Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    They went through the front of my neck, I'll try to throw up a picture tomorrow or PM me your email address and I will send one directly. My surgeon talked about this before the operation - he said they put a kind of balloon in your throat as part of the anesthesia, but he has the anasthesiologist (sp?) partially deflate it during surgery. He said in his lifetime (he is 52) he had 3 cases of hoarse voices following this surgery and all 3 were before he started doing the deflation bit. I had no hoarseness (voice completely normal) and I did have some soreness swallowing for the first 3 days. The surgeon said I would probably be able to come home the same day as the surgery but when I woke up my wife told me that we had to stay overnight because my neck was too muscular - too much tissue in it - and would swell up more than normal. Sure enough, about 7 hours after surgery I had a few uncomfortable hours with my neck swollen and difficulty swallowing and had to sit upright to make sure I could breathe well. I didn't want morphine shots and I didn't feel like I could swallow the pain pill (norco) so they gave me a liquid version of norco that afternoon. No big deal though, I am amazed that I am walking around and feeling fine only 6 days after surgery now.

rpay10324 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    good to hear Chris...i am seeing my general Dr in 2 weeks (couldn't get in until then) and hopefully get a referral to a good nuro...already looking around for a good one...some really talented spine surgeons in chicago, just not sure they will take me or insurance will be accepted with the really good ones.

rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Had surgery yesterday afternoon....so far my biggest complaint would be the sore throat you get from them pulling/pushing the eso****us and throat stuff to the side. If you've ever been hit in the throat, it feels like you've been punched! Swallowing is a bit difficult and there's some pain.

I've got a titanium plate and 4 screws holding everything in place...the doctor came in to the recovery room after I woke up and tested my tricep strength by having me place my palm on my chest and then pushing him away as he gave resistance....he was amazed that my strength was BACK already! He did this same test during my initial consultation and I could hardly push at all! Now, just a couple hours post surgery, in the recovery bed, I almost knocked him over!! So that really made me happy!! I can also flex both my pecs, prior to surgery when I tried this, my left pec wouldn't flex, now it does!

As far as recovery stuff, I'm wearing a soft neck collar when out of the house, I'm encouraged to walk walk walk. I was able to go home the same day as the surgery, but it was a long day at the hospital, almost 13 hours. The doctor told me I could sleep normally in my bed, but I felt more comfortable in my big recliner...not much for sleep, hence why I'm up at O'Dark-Thirty!

I'll keep updating!

AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AbleBonus is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great news, glad it went well! I've been going to the gym daily, walking 45 minutes on the treadmill and a few isolation exercises with lighter weight (triceps extensions while laying on the floor, biceps curls on a bench, wrist curls) and planks and legs with seated machines and leg press. So far no problems or pain. Sleeping is still a little uncomfortable. My triceps is not stronger yet, I have a lot of atrophy, but I can flex and it is very sore after the workouts so I take that as a good sign.

rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rowe513 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AbleBonus View Post
    Great news, glad it went well! I've been going to the gym daily, walking 45 minutes on the treadmill and a few isolation exercises with lighter weight (triceps extensions while laying on the floor, biceps curls on a bench, wrist curls) and planks and legs with seated machines and leg press. So far no problems or pain. Sleeping is still a little uncomfortable. My triceps is not stronger yet, I have a lot of atrophy, but I can flex and it is very sore after the workouts so I take that as a good sign.
    Good to hear Able! How much time passed between your injury date and your surgery date? I was right at 4 months, so I have noticeable atrophy, even though I worked out....during my initial consultation, the doc measured both my arms and my left one was considerably smaller due to the atrophy. I'm really excited to get the green light to start building it back!

I know I'm ready for this throat pain to go away!! Keep me posted Able and I'll do the same!

guys i have been thinking about both of you..Rowe, im so glad to hear your already recovering!! what i am most fearful of is that i waited too long...im afraid the nerve damage might not come back even with surgery...i can flex my left pec, but i have really no left triceps...but it does get sore when i train it...my left arm is getting weaker, finger tips are tingling too at times.. so i need to have it looked at ...seeing my DR in 10 days...keep me updated on your progress guys!!!

Originally Posted by rpay10324 View Post
    guys i have been thinking about both of you..Rowe, im so glad to hear your already recovering!! what i am most fearful of is that i waited too long...im afraid the nerve damage might not come back even with surgery...i can flex my left pec, but i have really no left triceps...but it does get sore when i train it...my left arm is getting weaker, finger tips are tingling too at times.. so i need to have it looked at ...seeing my DR in 10 days...keep me updated on your progress guys!!!
    I was worried I waited to long too rpay...I'm very glad I went, I'm sure you will be as well.

Mine was 7 weeks from symptoms to surgery. Doc said it would take months to get full strength back, but he expected a full recovery.

That throat soreness will be a distant memory in a few days!

Originally Posted by rowe513 View Post
    I was worried I waited to long too rpay...I'm very glad I went, I'm sure you will be as well.
    my name is Rob glad you guys are around for support and already went through it

my name is Rob glad you guys are around for support and already went through it
    Nice to meet you Rob....Bill here....I was certainly nervous about having the surgery...but I am glad I had it. This injury was definitely affecting my way of life. I've been weight training for 20+ years, played college football, competitive powerlifting and strongman....I wasn't even able to bench 135 because of this injury! That really had me depressed! I just hope to be able to hit 405 for a few reps again....only time will tell.

If something is adversely affecting your quality of life....fix it! Life is short enough already...have to make the most of it and enjoy

yea Bill i agree life is short.. how are you feeling? throat still sore? any problems talking?

yea Bill i agree life is short.. how are you feeling? throat still sore? any problems talking?
    Throat is a lot better today...not 100% but definitely a lot better. Voice was a little hoarse but not bad...going back to work tomorrow, so I'm feeling pretty good overall. Was able to get some decent sleep last night, that helped. Still have some swelling in my neck throat area near the incision...that's normal from what I've been told...the neck brace sucks! Wearing the brace seems to make my neck more sore! So I've only been wearing it when I go for walks or riding, driving in the truck.

So far so good

Daily Update...

Four days post surgery. Last night I slept great! NO PAIN medication since Wednesday night and I am at work doing desk duty till I get released to get back to normal. Throat is not an issue any longer, eating and drinking normally, voice is a little hoarse yet but nothing to complain about.

Went to the gym today, nothing crazy or stupid, just did some light arm extentions on the cables. It was nice to feel the "burn" again! I also did some really light Hammer Strength Chest excercises. It was a wonderful feeling to feel the "burn" in my left pec again as well! I actually flexed it and it cramped up! It hasn't done that since October!! So I am really pleased. I also walked on the treadmill for about 30 minutes then called it. All in all I am feeling great considering I just had surgery Monday afternoon!! Rob, if your doctor recommends surgery to fix your problem, don't worry about it....if he's as good as my Doc, you shouldn't have any issues at all and will be glad you did it so you can resume a normal happy lifting life again!

Bill, do you have to wear the neck brace when in the gym?

Bill, do you have to wear the neck brace when in the gym?
    I suppose the doc would want me to....but from my own personal experience with that stupid thing it causes much more discomfort with it on than without! I have noticed that my traps and neck muscles get really sore when wearing that thing. That's why I've only been wearing it when in a car (god forbid an accident should occur) or long outside walks. My neck feels great, I had another great nights sleep, again no pain medication needed!

cool i also should have added this question...whats your physical therapy schedule and when does it start? im assuming your going to have it eventually

cool i also should have added this question...whats your physical therapy schedule and when does it start? im assuming your going to have it eventually
    The Doc said I didn't have to do PT unless I requested to do it....So far, I feel great and dont think I will partake in any PT other than my normal gym activities.

1 Week Post Surgery Update

NO PAIN!!

I have been going to the gym for the last 4 days and doing light PT for my left tricep and left peck. Tricep work is cable pressdowns for high reps...for the first time in months my tricep actually feels pumped and sore. The muscle and nerves are awakening after a few months of sleep!! It feels great and really has me motivated. I also walk on the treadmill at a brisk pace for 30 minutes to get all that good oxygenated blood to the spine and new hardware so it heals fast.

Sounds great Bill! 2 1/2 weeks for me. I've been doing biceps curls, lateral arm raises, lying triceps extensions with dumbbells, and dumbbell flys. Plus leg presses/calf raises/hamstring curls and 45 minutes daily on treadmill the past week, plus planks. Today I started benching, I did 105x8. (I can do that with my right side alone but that is all I could do with left arm as is.) Also added in dumbbell rows and crunches. I feel like the triceps and chest are improving and now that I have a baseline I'll know for sure on a weekly basis.

No plans for PT here either. I go in for xrays and 1 month checkup the week of Mar 4th.

Chris, are you getting any tricep feeling back yet? i see my general Dr on Monday

Rob, everything feels normal, just a matter of strength now I hope. Good luck with the doctor!

Well went to see my general DR today...got the referral for my pick of 4 neurosurgeons. After looking at my old MRI from over a year ago it didn't take long. i have herniations @ C2-3..C5-6..and C7-T1. With spurs also @ C5-6 and C7-T-1. Can't wait to see what the Neuro says....STAY TUNED

Well went to see my general DR today...got the referral for my pick of 4 neurosurgeons. After looking at my old MRI from over a year ago it didn't take long. i have herniations @ C2-3..C5-6..and C7-T1. With spurs also @ C5-6 and C7-T-1. Can't wait to see what the Neuro says....STAY TUNED
    DAMN! Well I can tell you that you will be going for another MRI....when I saw my surgeon my MRI was only 1.5 months old and he wanted another one just to make sure it wasn't worse or something had changed....being in Chicago you should have some good doctors up there. I'm in St. Louis and saw Dr Daniel Riew...considered one of the best in the nation apparently....so I feel lucky for that.

Good luck bro, keep us posted

i have an appt on tuesday with the nuero so im ready to get it going

did either of you guys get a second opinion? or you just went with the first guy and felt comfortable? the DR i am seeing is a spine surgeon, but i dont think the cervical spine is a specialty

did either of you guys get a second opinion? or you just went with the first guy and felt comfortable? the DR i am seeing is a spine surgeon, but i dont think the cervical spine is a specialty
    Dr Riew is a specialist in the cervical spine....he was the only Doc I visited with...other than the friend of mine who is also a trauma surgeon and he's the one that recommended Dr Riew.

My wife's a doc, she asked around and I went straight to the best guy in town for this. Nothing wrong with a 2nd opinion though. Ideally you want someone that does lots of these on a regular basis.

I sent you a PM Ray.

My wife's a doc, she asked around and I went straight to the best guy in town for this. Nothing wrong with a 2nd opinion though. Ideally you want someone that does lots of these on a regular basis.
    Able...How you doing?? How goes the recovery? Haven't heard an update from ya...hope things are well

I'm still hitting the gym 4-5 times a week, getting back to normal. Bench is improving, 135x3 Tues, 135x5 Friday. Other than left tricep/pec most other exercises are full strength. Started machine rows and pull downs and a bunch of other exercises with no problems so far. 1 month x-ray next week, will update after I see the doc Wed.

How about you? Strength returning? Are you able to do pressing exercises or triceps extensions?

I'm still hitting the gym 4-5 times a week, getting back to normal. Bench is improving, 135x3 Tues, 135x5 Friday. Other than left tricep/pec most other exercises are full strength. Started machine rows and pull downs and a bunch of other exercises with no problems so far. 1 month x-ray next week, will update after I see the doc Wed.

How about you? Strength returning? Are you able to do pressing exercises or triceps extensions?
    Tomorrow will be 3 weeks post surgery...I have to remind myself that I did have surgery 3 weeks ago cuz I find myself wanting to really push myself. I have been doing tricep extentions virually every time I hit the gym. It is nice to feel the burn again and actually be sore. I was doing some really light Hammer Strength chest machine stuff and can feel the burn again in my left pec.

I went to the gym today and for the first time I tried doing some regular bench pressing. I stayed at 135 lbs but did 7 sets of 30 reps. It felt really good! I could have hit 225, but again, I had to remind myself that I'm only 3 weeks post surgery. It still sucks, cuz I was lifting with my buddy. He and I have been training together for 11 years now and have always pushed each other pretty hard. He's been very fortunate and hasn't been injured, EVER! Anyway, it sucks to stand there and watch him hit 405 for 10 and then 455 for 5, knowing I was doing that just in October. Now I'm stuck repping 135....I can't wait to get the green light to lift hard again so I can just flat out GO!

It's been challenging, mainly mentally challenging to stay positive. Anytime I start to feel like throwing in the towel, I hit youtube and watch some old Arnold clips or Derek Poundstone vids. Usually brings me out of my funk.