Thread: Running

Registered User jecroisenlamour's Avatar
    jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Cool Running

I'd like to learn how to like running. I want to be able to run more than a mile or two... any tips how I can go from there? I am sort of new at running so I want to start at square one and then move forward... any advices or tips would be great
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/kmmcquay
    http://anewjourneyx21.tumblr.com

It's not diet... it's a healthy lifestyle!! :)

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jecroisenlamour View Post
    I'd like to learn how to like running. I want to be able to run more than a mile or two... any tips how I can go from there? I am sort of new at running so I want to start at square one and then move forward... any advices or tips would be great
    Your post is a bit confusing. Why would you do something you don't like? Do you think you have to run to meet a specific goal?
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10) jecroisenlamour is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    Your post is a bit confusing. Why would you do something you don't like? Do you think you have to run to meet a specific goal?
    I know it doesn't make sense, I never liked running but I want to run. I want to use cardio wisely. I know there are different ways to do cardio like Zumba, Spinning, Elliptical, and so on. But I just think running is another great way to lose weight so I want to start slow, improve myself and maybe a chance of liking to run again if I continue to challenge myself.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I know it doesn't make sense, I never liked running but I want to run. I want to use cardio wisely. I know there are different ways to do cardio like Zumba, Spinning, Elliptical, and so on. But I just think running is another great way to lose weight so I want to start slow, improve myself and maybe a chance of liking to run again if I continue to challenge myself.
    That's great if you want to take up running to continue challenging yourself. But it's important you understand that losing weight/fat comes down to getting yourself in a calorie deficit. You need to get a firm grasp with your nutrition.

This will be a good place for you to start:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703921

Welcome and good luck!
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    If running is really what you want to do then I would suggest one of the many beginner programs out there that start with a run/walk schedule. The easiest way to kill the drive to run is to overdo it at first.

Something like a couch to 5k would probably work well and ease you into running without overdoing it. I used this type of program to build up to 5k, then 10k, then a half-marathon.
    Goal: Peace, love & happiness...and arms that go bump in the night.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    toodlepip took the post out of my mouth.

lots of couch to 5k programs out there, that work you up to running a 5k. running like anything, the more you do of it, the more efficient you become. in the beginning, you might not like any sport, because it takes time to learn it, and learn what works and doesn't work for you. i love running, as it serves as therapy sometimes for me, dare i say. i love running outdoors, and thankfully, i live in a climate now (florida) where i can run all year round outdoors. you can too if you live in a colder climate, i used to live up north, but don't have to concern myself with ice, and snow down here.

in other words, i wouldn't do the couch to 5k on a treadmill. you can use the treadmill here and there, but if you want to truly give running a chance, and really find out if you like it...do it outdoors.

everything's better outdoors. good luck!

ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I agree with starting with a c25k program (several apps for your phone that work nicely), where you're doing it every other day and starting with more walking than running. I also more than agree the key is NOT doing it on a treadmill. Since I live someplace where it rains 360 days of the year, sometimes I have to woman up and get my jog in at the gym. I swear the treadmill is a modern day torture device.

Other than that, I think a huge key of ENJOYING running/jogging is taking your time, not pushing yourself harder than your body can go, and changing up your routes. Oh, and get good shoes. There's nothing like screwing up your feet/knees on a cheap pair of trainers and then claiming running isn't for you.

dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50) dalkristel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I totally agree with the posts above, running outdoors is the best! I hate treadmills - my large boobs always bang the emergency stop button after about 5 minutes in my gym - its so annoying! If you have never run before run short ie five minutes to start with, just run around the block then each week or every few days just up it a little more, I only run 30/40 minutes thats all you need if you do it regularly and you are doing other training as well. Years ago, I used to hate the thought of running but now if I don't run I hate myself! You will get the bug believe me! Make sure you get good running shoes as the above poster said too - its imperative to get the right footwear - and the right sports bra - I have to double bra but it works. Keep at it and good luck!
    Sometimes I feel like giving up....

Then I remember I have a lot of mother****ers to prove wrong!

wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Running is great!! i broke my knuckle while weightlifting last summer, hand in a cast, i took up running, ran a 10k 3 weeks after in 1hr10mins then ran a 5k 2 weeks after that..I am running a few times a week 2miles in 15.37miles...not trying to do too much as i am really trying to gain muscle but i love my running!! tEven when i get to the point of almost puking!

whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) whatevergirl has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by dalkristel View Post
    I totally agree with the posts above, running outdoors is the best! I hate treadmills - my large boobs always bang the emergency stop button after about 5 minutes in my gym - its so annoying!
    lol...just another reason to run outdoors! (I have smaller boobs, so can't relate )

Make sure you get good running shoes as the above poster said too - its imperative to get the right footwear - and the right sports bra - I have to double bra but it works. Keep at it and good luck!
    yes on the footwear. OP, give the minimalist shoes a test...try a few pairs of those on, and see how you like. hard to tell until you run a few miles to see what suits best, but i personally love the minimalist shoes.

YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) YANABA29 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am supposed to start law enforcement training in september, which requires a lot of running. I didn't like running either, bc I couldn't until I gave the god forsaken choker sticks a month ago. This is what I have been doing though some may not agree with it, it has been working for me. I started this two weeks ago I have been doing a weight training program, insteade of resting in between set, I jog in place to get my heart rate up for three minutes then off to the next set. Start out slowly though bc like any other cardio over doing it or getting to ambitious can lead to injury. Your heart is just like any other muscle in your body, you have to train it to become stronger, just as you don't wake up in the morning from not lifting at all to benching 50.

LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10) LeanButNotMean is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by whatevergirl View Post
    yes on the footwear. OP, give the minimalist shoes a test...try a few pairs of those on, and see how you like. hard to tell until you run a few miles to see what suits best, but i personally love the minimalist shoes.
    Lots of great advice given here; however, if you are seriously considering running it would be to your advantage to go to a proper running store to get fitted for shoes. Minimalist shoes may be fine for someone who is lighter, but for a heavier runner, they could lead to injury. Consider this: when you run, your feet absorb as much as 3x your body weight with each step.

yes, getting fitted for the proper shoe is a great idea...
    some of those running shops, can be a little pricey, but it's a smart investment.

Wow!! Thank you ladies!!! That made me look forward to run!! I will try your advices!

I do have a pair of Nike+ shoes but it is a bit uncomfortable so I may have to go to a running store to get it fitted for the proper shoes. Just curious, what kind of brand shoes do you guys have for running shoes?? I love Nike... I've been looking for running shoes such as Nike Free Run + 3 shoes... and some other shoes that is similar to it...

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ldyparadox99 View Post
    Other than that, I think a huge key of ENJOYING running/jogging is taking your time, not pushing yourself harder than your body can go, and changing up your routes. Oh, and get good shoes. There's nothing like screwing up your feet/knees on a cheap pair of trainers and then claiming running isn't for you.
    Exactly! I don't run weekly anymore but when I do it's pretty much for fun/because I want to do something outside. Find some interesting trails in the park to run so you have some nice scenary and if you're an ipod person make a playlist of your favorite fast paced songs. (Not that people would have a bunch of stuff on their ipod they don't like lol, but you get the idea. ) And yes comfortable shoes x2.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wow!! Thank you ladies!!! That made me look forward to run!! I will try your advices!

I do have a pair of Nike+ shoes but it is a bit uncomfortable so I may have to go to a running store to get it fitted for the proper shoes. Just curious, what kind of brand shoes do you guys have for running shoes?? I love Nike... I've been looking for running shoes such as Nike Free Run + 3 shoes... and some other shoes that is similar to it...
    I love my asics gel 9 but i also like my champions their both extremely light i ran my 10k in sauconys and it wasnt bad either

AKrunner11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think a lot of it is excitement and passion. Not necessarily for running, but for what you want. It'll give you that drive. Some runners like music that can match their footfalls, the faster the beat the faster you may run. Others like to listen to their breathing and listen to the ques their bodies give them while trying to avoid listening to their head too much telling them to stop. I've been running my entire life, and it's not always fun, sometimes it really hurts but you really need a reason. The first step is always the hardest. But I guess my biggest piece of advice would be to get out there and start, learn from your mistakes, listen to your body and never quit. You'll get there

Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000)

I run 4-5 times a week, 4 miles a day. I use the Nike Air Pegasus+29 running shoes.... they are amazing. I tried using the free run's and they didn't really work out to well for me. The Air Pegasus have enough cushion for your foot but it still feels like it is a minimalist shoe even though it isn't lol I love them.
    Running outdoors is my favorite, however, due to school schedules I have to run on the treadmill's at the gym at my university this semester. I like to listen to music while I run, and I also like to track my run's using the Nike+ app. It keeps me motivated to see how much I have run, and my time's, etc. Good luck and enjoy. Running is the best
    Love the Lord your God with all your heart & with all your soul & with all your mind & with all your strength. -Mark 12:30

With God all things are possible. -Matthew 19:26

myfitnesspal: marissarenee

★ ☆ ★ MFP Aesthetics Crew ☆ ★ ☆ ★

ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ldyparadox99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I've been running in asics lately. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choice here in the Netherlands for running shoes if you don't like Nike (they tend to be too narrow for my foot). Then again, there isn't a whole lot of consumer choice period, so I take what I can get. ;-)

UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) UnaChispita has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Hey!

Former long distance runner checking in.

First. Good idea to go to a running store--and I'd suggest a running store staffed by ppl who actually run. Bring your current shoes with you so they can look at the bottoms to see if you supinate, pronate, etc.
    The brand you should get is a brand that feels good to you. The store should have a treadmill/space for you to "run" so you can try them out a little. The store I go to will accept a return after a few wears IF I've been running inside. Call around to find a store or ask ppl who are serious runners for a store rec.

Now...I see your weight. I have weight to lose so no hate. Running with extra weight is difficult. This might be partially why you hate running right now.

You might try a run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute program. I really like Jeff Galloway's programs of run-walk-run. (World class runner and former Olympian).

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

Also: Finding a running buddy might be of help. You have to figure out what will motivate you--great music on your iPod running by yourself? A friend to run/talk with? Treadmill? Outside?

Starting to run sucks at first. Lungs burn, legs hurt...it gets better once you get used to it. Stick with it if you think it's something you'd like. Runner's high: So fabulous (and no hangover)

Good luck!
    Last edited by UnaChispita; 01-18-2013 at 08:38 PM.

Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000) Lioness27 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by UnaChispita View Post
    Hey!

Former long distance runner checking in.

First. Good idea to go to a running store--and I'd suggest an running store staffed by ppl who actually run. Bring your current shoes with you so they can look at the bottoms to see if you supinate, pronate, etc.
    The brand you should get is a brand that feels good to you. The store should have a treadmill/space for you to "run" so you can try them out a little. The store I go to will accept a return after a few wears IF I've been running inside. Call around to find a store or ask ppl who are serious runners for a store rec.

Now...I see your weight. I have weight to lose so no hate. Running with extra weight is difficult. This might be partially why you hate running right now.

You might try a run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute program. I really like Jeff Galloway's programs of run-walk-run. (World class runner and former Olympian).

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/index.html

Also: Finding a running buddy might be of help. You have to figure out what will motivate you--great music on your iPod running by yourself? A friend to run/talk with? Treadmill? Outside?

Starting to run sucks at first. Lungs burn, legs hurt...it gets better once you get used to it. Stick with it if you think it's something you'd like. Runner's high: So fabulous (and no hangover)

Good luck!
    So much this, SRS!
    I have always played sports, ever since I was in the first grade, but let me just say I wasn't a small, skinny child haha when I got to middle school I decided to try track. I didn't really enjoy it very much at the time. Running did hurt, and after my freshman year in high school I decided to join soccer (tons of running) and I fell in love with it. I became really dedicated. I started to enjoy running. My senior year I decided to join cross country because I had fallen in love with running. The rest is history now. I still love it. I have lost weight and my cardiovascular system is working great. It doesn't hurt to run anymore.
    I also advise that you start a run-walk program and gradually increase into running only! You can do it
    Love the Lord your God with all your heart & with all your soul & with all your mind & with all your strength. -Mark 12:30

With God all things are possible. -Matthew 19:26

myfitnesspal: marissarenee

★ ☆ ★ MFP Aesthetics Crew ☆ ★ ☆ ★