T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is this normal or a sign of age?

I'm 42, 5'-7" about 168 pounds and have been lifting again for around 4 months consistently. I do all the basics such as squat, deads, bench, press, etc. and all my lifts feel good in my workouts after a thorough warm up. However, a few minutes after waking up in the morning, for example as I'm walking into the shower, I would never consider squatting down deeply to pick something up without holding onto something for assistance to lessen the strain on my cold knees and tight body. Of course I could easily do it but it just doesn't feel like it would be a good thing. Lol.

Therefore, is it normal to be able to squat and deadlift for reps with moderate weight and have it feel great but also normal to feel tight and stiff in the morning?

Of course once Im up and moving around I'm fine.

homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10) homegymworkoutz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If its not pain it might be ok op

T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10) T-Rage is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by homegymworkoutz View Post
    If its not pain it might be ok op
    No pain at all.

Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Im the same way. I blame age/wear and tear.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by T-Rage View Post
    I'm 42, 5'-7" about 168 pounds and have been lifting again for around 4 months consistently. I do all the basics such as squat, deads, bench, press, etc. and all my lifts feel good in my workouts after a thorough warm up. However, a few minutes after waking up in the morning, for example as I'm walking into the shower, I would never consider squatting down deeply to pick something up without holding onto something for assistance to lessen the strain on my cold knees and tight body. Of course I could easily do it but it just doesn't feel like it would be a good thing. Lol.

Therefore, is it normal to be able to squat and deadlift for reps with moderate weight and have it feel great but also normal to feel tight and stiff in the morning?

Of course once Im up and moving around I'm fine.
    WTF dude at 42 you need to hold on to something to bend down? My father at 80 did not need to do that.
    On the list for Bannukah

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    WTF dude at 42 you need to hold on to something to bend down? My father at 80 did not need to do that.
    No no no. I don't need to but feeling that stiff in the morning I'm not interested in tweaking something unnecessarily.

Would you lift something heavy right after you woke up?!?

Originally Posted by Jrob69 View Post
    Im the same way. I blame age/wear and tear.
    Thanks that's what I was hoping to hear.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No no no. I don't need to but feeling that stiff in the morning I'm not interested in tweaking something unnecessarily.

Would you lift something heavy right after you woke up?!?
    Sure I can if I wanted to or needed to. I don't get up stiff in the morning (well except for my penis ). But seriously no I don't get up tight or stiff, I am fine in the morning and throughout the day.

I do get DOMS though after a good workout and will get up sore, but not to the point where I am stiff.
    On the list for Bannukah

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Could be a hydration problem. If I don't drink enough water one day I wake up very tight and stiff the next day, and it only goes away after I move around and get some fluids into me.

Originally Posted by bodyhard View Post
    Sure I can if I wanted to or needed to. I don't get up stiff in the morning (well except for my penis ). But seriously no I don't get up tight or stiff, I am fine in the morning and throughout the day.

I do get DOMS though after a good workout and will get up sore, but not to the point where I am stiff.
    Ok good to know (minus the penis part lol). I have been progressing with my weights and maybe after some more time that tightness and stiffness will subside.

Ok good to know (minus the penis part lol). I have been progressing with my weights and maybe after some more time that tightness and stiffness will subside.
    But let me say this I used to do a lot of martial arts so I stretched a lot. I don't practice anymore but I still do stretches so I don't know if that has contributed to me not feeling any tightness even though I am 48.
    On the list for Bannukah

Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jrob69 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try foam rolling. I started this past week and it feels great. Not enough to notice the am tightness go away yet though.

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm often stiff and achey but I've been lifting for 25 years and have many old injuries. Foam rolling can help but you need to start working on mobility - try MobilityWOD.com.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ilovethe80s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think it is both normal and a sign of age. If you are just noticing this now though, I'd also blame the cold. I have over 15 years of lifting and old injuries and when I first get out of bed (and have not been balancing my lifting with enough stretching and conditioning), am limping. I never feel this stiff in the summer. Just raising the body temperature a bit helps tons. I have to train at the crack of dawn and cannot imagine a squat when first waking, but after just a brief dynamic warmup raising the body temp a bit, ready to go.
    CSCS

845@132 | Wilks 429.55
    Meet lifts : Squat 275 | Bench 170 | Dead 400

Journal : http://tinyurl.com/80s-lifting-journal

mom to 3 boys / spend my life at grocery store crew

Originally Posted by ilovethe80s View Post
    I think it is both normal and a sign of age. If you are just noticing this now though, I'd also blame the cold. I have over 15 years of lifting and old injuries and when I first get out of bed (and have not been balancing my lifting with enough stretching and conditioning), am limping. I never feel this stiff in the summer. Just raising the body temperature a bit helps tons. I have to train at the crack of dawn and cannot imagine a squat when first waking, but after just a brief dynamic warmup raising the body temp a bit, ready to go.
    Ah yes I forgot to mention its cold here in the NE! Yes what you described is exactly what I feel. I def like wearing lots of clothes to get my core warmed up for workouts as everything just feels and works better :-)

evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10) evilscout6 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My knees and ankles are always stiff when I get up too but im fine after I walk around the house to the kitchen and bathroom. I blame all the walking around with heavy gear in the military,running, jumping from planes and of course heavy squats...ohh and 38 is coming here next week...lol...
    U.S.Army Aviation 1994-2005
    U.S.Army Cavalry 2010-2013

2013 goal : 1700+ Total on Nov 9th USAPL Georgia(220)

Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Smelly bull has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's you routine? How about the diet? i will get stiff from time to time but ever since i upped the protein and fats in my diet, the "stiffness" has slowly reduced in intensity and duration.
    400# Bulgarian bicep curl

Originally Posted by Smelly bull View Post
    What's you routine? How about the diet? i will get stiff from time to time but ever since i upped the protein and fats in my diet, the "stiffness" has slowly reduced in intensity and duration.
    Ah good point about diet. I follow a high fat, moderate protein, low to moderate carbs depending on whether its a lifting day.

I think it's normal from what I'm seeing here bug I will try all suggestions.
    Last edited by T-Rage; 01-13-2013 at 11:00 AM.