wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wickedmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What basic exercise program do you recommend your beginner clients for fast fatloss

Hi there i just started working as a pt last week and my first few clients (which were actually the gyms clients not my own) strictly wanted to lose weight and one did not want to lift weights. So i prescribed them a training circuit on 4-5 diff cardio machines alternating from each one every 5mins. If they were actually doing private sessions with me to get them to lose weight i would have them doing bootcamp and bodyweight exercises with me instead of putting them on machines as i believe thats the fastest way to lose weight. Now because they are beginners and doing this own their own, do you think i went about this the right way? any critisicm would be greatly appreciated... thanks

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well, the fastest way to lose weight comes from diet, so unless you know how they are eating, all you are there for is to get the most calorie burn out of them you can. Without them lifting weights, they probably wont see the "toned" body they thought they would. Sounds like you made the best out of the situation. Although would they not touch the isolation machines? You could have done a circuit just out of the isolation machines, like they do at curves. Seems to work for the curves peeps.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cardio is probably the best you could do for them. The best way to lose fat is diet + weight training, but they don't want to do weights, and they probably don't control their diet very well or else they would be able to lose fat on their own. I might do intervals for the first part and then slower steady state for the end, but unless they control their diet, they probably won't get very far very fast.

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If someone says they don't want to lift weights, you ask why, while taking them over to a cardio machine of their choice. You talk to them for a few minutes while they do some light cardio warming up, and find out what their objections to resistance training are. Nine times out of ten, their objections will be based on inaccurate misconceptions, although occasionally they will have legitimate health reasons not to do strength training, or will know the actual effects of it and still not want it (for some reason). For that minority, address their needs in whatever way you can (assuming you have the required knowledge and qualifications; if not, refer on) without strength training. For the majority, reassure them that they don't have to do strength training, however you recommend that they still do it because of the benefits of it. By no means do I recommend having a pre-written spiel, but something to the effect of the following should reasonably argue your case:

"Right now as you're walking on the treadmill, you're probably burning about 5 Calories a minute, which doesn't sound like much, but adds up to about 300 in an hour. If the only change you made to your lifestyle was that hour of walking every day, you'd lose about half a pound each week. However, I'd recommend that you let me take you through some strength training exercises. If you do the exercises I recommend [NB. I'm working on the assumption that you give clients mostly compound lifts; this sentence becomes a lie otherwise], you can actually burn a fair amount more than that in each minute of exercise, while still improving your cardiovascular fitness, along with your musculoskeletal health -- not size, health -- which will really free you up in other areas of life."

And then let them make their decision. If at that point they trust you enough to try strength training, great. If not, that's their prerogative. If they provide more objections, you give them a considered response. For example, "But won't a I get big from doing weights?" "Actually, getting bigger is really a function of consuming more energy than you use. You've already told me that you're here to lose weight and tone up, so am I right in assuming that you won't be spending your time outside of the gym trying to get big?" "...yeah..." "Then you won't get bigger [said with a shrug and smile, maybe a light laugh]. Instead, you'll just trim down and lean up."

If you've addressed all their objections/concerns and they still aren't willing, don't force it. The least you can do for them now is to teach them how to safely use the cardio equipment that they are willing to use, and try to keep the session pleasant. If someone's not willing to try something, be okay with that. The alternative will almost always make them feel put off by you, which doesn't just mean you lose them as a client, but you also lose the 20 people they'll be groaning to later.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com

Registered User ericzimmerman34's Avatar
    ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    squats. I have my clients run on the treadmill and every minute or so step on the sides (spinning part between their feet) and do 10 to 15 squats then jump back on and start running again. Its killer!
    Obssession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication.

If your not nervous before going to the gym your probably not working out hard enough (my new favorite quote)

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science
    Cooper Functional Trainer Cert.
    NASM CES in progress

WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) WoofieNugget has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I do this:

PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50) PeteratCastle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WoofieNugget View Post
    I do this:

Yeah, pretty much this.
    High quality Home Personal Training in Edinburgh, UK.

www.castlepersonaltraining.com

Look us up on ******** "Castlepersonaltraining" or just look me up "Peteratcastle"

Alvinray has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wickedmuscle View Post
    Hi there i just started working as a pt last week and my first few clients (which were actually the gyms clients not my own) strictly wanted to lose weight and one did not want to lift weights. So i prescribed them a training circuit on 4-5 diff cardio machines alternating from each one every 5mins. If they were actually doing private sessions with me to get them to lose weight i would have them doing bootcamp and bodyweight exercises with me instead of putting them on machines as i believe thats the fastest way to lose weight. Now because they are beginners and doing this own their own, do you think i went about this the right way? any critisicm would be greatly appreciated... thanks
    Well, My trainer asked me to do treadmill, cycling and cardio for atleast a weak before moving on to do crunches and all.

itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) itasquo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You are the trainer so it is up to you and not to them what they need to do in order to reach their goal the fastest way.
    And ask yourself this questions? - what is the method behind this routine? Why are they going to loose weight? - Can i keep track of it? Would i do this for myself?

"The only thing that should be changing from week to week is the load on the bar or the reps with the same load you used last time. If you're doing it right, these should be increasing. Everything else stays the same; the movements and the order you did them in, the sets and the rest periods in between sets. You don't add in new stuff.

This is the only way you can fairly evaluate your progress and see if you're headed in the right direction. It might sound tedious to keep doing the same movements every week and the appeal of "mixing it up" can seem strong.

However, the tediousness will soon be replaced by the much stronger joy you get from seeing your lifts go up on a weekly basis. Don't fall for "muscle confusion" bull****. The only ones confused are the people who keep talking about such nonsense. "
    www.4u-fitness.com
    www.********.com/4ufitness

ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ChessGuy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That's a good question and one which I fully expect to be asked by clients time and time again. First of all, heavy weight training alone can't approach pure cardio as a method for losing fat. The time under load, isn't enough...

However, weight training or resistance training combined with cardio would be the best choice.

For a beginner, I would choose 4-5 compound exercises for the large muscles (2-3 sets)combined with 15 min before and 15 min after cardio. Resistance training is imperative in order to minimize muscle loss during dieting.

After the client sees good results with the resistance training, maybe introduce the squat with free weights, if he hasn't done them before.

Diet is at least 80% of losing fat. Have the customer, if nothing else, stay off refined carbs and saturated fat.

My philosophy, borne out of training hundreds of US troops, is to make it fun and challenging and realistic.

No charge, guys.

pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pottersbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ericzimmerman34 View Post
    squats. I have my clients run on the treadmill and every minute or so step on the sides (spinning part between their feet) and do 10 to 15 squats then jump back on and start running again. Its killer!
    and people actually pay you for that?

arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) arian11 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    That's a good question and one which I fully expect to be asked by clients time and time again. First of all, heavy weight training alone can't approach pure cardio as a method for losing fat. The time under load, isn't enough...

However, weight training or resistance training combined with cardio would be the best choice.

For a beginner, I would choose 4-5 compound exercises for the large muscles (2-3 sets)combined with 15 min before and 15 min after cardio. Resistance training is imperative in order to minimize muscle loss during dieting.

After the client sees good results with the resistance training, maybe introduce the squat with free weights, if he hasn't done them before.

Diet is at least 80% of losing fat. Have the customer, if nothing else, stay off refined carbs and saturated fat.

My philosophy, borne out of training hundreds of US troops, is to make it fun and challenging and realistic.

No charge, guys.
    So you are saying a person should implement a sound program of nutrition, resistance training, and cardio? Brilliant! lol. I'll find a cool phrase to patent for that like the Triangle of Fitness! One must properly implement all 3 points of the Triangle of Fitness to achieve fitness awesomeness.
    1372 @ 205
    USAPL Senior International Coach & IPF Cat II Referee
    Squats & Science Head Coach
    http://squatsandscience.com/sscoaching/

Boynton Barbell Center:
    http://boyntonbarbellcenter.com/

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ariandbz

theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) theoriginal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by itasquo View Post
    And ask yourself this questions? - what is the method behind this routine? Why are they going to loose weight? - Can i keep track of it? Would i do this for myself?
    ^^This! If you can't explain to them *why* you're having them do a certain routine and *why* it's going to benefit them, then you might as well be doing a template routine torn out of a magazine. There's got to be a method to the madness.

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Professional integrity comes to my mind when I see/hear of stories like this. If a client wants to "just lose weight", it doesn't hurt us to ask why. If the person has to compete in a weight class for instance, then it is good to know that sort of thing. Also like one of the previous guys said, you should probably ask them why they can't lift weights. As fitness trainers it is our job to help people achieve their goals through exercise. I would imagine your client will not be satisfied with results or will stay close to the shape they are currently in. Other potential clients will probably see this and decide that you are not very good as a trainer.

I think you should start beginners off by making sure they are comfortable with exercise and build their consistency.
    Last edited by Endevorforever; 02-23-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Registered User ericzimmerman34's Avatar
    ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericzimmerman34 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I recommend a basic full body workout 3 times a week targeting the 8 major muscle groups, 1-2 exercises per muscle group using compound lifts (always 2 for core and legs), with 2-3 sets of 8-12. Then I have them doing cardio 3-4 times a week as well and if they do it on strength training days they do it after weights. This is just my simple break down. The exercises I use vary on the client and theres always leaway on the layout of course.
    Obssession is a word lazy people use to describe dedication.

If your not nervous before going to the gym your probably not working out hard enough (my new favorite quote)

B.S. in Exercise and Sports Science
    Cooper Functional Trainer Cert.
    NASM CES in progress

bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigballin6161 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Full body workouts 8-20 reps with a 3-4 second eccentric. 3-4 sets short rest breaks. A1 A2 format for 8 exercises. Depending on conditioning anywhere from 20-90 seconds break between exercises. Goal is to strive for shorter rest breaks based on conditioning levels...Dont do cardio...intervals are good.