rekenn256 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Air Force Permissive TDY for Competitions

Hi, all! This is my first post to the forums. I have a question for all the military bodybuilding/fitness competitors. Have any of you gotten approval for a permissive tdy to compete? I am currlently researching and not finding anything concrete as of yet and decided to post here and find out if anyone here has done so. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I workout not because I hate my body, but because I love it & it's the only one I have!

audioartemis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rekenn256 View Post
    Hi, all! This is my first post to the forums. I have a question for all the military bodybuilding/fitness competitors. Have any of you gotten approval for a permissive tdy to compete? I am currlently researching and not finding anything concrete as of yet and decided to post here and find out if anyone here has done so. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I tried to go the same route for my first show and didn't have much luck with it. I talked to some people at my base's gym and was told, permissive TDY would only work for team sports or the Air Force marathon. Bodybuilding isn't considered a competitive sport by the Air Force in the same way as the rest of the stuff we sponsor, because it's on an individual basis. I hope that makes sense...but if you can find any good info on it that I missed, please let me know! I'd be willing to try that out!

rekenn256 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by audioartemis View Post
    I tried to go the same route for my first show and didn't have much luck with it. I talked to some people at my base's gym and was told, permissive TDY would only work for team sports or the Air Force marathon. Bodybuilding isn't considered a competitive sport by the Air Force in the same way as the rest of the stuff we sponsor, because it's on an individual basis. I hope that makes sense...but if you can find any good info on it that I missed, please let me know! I'd be willing to try that out!
    Hey...thanks for the info. Yeah we pushed the MFR request up to Services headquarters and it was DENIED, oh well it was worth a shot.
    I workout not because I hate my body, but because I love it & it's the only one I have!

armartin527 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You would have to look in your service's written guidance. I'm Navy and the MILPERSMAN states that "The intent of permissive temporary duty (PTDY)
    is to authorize servicemembers time away from their assigned duties to assist with transition activities such as job and house hunting. This article replaces NAVADMIN 109/92, NAVADMIN 123/93, and NAVADMIN 078/95. This article defines eligibility to use PTDY, the length of PTDY, and travel and limitations for members and their dependents performing PTDY.

So unless it's used in conjunction with house hunting leave, it doesn't meet the intent of PTDY. You should use regular leave. And if the competition is in the local area, you might just want to take leave on Friday because Saturday and Sunday would be regular liberty.