Registered User JonDoeAnonymous's Avatar
    JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Starting Strength + Other workouts/exercise??????

I'm a 16 year old who's been lifting for about 8 months, kind of lost focus and getting back into it, I chose starting strength to get my core lifts up, especially my squat which is piss weak. Anyway assuming I did the program Mon/Wed/Fri, could something like this work?

Monday- Morning: SS Workout, Evening: Abs
    Tuesday- 5-6km run
    Wednesday- SS Workout, Evening: Abs
    Thursday- 5-6km run
    Friday- Morning: SS Workout, Evening: Abs
    Saturday- Interval Training
    Sunday- Rest

Is that feasible? Would those running sessions hurt my gains much orr?..

Perhaps cutting out the squatting on Friday might work I guess. Bear in my mind I still have a knee that's just recovered/recovering from a loose ligament.

JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) JonDoeAnonymous has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bump

foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000) foreverSNAFU is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by JonDoeAnonymous View Post
    I'm a 16 year old who's been lifting for about 8 months, kind of lost focus and getting back into it, I chose starting strength to get my core lifts up, especially my squat which is piss weak. Anyway assuming I did the program Mon/Wed/Fri, could something like this work?

Monday- Morning: SS Workout, Evening: Abs
    Tuesday- 5-6km run
    Wednesday- SS Workout, Evening: Abs
    Thursday- 5-6km run
    Friday- Morning: SS Workout, Evening: Abs
    Saturday- Interval Training
    Sunday- Rest

Is that feasible? Would those running sessions hurt my gains much orr?..

Perhaps cutting out the squatting on Friday might work I guess. Bear in my mind I still have a knee that's just recovered/recovering from a loose ligament.
    I dunno if there's a point to doing SS if you're not bulking, and once you start stalling on your lifts the running will definitely interfere with your recovery.

Also, the extra ab work is just unnecessary, heavy squats will take a toll on your abs all on their own.
    ► South Florida Crew

floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    That is an awful lot of running to do when your lifts start getting tough. What is your goal?

DO NOT ELIMINATE THE SQUATS ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!

I believe the running is actually more damaging to your knee then the squats IMO.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up"

bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bradmath1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Do not drop the squat on any day. I switched to front squats on wed. only

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why so much cardio? Are you a competitive runner? If you are already conditioned to that level of running you should be able to progress a while, but it will definitely hurt your gains at some point or another. If you are not conditioned to anything and are just jumping into everything at once then good luck. That's going to be tough to keep up with.

Don't cut out squatting on any day. If you need a light squat day or a front squat day, take it, but try to keep the full back squats every day for as long as your recovery allows. Hold off on the abs for now. When the weights get heavy you will see how strong your core is.

tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DetMatthews View Post
    Why so much cardio? Are you a competitive runner? If you are already conditioned to that level of running you should be able to progress a while, but it will definitely hurt your gains at some point or another. If you are not conditioned to anything and are just jumping into everything at once then good luck. That's going to be tough to keep up with.

Don't cut out squatting on any day. If you need a light squat day or a front squat day, take it, but try to keep the full back squats every day for as long as your recovery allows. Hold off on the abs for now. When the weights get heavy you will see how strong your core is.
    Hey, consider me your fanboi hehehe

OP listen to this guy, he knows his stuffs. And have you read SS book? Because I remember Rip said very clearly not to modify or add anything into his prescribed program, now I don't believe in stick to program 100% or you'll get AIDS but I do believe that while on SS it's so hard to add any more exercises or cardio. Check this link out, my personal favourite modified SS http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=135564721
    S120kg/B97.5kg/D140kg/OHP62kg
    My training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150869353

Thanks for the input everyone, I'm just sticking with the program and won't alter it, I'll get a bit of Cardio from school PE anyway, I'm prepared to sacrifice that for a few months so I can gain a base level of strength and size.
    Also, I've just recovered from a knee injury so don't laugh but I was only finishing up sets of Squats on 60 kg :/ I started the program yesterday and dropped most lifts to 50kg, how long can I expect to wait before I'm squatting 100kg?

DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50) DetMatthews will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JonDoeAnonymous View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone, I'm just sticking with the program and won't alter it, I'll get a bit of Cardio from school PE anyway, I'm prepared to sacrifice that for a few months so I can gain a base level of strength and size.
    Also, I've just recovered from a knee injury so don't laugh but I was only finishing up sets of Squats on 60 kg :/ I started the program yesterday and dropped most lifts to 50kg, how long can I expect to wait before I'm squatting 100kg?
    Don't set a time table. Just treat every single set like your life depends on getting all of the reps. You will get there eventually.

On a more helpful note, if you don't miss any reps and squat 3x a week, increase at 2.5kgs per workout, you should be there in 5 weeks plus one workout. But if you're recovering from a knee injury, push yourself, but not to the point of reinjuring it. Better to have a voluntary reset than a forced one.