Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    We can all play the fancy word game.

It is in my opinion a not unjustified assertion that individuals in possession of physiques of some significant development combined with depressed subcutaneous fat and glycogen levels in a state of systemic dehydration will in general exaggerate the aesthetic value of such a state, exaggerating it because in their dysmorphic mind they are never large or lean enough, and to avoid difficult self-contemplation of these issues will project these feelings of insecurity outwards and in compensation assert that all share their neuroses, and thus nobody will hire chubby trainers.

I could say all that. But once I've actually explained how things really are, rather than letting my long words fall in an obscuring mat like tea leaves clogging the drain, it's much easier to say you are wrong and stupid.
    very pretty words, and once again a presumptious and anecdotal post hahaha.

you act as if the characteristics you speak of: "systematic dehydration, and depressed glycogen levels etc" are a pre-requisite and single determining factor of every impressive physical presence lol as if you're certain an individual is always perfoming detriment to their physical health if they appear to have "significant physical development" as you say.

when in reality you're listing off tactics of very specific instances of pre-contest preparation and training, rather simply managing your carbohydrates, fats, and cardiovascular activity properly, like every human being should and could do.

but see how I actually commented on the content of your post? rather than be distracted by "pretty words"?
    Last edited by AngryBaby; 02-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This thread officially reminds me of Family Guy. It's shallow and pedantic, served 2 ways.

http://www.myspace.com/video/mike-ro...antic/26813275

(I wasn't attacking your posts - but as an English teacher, I'd scrible all over them with a big red marker and ask you to re-read the actual definitions of 'dem big fancy words you are using, and then consider whether or not the definition actually fits in with the situation. As you have seen, other posters can't take it seriously, so your erronious attempt(s) to sound intelligent end up with nobody really listening).

I'll just take that meatloaf instead.

Kyle, perhaps you should re-phrase your arguement as a sonnet for maximum efficiency.
    Last edited by sonti; 02-14-2013 at 02:34 PM.

AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000) AngryBaby is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    It always makes me laugh when trainers try to use fancy words during assessments (or internet posts) thinking that they are impressing anyone. Yet another thing that clients really don't give a crap about in the real world.

This is completely not true and shows that you probably haven't trained a lot of high level performance people. If you had you would know that they rely almost exclusively on doing what they are told without question and leave the thinking up to the highly paid person who has the job of keeping them in shape or making sure they don't hurt themselves.
    hence why i said most, not all. comment still stands.

most people who have independently attained or significantly improved their physical health or well-being, or even transformed themselves entirely, have educated themselves thoroughly to do so....
    Last edited by AngryBaby; 02-14-2013 at 02:46 PM.

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RyouBakua View Post
    i admit i have a little to lose

but ive always told people that they need to find a balance between food and exercise

and for most people thats eating a little "free-er" than the dedicated fitness competitor
    Originally Posted by RyouBakua View Post
    "most people" dont care what the PT looks like

tons of overweight/underweight trainers in my area. they still find work

all summed up

no need for e-posturing/bantering

nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nic9212 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    this thread reminds me of my middle school PE teacher. He was fat and sat in a chair and told us what to do(sit-ups, push ups, etc.) Was very ironic...
    -There is nothing like a Great Workout-

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    This thread officially reminds me of Family Guy. It's shallow and pedantic, served 2 ways.

http://www.myspace.com/video/mike-ro...antic/26813275

(I wasn't attacking your posts - but as an English teacher, I'd scrible all over them with a big red marker and ask you to re-read the actual definitions of 'dem big fancy words you are using, and then consider whether or not the definition actually fits in with the situation. As you have seen, other posters can't take it seriously, so your erronious attempt(s) to sound intelligent end up with nobody really listening).

I'll just take that meatloaf instead.
    the only one making a big deal about a few words is you....

I've responded numerous times in a manner that merited a proper retort, and i've yet to able to get one.

lol you only made one attempt at combating a point of mine, in the use of "hubris". and asked how can someone overweight be arrogant, and I showed you that wasn't at all the point that was being made, and responded to that post thoroughly.
    and you've yet to be able to respond.

an attempt to appear intelligent is redirecting an argument you're not winning to something more simplistic for you to combat, despite it not being relevant lol all in order to appear as though you've been making a valid stance in the conversation.

but i'll tell you what, I want you to actually go through all of these posts i've made and pull out every "big ol' word" and ask me why I used them

I'll be so glad to answer

brb this post has too many big words lol please
    Last edited by AngryBaby; 02-14-2013 at 02:58 PM.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I suppose that I should add that I've made more detailed arguments in this thread and elsewhere. But you've not bothered reading them, you just read the last post or two and respond to that. There's no need for me to endlessly restate things when the words are there for anyone to see. If you won't bother reading a thread before responding to it, then you are too lazy to participate in the discussion. Which is why you are wrong and stupid.
    I don't know where you get this air of superiority to act like a condescending *******, and in truth, it amazes me that an ******* like you can even maintain a client.

I read your other asshat response, and followed the thread from the beginning, and every single one of them you are smug dick. Why the f*ck would anyone listen to you?

If you think your own capability and your own appearance have absolutely no bearing in the superficial world we live in, you are looking at the world through rose colored glasses or your just naive as f*ck.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I gave my thoughts on this topic already quite some time ago - and I respectfully disagreed with the OP, although I do see his point. My original comment on your "big words" was just meant to be a constructive criticism (when people overuse "big words" and especially when they misuse them, their argument comes across as unintelligent, no matter what they actually mean to say). That is all Offering criticism on a style of writing doesn't necessarily equate to ad hominem.

As you have seen, other posters can't take it seriously, so your erronious attempt(s) to sound intelligent end up with nobody really listening.
    take what seriously? what about this post is so pretentiious that it can't be taken seriously?:

I keep hearing the "client doesn't care" lol yes, the client likely isn't going to turn you away for not looking spectacular, however many observe; and fortunately for that said overweight trainer, that individual will simply deal with it on the premise of "well maybe he knows what he's doing". and if that's good enough for you, if you're "cool" with that, then that's an indication of complacency; the very antithesis of the characteristic you should have if you plan on guiding others.
    seems pretty ****ing clear to me lol seems like a point was trying to be made, that noone has YET to combat yet. and instead try to hold on to this idea that i'm speaking a different language in order to keep themselves in the debate lol

Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    It always makes me laugh when trainers try to use fancy words during assessments (or internet posts) thinking that they are impressing anyone. Yet another thing that clients really don't give a crap about in the real world.
    Woofie said it quite succintly, even relating it to the original topic

I gave my thoughts on this topic already quite some time ago - and I respectfully disagreed with the OP, although I do see his point. My original comment on your "big words" was just meant to be a constructive criticism (when people overuse "big words" and especially when they misuse them, their argument comes across as unintelligent, no matter what they actually mean to say). That is all Offering criticism on a style of writing doesn't necessarily equate to ad hominem.
    and which ones did I misuse? you thought i missused "hubris" when I did not lol. so...? back yourself up.

and just read your post above this one, you are trying very hard to avoid my points, and responses back to you hahaha
    Last edited by AngryBaby; 02-14-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Kyle, perhaps you should re-phrase your arguement as a sonnet for maximum efficiency.
    you realize he was wrong right? or are you just siding with whoever may agree with you?

man, this subsection is looking weak, i can get stronger responses from miscers. pfft. lol

Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Footballa_19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sf69 View Post
    The appearance of a PT can definitely help in picking up certain clients. However, this alone will not guarantee success since its client retention that matters. Keeping your clients will depend on factor such as knowledge, experience, professionalism, personality etc etc., not your six pack or guns
    This comment sticks out to me. You don't need BOTH looks and knowledge per se, but having both is a nice advantage to have. This thread has gone to sh** since my first comment, but had to put in my two cents to try and get this back to real discussion. I know for a fact that people see me representing me in the gym and looking the part, which gets me consults, but my knowledge and results is what has helped be successful by KEEPING clients.
    "There is no one right way, everyone is different"

-B.S. Pre-Med/Biology from CMU and ex-CMU Wide Receiver
    -NASM CPT, PES, CES
    -Current trainer of elite athletes
    -Future Elite BowHunter and certified Lungcutter

Official 1st Phorm Ambassador

https://coachmatt.1stphorm.com/

Originally Posted by AngryBaby View Post
    and which ones did I misuse? you thought i missused "hubris" when I did not lol. so...? back yourself up.

and just read your post above this one, you are trying very hard to avoid my points, and responses back to you hahaha
    This is WAY off topic, but hubris is a concept that goes far beyond arrogance. I'm not sure what sort of wikipedia summary you were looking at, but it means an extreme arrogance and pride that often leads to fatal results, for example, someone like Hitler who becomes so egotistical about their abilities and knowledge that he orders his troops into the Russian forests before winter, despite the protests of his experienced and logical generals.

It doesn't apply to some fat trainer who is 30-40lbs overweight because he eats too much and then, in your opinion, has the audacity to think he can teach health and fitness to others (other posts here would argue that his extra wieght does not necessarily mean he is unfit or incapable of teaching health and fitness).

That's your literature lesson for today. I'm not analyzing more of your posts unless you'd like to pay me by the hour via paypal. This is too off topic anyways, so I'll summarize it as: fat trainers and hubris don't belong in the same sentence. Anyways, I'm done for the night, good luck

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by arian11 View Post
    What even was it? What coaches did you meet?
    Starting Strength Seminar.

Mark Rippetoe, Stef Bradford, Mike Wolf, Tom Campitelli, Paul Horn and the intern Dana Zilber.

All smarter than me, and smarter than around 99% of those posting in this forum.
    Last edited by KyleAaron; 02-14-2013 at 04:59 PM.

This is WAY off topic, but hubris is a concept that goes far beyond arrogance. I'm not sure what sort of wikipedia summary you were looking at, but it means an extreme arrogance and pride that often leads to fatal results, for example, someone like Hitler who becomes so egotistical about their abilities and knowledge that he orders his troops into the Russian forests before winter, despite the protests of his experienced and logical generals.

It doesn't apply to some fat trainer who is 30-40lbs overweight because he eats too much and then, in your opinion, has the audacity to think he can teach health and fitness to others (other posts here would argue that his extra wieght does not necessarily mean he is unfit or incapable of teaching health and fitness).

That's your literature lesson for today. I'm not analyzing more of your posts unless you'd like to pay me by the hour via paypal. This is too off topic anyways, so I'll summarize it as: fat trainers and hubris don't belong in the same sentence. Anyways, I'm done for the night, good luck

that definition is the greek tragedy origin yes lol however, the context is not ONLY applicable to that definition. being that the base defintion of the word from numerous sources is simply:

"-excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance."

so you disounted the overall basis and the entirety of all my points because I didn't use the ALTERNATE definition of hubris? how petty. and you can't seem to recall the others.hmmm.

haha and off topic? we wouldn't be discussing this if it wasn't for you...

good night sonti

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    I don't know where you get this air of superiority to act like a condescending *******, and in truth, it amazes me that an ******* like you can even maintain a client.

I read your other asshat response, and followed the thread from the beginning, and every single one of them you are smug dick. Why the f*ck would anyone listen to you?

If you think your own capability and your own appearance have absolutely no bearing in the superficial world we live in, you are looking at the world through rose colored glasses or your just naive as f*ck.
    He lives and trains in Australia. I guess it is a totally different world in "the land down under". While I agree he comes off abrasive, I think he is a really nice guy off of the forums.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    All smarter than me, and smarter than around 99% of those posting in this forum.
    Right.... because everyone here is an idiot.

Are you able to say anything that doesn't come off as pompous?

Originally Posted by Endevorforever View Post
    He lives and trains in Australia. I guess it is a totally different world in "the land down under". While I agree he comes off abrasive, I think he is a really nice guy off of the forums.
    Oh right.... so that gives him license to act the ass online.

coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    holy sh*t... I can't believe this discussion is still going on.

Here is the bottom line. Some people who hire a trainer will want them to emulate some sort of fitness depending on their specific goal (fat loss, strength, ect). But does being fit make you a good trainer? F*CK NO!

This whole topic is based off of people's opinions and perspectives. For me personally I would hire a trainer based of their knowldege, experience, personality, credentials, ect..... and their "six pack" would be last on that list.

lets please end this stupid thread....
    PL: 400/280/475

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Right.... because everyone here is an idiot.
    There is a difference between, "X is smarter than Y," and "Y is an idiot." X and Y could both be Mensa members with doctorates, one might still be smarter than the other. It's these sorts of subtle distinctions that make English an interesting language; latin words we're not sure how to use properly, not so much.

The coaches I met were smarter than me and 99% of the people posting on this forum. This does not mean that I or everyone posting on this forum is an idiot. It does mean that when idiots like AngryBaby do post, that my tolerance for them is decreased.

I may or may not sound like a pompous ass. This does not affect whether what I say is truthful or not. The biggest arsehole in the world could run around shouting that the sun will rise tomorrow, that he is an arsehole not make it dark out. The loveliest person could say that Creationism is a valid field of science, his loveliness does not make it anything but bollocks.

Discussions are more interesting when we focus on the truth or falsity of what people are saying. If you want to focus on whether someone makes you feel warm and fuzzy and engage in complex interpersonal dramas, that's what we have ******** for.

If you're not interested in drama as much as you claim you are, you wouldn't hurl outright insults. As much as you claim Angrybaby is an idiot, he has made several valid points that you attacked with more insults. That isn't discussion, so I think your vision may be a little clouded sitting on your soapbox.

As far as making claims about the intelligence of the people here that you know nothing about, it really does come across as an insult. Something you seem to have mastered.

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Starting Strength Seminar.

Mark Rippetoe, Stef Bradford, Mike Wolf, Tom Campitelli, Paul Horn and the intern Dana Zilber.

They are not smarter. Some of them may have more knowledge and/or experience, but not smarter.

There is a difference between, "X is smarter than Y," and "Y is an idiot." X and Y could both be Mensa members with doctorates, one might still be smarter than the other. It's these sorts of subtle distinctions that make English an interesting language; latin words we're not sure how to use properly, not so much.

The coaches I met were smarter than me and 99% of the people posting on this forum. This does not mean that I or everyone posting on this forum is an idiot. It does mean that when idiots like AngryBaby do post, that my tolerance for them is decreased.
    lol nice. I gave you a valid response to one of your above posts. respectfully. and instead of proving this apparent "idiocy" I have by showing me "what's what", you cower away and wait 12 posts later to indirectly insult me WITHOUT countering any of the the things i had said.

I'll tell you kyle, the only one displaying any sort of inability to properly argue their points here is you....

and having to resort to unmerited insults to emphasize a point you are trying to make is the very opposite of leading an "intelligent" example. and disheartening once you notice that you're over 40. stay classy.

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I may or may not sound like a pompous ass. This does not affect whether what I say is truthful or not. The biggest arsehole in the world could run around shouting that the sun will rise tomorrow, that he is an arsehole not make it dark out. The loveliest person could say that Creationism is a valid field of science, his loveliness does not make it anything but bollocks.

Discussions are more interesting when we focus on the truth or falsity of what people are saying. If you want to focus on whether someone makes you feel warm and fuzzy and engage in complex interpersonal dramas, that's what we have ******** for.
    Come on man. No need to get offensive. The original post was about how the appearance of a trainer can make people perceive his ability to train. We can tell you are trying to offend people because you state a made up statistic about how dumb the people on the forum are, and then take an off topic shot at religion (maybe trying to be edgy?). I don't think these types of post are beneficial for the trade/profession either.

BTW. Happy to hear you enjoyed your trip to Seattle.

bgholmes77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Someone said that being in good shape does NOT make you a good trainer, and that is true. However, being in bad shape sure as hell makes you a bad trainer. I would never hire a personal stylist with no sense of fashion, so why would you hire and pay someone to train you when they themselves are ignoring the fundamentals of what they are promoting. The irony in it is outrageous. When i went through my physical transformation I went and found the most diesel dude in the gym and hired his ass, they should be a reflection of what they are offering until they get old enough to where they go from "trainers" to "coaches" if you know what I mean.

RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) RyouBakua has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by bgholmes77 View Post
    When i went through my physical transformation I went and found the most diesel dude in the gym and hired his ass, they should be a reflection of what they are offering until they get old enough to where they go from "trainers" to "coaches" if you know what I mean.
    thats a perfect example of how having a good physique will help you

very similiar to how football players and actresses can market their own line of fitness videos

Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    They are not smarter. Some of them may have more knowledge and/or experience, but not smarter.
    In the context of this discussion of trainer/coach competence, one with more knowledge and experience is "smarter".

We don't really care if they can do sudoku, read ancient Greek, do calculus or play the piano. We care about their competence as coaches of movement.

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In the context of this discussion of trainer/coach competence, one with more knowledge and experience is "smarter".

We don't really care if they can do sudoku, read ancient Greek, do calculus or play the piano. We care about their competence as coaches of movement.
    You probably should have been more specific when saying that someone is *smarter* than others, etc. You can not imply as much using the written word as you can in a verbal conversation due to the time lag.

In any case, if the folks who post on here are representative of the average PT, I won't have any problems getting clients. lol

scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000) scarboro is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm starting to improve my own physique(hoping to appeal to clientele) since I just entered the 'field' however talking to many friends/acquaintances who are well experienced left me puzzled.

The most raved about trainers are in very good shape and they have a big rep as being knowledgeable simply because of how they look.
    The most highly paid trainers are not in exceptional shape nor do they have huge networks of people 'hyping them up'.

The sample size of trainers I know is not big enough to make any grand conclusions but the only common factor I see in success is work experience. Physique is raved about but it's not exactly pulling in the big bucks.
    Misc Strength Crew

Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    In any case, if the folks who post on here are representative of the average PT, I won't have any problems getting clients. lol
    You've heard of the "10,000 hours of deliberate practice to achieve mastery" rule? Well, this guy lays it out, and also points out that in some fields there are so few people doing that field at all, or so many doing such a crap job, that it takes much less time than that to stand out.

The important thing to note is that it's deliberate practice, practice challenging you. Otherwise we'd all be Formula 1 drivers by the time we're 50, simply from driving to work each day. We have to challenge ourselves and reflect on our experiences and think how we could do better. For example, recently I challenged myself with the Starting Strength Seminar. Something like 4-6 people of 25 in each group end up with the coaching certification from it, I think it'll be less this time, maybe 2 - and I wasn't one of them.

I actually thought before I even did it that I wouldn't be one of those who got it. But think of your strength - if you never lift weights you might fail, there's only so strong you can get. Our work skills are the same.

If you
    • can teach someone to squat,
    • show up on time
    • and focus solely on the client during the session,
    • and follow up between sessions
    • challenge yourself to get better as a trainer
    then you'll be ahead of 90% of the trainers out there.