hermanJnr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So close, yet so far!

I've been exercising at home on my own for about 18 months, possibly longer. In that time I've worked like crazy and transformed from obese to pretty fit and healthy.

I've dropped 6 stone. It took pretty enormous willpower to do - I cut out excess food, I hit the bike every single day I could, I did basic strength training practically every day. I've gone from XL shirts to being able to fit snugly into Small or Medium. I actually love exercise now, it's like I'm a different person.

But...I'm still not where I want to be. My ultimate dream is to get a nice flat stomach, perhaps one day gain the ever-elusive six-pack. It feels like miles away.

My measurements put me around 15-17% body fat now. I look fairly muscular I guess. People ask if I play sports, that kind of thing. But progress has slowed since the pure weight loss days, and sometimes it just feels like I'm treading water. It must have been about 3-4 months ago that I first saw my abs and ribs appear as shadowy lines, but since then things have changed only minimally. It's hard to keep going every day, I enjoy working out, but it's frustrating that the results aren't so dramatic anymore.

Do you ever feel like you've achieved so much, but you're still miles from where you would love to be? How do you crack motivation for those situations? Thanks

TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TheCEL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hermanJnr View Post

Do you ever feel like you've achieved so much, but you're still miles from where you would love to be? How do you crack motivation for those situations? Thanks
    I feel that everytime man! I just go to the gym whenever a cute girl is there and go CRAZY! haha jk.... Practice of will everyday makes your stronger. even if you pasted your expectations your still in obstacles.

acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100) acyu2012 is not very well liked. (-100)
    right on
    Originally Posted by TheCEL View Post
    I feel that everytime man! I just go to the gym whenever a cute girl is there and go CRAZY! haha jk.... Practice of will everyday makes your stronger. even if you pasted your expectations your still in obstacles.

StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000) StimFlow is just really nice. (+1000)
    im in similar boat. went from 29%bf to 12.5 and now prob lingering around 13-14 while im stuffing myself during my weight gain phase. While the end goal is still the same as when I started, i find that I am quite content to go into the gym everyday without worrying about lack of speedy progress because what i really look forward to is the pump. And as long as i get a good pump during a workout I know I'm doing ok.

We live in the 'now' so while I think short and long term goals are a very important part of our journey my immediate day to day goal is just to get that big dopamine release while on a pump every morning. The same mentality to how some people need that cup of coffee in the morning to get going... perhaps approaching a workout with that mentality will give you the day to day motivation you need..
    ----------------------------------
    *collarbone fracture crew*
    *pescetarian crew*
    ---------
    ---

Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Misctake7 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Awesome job OP on the weight loss. I went through something similar. Was about 290lbs and went down to 178lbs by doing a lot of cardio and light weights. That's about the time I think I started having similar thoughts to what you described in your OP. At that point, I decided to get a gym membership, bulk, and lift heavy weights. That was a year ago. I now sit at 200lbs after bulking twice and cutting once. I am two weeks into my current cut and I don't feel as far away from my goals.

It's likely you are going to have to go through an extended bulking cycle like I did if you don't already see abs at 6'0 165lbs.

Good luck OP

kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It takes years to get that ultimate physique. If it happened over night and were easy everyone would look great and be healthy. Most people don't stick to it 18 months let alone years so keep it up. Congrats on your results, hopefully your story will inspire others that anything is possible if they want it bad enough

stephendo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stephendo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stephendo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stephendo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stephendo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) stephendo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hermanJnr View Post
    I've been exercising at home on my own for about 18 months, possibly longer. In that time I've worked like crazy and transformed from obese to pretty fit and healthy.

I've dropped 6 stone. It took pretty enormous willpower to do - I cut out excess food, I hit the bike every single day I could, I did basic strength training practically every day. I've gone from XL shirts to being able to fit snugly into Small or Medium. I actually love exercise now, it's like I'm a different person.

But...I'm still not where I want to be. My ultimate dream is to get a nice flat stomach, perhaps one day gain the ever-elusive six-pack. It feels like miles away.

My measurements put me around 15-17% body fat now. I look fairly muscular I guess. People ask if I play sports, that kind of thing. But progress has slowed since the pure weight loss days, and sometimes it just feels like I'm treading water. It must have been about 3-4 months ago that I first saw my abs and ribs appear as shadowy lines, but since then things have changed only minimally. It's hard to keep going every day, I enjoy working out, but it's frustrating that the results aren't so dramatic anymore.

Awesome progress man!! I definitely feel the same way, I am happy with everything except my abs. Working on getting rid of that last bit of tummy, but what motivated me was sharing progress pictures of what I currently achieved already, via ******** or my website. You'll of course possibly have haters but then there's others out there that will give you compliments that you might have never thought of about yourself. Hope that helps!! Stay motivated man!!
    Visit my website for health topics, recipes, workouts, and other related items!
    www.stephendo.com

Please "Like" my ******** Page for updates!
    www.********.com/stephendofitnesslifestyle

jandirigma has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I feel you, man. What helps me stay motivated in the long run is set up little goals to accomplish in the short-term to keep things fun but still relevant. Let's say my goal would be to get more conditioned for my sport, boxing.

I may create a workout circuit and strive to perform "x" number of reps more per exercise or "x" amount of weight more per exercise for three weeks. Then I may move to more competitive goals like beating my gym mates at short-distance running or punch out drills for "x" amounts of sessions. For something more casual, I time how fast I can bike to the grocery and try to break my record the next time, hehe! They're small goals, but still relevant to my body composition/conditioning goals.

I also go to Youtube for motivation and search for athletes that inspire me. I then note the qualities of the athlete I like and work on things in my training that help me develop certain attributes I like about the athlete and strive to develop those qualities myself. I find that finding a role model and trying to be like him or better than him is a great way to motivate myself in the long-term and keep myself competitive.

Bro, check out the book "Wrestling Tough" if you can. Though I'm not a wrestler, I've found it a great motivational read with many great insights, stories, and strategies to sticking to your goals and keeping yourself motivated. All the best!

unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250) unleashthelion has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've dropped over 150 and I am still at a BF of 40%. I hear you, bro.

Just... keep... going...