Thread: Bench plateau

Jusstn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bench plateau

I think I've hit my first bench plateau. My current chest day is as follows:
    Flat BB bench- 225x10x1 245x7x1 265x5x1 275x3x1 225x5x1
    Incline BB bench-185x8x1 205x6x1 225x4x1
    Decline BB-225x8x1 245x6x1 285x3x1
    DB fly- 50x5x3 55x5x1

I've been stuck with my 1rm at 315 on flat bench for the past 4 months or so if theres any particular exercise that i could throw into the mix to help break my plateau i would appreciate it.

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can try to target specific problematic portions of the lift (i.e. top, bottom, etc.) using accessory movements. Since you're doing 315 already, these more "advanced" techniques can definitely help in progression.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Speed bench. Lift as fast as you can around 70% of your arm to try. It will help you be more explosive when you go back to lifting heavy and will increase the chance of your making the higher lift.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Jusstn View Post
    Flat BB bench- 225x10x1 245x7x1 265x5x1 275x3x1 225x5x1
    Incline BB bench-185x8x1 205x6x1 225x4x1
    Decline BB-225x8x1 245x6x1 285x3x1
    DB fly- 50x5x3 55x5x1
    are all the sets till failure?

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You're pre-exhausting with the 225x10 set. I've had better luck busting through plateaus doing a heavy 5x5 routine. Also..what is your calorie intake? I was stuck at 305for a long time. I didn't break past that until I ate above maintenance. In the 3 months I took the 305 PR to 325. There will come a stalling point. The only way to surpass it is to incease calories IMO.

sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    20 years old boy a decade younger than me is benching 275*3 and i only bench 185*3 OMG what is going on here explain to me how on earth you became able to lift this weight
    Iam jealous now
    Stats:as of 6/1/2013
    Bench press::190*3-5
    Bent Row:165*6
    Squat:175*10
    Deadlift:: 285*5
    Pull up*20-25

omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So someone already mentioned isolating the different portions of the lift and that's a really good idea. You could also try heavy negatives with a spotter. Sometimes just "feeling" the weight will get you around any mental barriers you might have about breaking thru your plateau. You could also try a completely different rep scheme then what you are used to and see if that helps when you go back to your regular routine. How are your acesssory lifts? Can you do heavy dips with a plate or more attached to a belt? What about your back? Is it as built up as your chest? Lots of times when you hit a plateau like this it's because you might have strength in the core muscle but the accessory muscles aren't where they need to be. Honestly though, be patient, 4 months isn't a long time for a plateau. Usually when this happens to me I just change up my routine for a while and when I come back I'm stronger for some reason and no longer as pysched out as before.

omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) omnisis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by sameaha View Post
    20 years old boy a decade younger than me is benching 275*3 and i only bench 185*3 OMG what is going on here explain to me how on earth you became able to lift this weight
    Iam jealous now
    He's 6'0"|230# and you are 5'8"|169#. He's starting with a lot more. That's like me asking how a 350#|6'5" NFL linebacker can bench 500lbs and I can't. Granted anyone can add mass to their frame, but the bigger that frame is the more mass you can add relatively.

fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fropleyqk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Iam jealous now
    Not really sure what age has to do with it??? A 20 year old is more in his prime than you are... Theres a lot more that goes into it... age being a low factor. But if it motivates you... win!

GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10) GenevaB is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    youre doing too much...all you need is 1-3 max sets of pressing in total and a little triceps
    Last edited by GenevaB; 01-13-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Originally Posted by BankWalker View Post
    You're pre-exhausting with the 225x10 set. I've had better luck busting through plateaus doing a heavy 5x5 routine. Also..what is your calorie intake? I was stuck at 305for a long time. I didn't break past that until I ate above maintenance. In the 3 months I took the 305 PR to 325. There will come a stalling point. The only way to surpass it is to incease calories IMO.
    I'm eating around 2500 cals a day so around maintenance.

Iam jealous now
    Hard work

Originally Posted by omnisis View Post
    So someone already mentioned isolating the different portions of the lift and that's a really good idea. You could also try heavy negatives with a spotter. Sometimes just "feeling" the weight will get you around any mental barriers you might have about breaking thru your plateau. You could also try a completely different rep scheme then what you are used to and see if that helps when you go back to your regular routine. How are your acesssory lifts? Can you do heavy dips with a plate or more attached to a belt? What about your back? Is it as built up as your chest? Lots of times when you hit a plateau like this it's because you might have strength in the core muscle but the accessory muscles aren't where they need to be. Honestly though, be patient, 4 months isn't a long time for a plateau. Usually when this happens to me I just change up my routine for a while and when I come back I'm stronger for some reason and no longer as pysched out as before.
    Chest is actually my weakest muscle group to be honest but yeah I think i'll switch it up a little and see how it goes.