip a bar.

olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000) olyw8lifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LOLpotatoes View Post
    Ive done snatches with a normal double overhand grip (I think its called that). Ive started to notice pain when i move my thumbs in certain positions especially when gripping the bar. Is this a sprain and how long should I let it rest? Im also going to switch to a hook grip now.
    Okay, first of all, we have no idea if it's a sprain, that's for a doctor to determine, not someone who can't even look at it, especially on the internet!!!

The only to know what you might have done is to know EXACTLY what you did that caused the pain. NOW??? No way to know. Rest it up and start using hook grip, but keep in mind that it may take some time for it to heal up.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168969133

I have let the hands rest a few days now and the pain is actually caused by my index fingers metacarpal. I think it is caused by the bar pressing on them when I have the bar up on snatch. I think I might be gripping the bar with the wrong part of my hand in the end. Anyone have experience on this?

huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000) huntito is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have let the hands rest a few days now and the pain is actually caused by my index fingers metacarpal. I think it is caused by the bar pressing on them when I have the bar up on snatch. I think I might be gripping the bar with the wrong part of my hand in the end. Anyone have experience on this?
    how wide is your grip? bring it in and see if that helps
    The Long Road to Competition... My olympic weightlifting journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145925733

LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LudiWithKnives is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    most of my wrist/thumb issues are from the overhead position of the snatch because it puts your wrists and thumbs at a very extreme/awkward angle. you need to make sure youre stretching your wrists and thumbs daily. the pain instantly goes away when i do a lift in straps lol
    .........(july 23, 2010)
    Bench 200
    Squat 335
    Deadlift 375

Snatch/CnJ 84kg/108.5kg (sept 23, 2011)

ATG 134kg
    FS 120kg

get jacked, squat rack
    do rows; working on your back

doievenlift.tumblr.com

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ELE2 CREW FOUNDER

Its definitely caused by the overhead position. I cant even hold only the bar up without pain but I can do heavy CJ just fine. Gonna start strecthing and try again next week. I also tried bringing in the grip but the bar startd hitting my pubis bone and anything wider than that is too painful.

OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50) OlyTrick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its definitely caused by the overhead position. I cant even hold only the bar up without pain but I can do heavy CJ just fine. Gonna start strecthing and try again next week. I also tried bringing in the grip but the bar startd hitting my pubis bone and anything wider than that is too painful.
    How are your hands positioned in the overhead position? Are your wrists laid back? or are they in a position where your knuckles are facing up and you're "punching the ceiling"?

Originally Posted by OlyTrick View Post
    How are your hands positioned in the overhead position? Are your wrists laid back? or are they in a position where your knuckles are facing up and you're "punching the ceiling"?
    They are laid back. I had a 6 month break from lifting so its very likely my wrists are too stiff atm.