iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need some help with my back/lats

Good morning motivationalizers!

I'm feeling kinda in the dumps today, partially because I'm battling this bug that everyone in town seems to have had in the last month, and partially because I seem to struggle with my mind/muscle connection when working my mid/upper back (lats specifically). Lower back doesn't really seem to be an issue as I can feel it fine with Deadlifts and/or weighted hyperextensions, but rarely do I feel much of anything whilst or after doing the rest of my back.

I try to mix it up with Lat pulldowns, cable rows, bent over bar or dumbbell rows, with the occasional hammer strength iso row machine set mixed in. I don't normally do all of these on back/bicep day, but try to mix in about 4 of these per back day.

Today was Deadlift supersetted with bent over barbell row, followed by wide grip lat pulldowns, supersetted with wide grip cable rows.

The only day I REALLY remember feeling anything in my lats was maybe about 6-8 weeks back, I was lifting with my ego and went pretty heavy. My form was likely awful if I recall correctly, but I did some pretty heavy pulldowns. I've tried to use similar weight but focus on form since, and haven't been able to bang out the reps or get that pump in my back.

I know that pullups / chinups are supposed to be dynamite for back, but my strength to weight ratio just isn't there yet for me to do pullups effectively. Occasionally I'll use the assisted pullup machine, but it feels like I'm cheating too much, and don't particularly enjoy it.

Please help, back and bicep day is quickly becoming my least favorite day of the week!

paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) paulzee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Get a pullup bar and do negative pullups / chinups which will help you build strength to do them, started out the same couldn't do more then 1-2 but did set of long controlled negatives and worked like a charm.

iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iamgrimm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by paulzee View Post
    Get a pullup bar and do negative pullups / chinups which will help you build strength to do them, started out the same couldn't do more then 1-2 but did set of long controlled negatives and worked like a charm.
    I'll give it a shot, it certainly cannot hurt at this point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Swrice06 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wide grip pull ups are important for back growth, and the pump is good I do them as a warm-up before either one of my 2 back days, and also will do as a burn out once in awhile as well. They do seem to take awhile to be able to do, I had same problem I would go into other back exercises and be "like look at all the weight I can do" then go and can't do a pull up! It is an exercise that really incorporates all the muscles at one time, thats why it is so great. Negatives is a great technique to help. Also, do you move up the weight in your other back exercises, or you stay around the same, (kind of a dumb question but I have seen it before people never move up). I would try throwin in an extra warm up set in before doing 3 working sets too.
    Steven

"Blood, Sweat and Respect. First two you give. Last one you Earn!" - The Rock

www.NuLifeSupplements.com

Follow Me on My Journey- http://thenulifejourney.wordpress.com/

MasDeisle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this helps me when I lose a mind-muscle connection; use a relatively light weight and slowly work through the motion a little, focus on actually using the muscle you want to work to pull the weight instead of the accessory muscles. Contract that muscle hard throughout the entire movement and squeeze tight at the end. Do this repeatedly so you can remember how it feels to work that muscle, then add weight and do your working sets exactly how you did the "practice" ones. Alot of times we can get caught up in chasing the weight game, and whether we realize it or not we're cheating and not working the muscle properly.

BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10) BBofDulok is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try to build a better mind muscle connection. Try picking up a barbell, shoulder width double overhand grip, and rowing to your waist. Rowing to your waist helps activate the lats. Also bend over about a 45 degree angle. Dorian Yates suggested doing this because it puts the lats in a mechanically better position, and pulling to your waist helps activate them even more.

Try building up your weight by at least 50-80lbs with this exercise and I guarantee you will see your lats improve. Good luck bro
    Subscribe to the Bearded Beast of Dulok kids

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'm finishing up a de-load week before picking up the intensity and weight next week, and I really tried to focus on the stretch and squeeze, especially on back/bicep day. Even though I was doing 50-60% of my usual weight, I think that really putting an emphasis on the movement, and forcing those squeezes helped. I can actually 'feel' my back the day after which doesnt usually happen.

I also mounted a pull up bar in the basement. Going to add in a few negative pullups every couple of days to add extra stimulation without obliteration. I really appreciate the help and advice. If I can maintain the form and technique at more typical weights, I might just turn back day into a favorite!

I really do like finding weaknesses, crushing them, and turning them into strengths. Again thank you for the help.