FinalGambit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Boosting the Bench Press

Hey guys,

Just to start, I'll mention that I have been actively working out on a proper routine for about 5 months. I was 200 lbs 2 years ago, lost much of the weight by running and dieting and dropped down to 155, and am now at approximately 160-165.

I'm 6' 3 - I know I'm pretty light but I enjoy being lean. I watch my weight carefully. I want to clean bulk over a good period of time up through to 180, building purely lean mass.

Also note that my arms are 6' 9" long (no, seriously. Measured.). Super long. My best bench was below 95 when I started, and I have been seeing some steady gains but I want to know what I can do to boost the gains if possible. I always bench with the bar going down to my chest.

My current lifts (Max):
    Squat: 205 - These are ass to ground, feet shoulder width or VERY slightly further.
    DL = 300
    Bench = 140
    OHP = Haven't tried...put up 110 without too much effort though.

I'm currently on a variation of stronglifts where I split chest/triceps, back/biceps and legs/shoulders on a 3-4 workout a week schedule.

My chest/tricep day has me flat benching 5x5 (at 120 lbs), incline benching (with dumbbells) supersetting with pushups, doing pushdowns supersetted with pushups, and then cable crossovers.

Anything I could be doing to boost the bench?
    Last edited by FinalGambit; 01-09-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: squat details

Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000) Tewsey is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by FinalGambit View Post
    Hey guys,

Just to start, I'll mention that I have been actively working out on a proper routine for about 5 months. I was 200 lbs 2 years ago, lost much of the weight by running and dieting and dropped down to 155, and am now at approximately 160-165.

I'm 6' 3 - I know I'm pretty light but I enjoy being lean. I watch my weight carefully. I want to clean bulk over a good period of time up through to 180, building purely lean mass.

Also note that my arms are 6' 9" long (no, seriously. Measured.). Super long. My best bench was below 95 when I started, and I have been seeing some steady gains but I want to know what I can do to boost the gains if possible. I always bench with the bar going down to my chest.

My current lifts (Max):
    Squat: 205
    DL = 300
    Bench = 140
    OHP = Haven't tried...put up 110 without too much effort though.

I'm currently on a variation of stronglifts where I split chest/triceps, back/biceps and legs/shoulders on a 3-4 workout a week schedule.

My chest/tricep day has me flat benching 5x5 (at 120 lbs), incline benching (with dumbbells) supersetting with pushups, doing pushdowns supersetted with pushups, and then cable crossovers.

Anything I could be doing to boost the bench?
    Doing push ups and dumbbell presses should help.

I like to go until failure when bench pressing (maxing). Even afterwards, I'll go 10 pounds lighter and keep benching the same way, and so on. I just started working out last December and I couldn't even bench 80 pounds. I know it's not a lot, but I'm now able to bench 115 pounds with ease. I guess it just takes time and dedication. Good luck
    Last edited by Tewsey; 01-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Originally Posted by Tewsey View Post
    Doing push ups and dumbbell presses should help.
    ...so, what I'm doing right now?
    I'm supersetting my inclines + pushdowns with pushups, as well as 100 pushups almost every off-day evening.

sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Boost the bench? Well, bench more. Your routine has you benching more than 1x a week right? That should be fine.

Another thing. If your arms are really that long, make sure youve got a good lower back arch, and your shoulder blades are tight. You want to decrease that distance the bar has to travel as much as you can.
    Bench: 235
    Squat: 365
    Deadlift: 425

Log V2.0: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150736853

Originally Posted by sSmitty93 View Post
    Boost the bench? Well, bench more. Your routine has you benching more than 1x a week right? That should be fine.

Another thing. If your arms are really that long, make sure youve got a good lower back arch, and your shoulder blades are tight. You want to decrease that distance the bar has to travel as much as you can.
    I've fixed up my form a LOT. I saw gains from pinning back my shoulder blades with a good arch. Still, the bar has to move FAR...my ROM causes the barbell to go above the tops of the J-hooks in my college's gym even with my shoulders pinned back...

Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50) Medinaaaa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bench more, do it like 3x's a week.
    •••Long Live Skilzzy Krew•••
    ---Hispanic Crew Member---

sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sSmitty93 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FinalGambit View Post
    I've fixed up my form a LOT. I saw gains from pinning back my shoulder blades with a good arch. Still, the bar has to move FAR...my ROM causes the barbell to go above the tops of the J-hooks in my college's gym even with my shoulders pinned back...
    As long as your form is good, youre benching with decent frequency (which you are) and youre eating enough your bench will increase.
    Bench: 235
    Squat: 365
    Deadlift: 425

Log V2.0: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150736853

Registered backloader LiftingSteve93's Avatar
    LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LiftingSteve93 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You're at the stage where you need to bench more. I'm 6'3 and have long arms too.
    My 400 incline press at 19 years old:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=VN5bT0AVDCw

lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) lukebaumy94 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Gain weight.

/thread