NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Question for Floridians

So yesterday I bought two Florida Sunkist. $1.25 EACH!! Why is that, brahs? What’s going on down there that we are paying so much for a DOMESTIC fruit.

I love Sunkist. It’s my favorite domestic fruit, but it sucks that we gotta pay that much considering a mango from Brazil costs $1.50 in the winter and $1.00 in the summer, and coconut from the South Pacific and the Philippines is only a buck!

A buck for a coconut, brahs! Do you guys have any idea how coconuts are harvested? We had two coconut trees in front of our house back in the Islands. When I was a kid I would climb the trunk like a monkey and pull a machete out of my buttcrack to whack the coconuts. So there’s a safety factor involved – the height of the tree, plus wedging a machete between your buttcheeks. Then in order to appreciate the coconut juice and the white ‘meat’ one must go through another series of dangerous tasks. It’s not like peeling a banana, y’know? To get to the coconut shell, a machete will NOT work because the first layer is so dang thick and tough. So we would use a metal stake that is attached to an immovable fixture. Imagine the stake like the one Buffy uses to slay the vampires. I would literally hold the coconut over my head. While the stake is in front of me in the upright position, I would forcefully hit the tip of it with the center of the coconut 4 times around the layer. Then peel off the layer and drill the shell to drink the juice, then whack the shell open to get to the meat. That’s a lot of work, and they only cost a buck in the states.

Just wondering if you Floridians can give me an inside scoop as to why Sunkist cost so much. Thanks.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) GreekyBeth has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Inflation? Citrus canker, shrinking harvestable acreage, import competition. Just a thought.

Built Upon Struggle FlaIronMind's Avatar
    FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) FlaIronMind has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dunno - I just go outside the bedroom and pick one. Better than any store. Your market may just be high - I've seen Florida grapefruit for sale in Germany cheaper than in New Jersey.

I do have fond memories of peeling coconuts the way you described, though I never climbed up with a machete wedged in my rear. Sharp side pointing out I should hope!
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No idea why either? My grandparents lived in St Petersburg and had orange trees in their front and side yards. Would visit and always had free fresh oranges as well as juice...although it took a hell of a lot of oranges to get a glass of juice.
    "You know that little thing in your head that keeps you from saying things you shouldn't? Yeah, well, I don't have one of those."

theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) theKurp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Didn't know there was such a thing as a Florida Sunkist orange. Sunkist oranges come from California and Arizona. Besides, almost all the oranges grown in Florida are turned into orange juice.

racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) racejunkie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Who knows. Our one tree produces so much fruit that we can't give it away so we put it out by the side of the road so that passers by can take some. I guess it's just like everything else, they only charge what the market demands.

On an afterthought, you might want to google orange juice. I remember seeing something about how the juice sits around in large vats for a year and then they add additional orange flavoring to compensate for it sitting so long.

sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sfalcon1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Most of the orange orchards and packers are gone down here. The local orange grower (Florida Orange Groves) here in St Petersburg reinvented themselves and started making wines form citrus juice. Their packing plant off U.S. 19 and Nursery was turned into a car lot. The surrounding areas like Palm Harbor, Fl have built apartments and homes on the orchard land. There are a few around but most of the industry is gone.

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NorwichGrad View Post
    So yesterday I bought two Florida Sunkist. $1.25 EACH!! Why is that, brahs? What’s going on down there that we are paying so much for a DOMESTIC fruit.

I love Sunkist. It’s my favorite domestic fruit, but it sucks that we gotta pay that much considering a mango from Brazil costs $1.50 in the winter and $1.00 in the summer, and coconut from the South Pacific and the Philippines is only a buck!

A buck for a coconut, brahs! Do you guys have any idea how coconuts are harvested? We had two coconut trees in front of our house back in the Islands. When I was a kid I would climb the trunk like a monkey and pull a machete out of my buttcrack to whack the coconuts. So there’s a safety factor involved – the height of the tree, plus wedging a machete between your buttcheeks. Then in order to appreciate the coconut juice and the white ‘meat’ one must go through another series of dangerous tasks. It’s not like peeling a banana, y’know? To get to the coconut shell, a machete will NOT work because the first layer is so dang thick and tough. So we would use a metal stake that is attached to an immovable fixture. Imagine the stake like the one Buffy uses to slay the vampires. I would literally hold the coconut over my head. While the stake is in front of me in the upright position, I would forcefully hit the tip of it with the center of the coconut 4 times around the layer. Then peel off the layer and drill the shell to drink the juice, then whack the shell open to get to the meat. That’s a lot of work, and they only cost a buck in the states.

Just wondering if you Floridians can give me an inside scoop as to why Sunkist cost so much. Thanks.
    It's called a few things: Capitalism, a state with the most retirees (who will pay the price), trade imbalance and no sales tax.

Yes, let me move to NH, where there is no sales tax, but where property tax will kill me.

Folks, they get it one way............. or another.

azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) azeeb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by theKurp View Post
    Didn't know there was such a thing as a Florida Sunkist orange. Sunkist oranges come from California and Arizona. Besides, almost all the oranges grown in Florida are turned into orange juice.
    Pretty sure they are actually California Sunkist. California is getting freezing temps right now which is damaging the crops.

NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NorwichGrad has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Ooops. My bad. I stand corrected. It is California Sunkist. I think the pesticide from overeating mangoes has fried my brain cells. I have always thought all those oranges I eat here in PA came from FL. The reason I say this is because I grew up in Cali. And when I was in Los Angeles I do not ever, ever remember eating oranges as delicious as the ones I eat here in PA, which I’ve always thought came from FL. (Hope that makes sense.)

At any rate, thanks for educating me.

I also wonder why “Australian Organic Grass Fed Filet Mignon” steaks also cheaper here in the states than the grain-fed steaks raised in the US. $6.99 a pound for Aussie Filet Mignon versus $11.99 US version. But that’s for a different thread for our Aussie friends.

And I guess I answered my own question when DBK reminded me of supply-and-demand. I almost forgot we still live in a capitalist society.
    This above all..
    To thine ownself be true..
    And it must follow, as the night the day..
    Thou can'st not then be false to any man..
    -----------------------------------------------
    Bros, my Weightlifters and Powerlifters are my credentials.

MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MarkS51 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by theKurp View Post
    Bingo, if you're talking about oranges for eating I'd be very surprised if it came from Florida. Our oranges are okay but their skins are thin, tight and mottled in color. Not very appealing looking, hard to peel cleanly and tend to be a little tart. Just about every grove's product I've ever been too or around is used for juice.

If it's a CA orange the answer may lie in the hard fact that the EPA is busy putting many growers of lots of things out of business by withholding water to "save" a little fish.
    It's 80% diet, 20% workout and 100% in the mind.

If you can read or carry on a conversation, you ain't working out.

To be different the only thing you have to do is stand fast when the herd moves.

Parking your s**t on a bench ain't the same thing as using it!

DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DocHoss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    And I guess I answered my own question when DBK reminded me of supply-and-demand. I almost forgot we still live in a capitalist society.
    In theory, at least
    Peace: Lift Long and Prosper!

Alamagan Dågan - and proud of it!

Lean, mean, geek machine

kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kh971 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ooops. My bad. I stand corrected. It is California Sunkist. I think the pesticide from overeating mangoes has fried my brain cells. I have always thought all those oranges I eat here in PA came from FL. The reason I say this is because I grew up in Cali. And when I was in Los Angeles I do not ever, ever remember eating oranges as delicious as the ones I eat here in PA, which I’ve always thought came from FL. (Hope that makes sense.)

At any rate, thanks for educating me.

I also wonder why “Australian Organic Grass Fed Filet Mignon” steaks also cheaper here in the states than the grain-fed steaks raised in the US. $6.99 a pound for Aussie Filet Mignon versus $11.99 US version. But that’s for a different thread for our Aussie friends.

My dad's neighbor just retired from managing a 18,000 acres cattle ranch in Florida. He said the US sells alot of its beef to Europe for more money, than US prices and that we import alot of Argentinian beef, that is cheaper. Go figure.

rodriguez40 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    @ NorwichGrad If you think that's bad. A couple of days ago i paid $9 and change for four apples, here in Miami Beach in a Publix. Ouch!