blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

The Common Carb?

Hey all,

I have a quick question. I am 165lb and currently trying to pack on some size. I have a diet that is in check and a workout routine that is working really well for me. The only question I have is how many carbs should i be intaking?

I am following the Old School Back loading principles from the Pumping Iron days. Low carbs throughout the day. And then after workout 90% of my carbs for the day. But I am not hitting anywhere near the number of carbs that I see others hitting on a bulk. On my Heaviest Carb day I will hit close to 150-200.

Also on my off day how many carbs should I intake? And to that Effect... without taking in many carbs i am struggling to reach a caloric surplus of around 2600-2700 calories... Id be sitting at like 400 g protein trying to avoid carbs...

Basically what are your thoughts on Carbs while bulking? Alot all the time? or dispersed and controlled?

-Thanks for the reads and any advice!
    Take Ownership
    Mind over Matter for the win

Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Following meal timing protocols is fine if you can make then fit your lifestyle and provide the benefits your seeking. In most cases they are not worth the hassle in my opinion. Just eat your carbs throughout the day, you will likley see no measurable benefit to backloading, and will gain nothing if it is causing you to not be in a surplus.

benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by blackhawks87 View Post
    Hey all,

I have a quick question. I am 165lb and currently trying to pack on some size. I have a diet that is in check and a workout routine that is working really well for me. The only question I have is how many carbs should i be intaking?

I am following the Old School Back loading principles from the Pumping Iron days. Low carbs throughout the day. And then after workout 90% of my carbs for the day. But I am not hitting anywhere near the number of carbs that I see others hitting on a bulk. On my Heaviest Carb day I will hit close to 150-200.

Also on my off day how many carbs should I intake? And to that Effect... without taking in many carbs i am struggling to reach a caloric surplus of around 2600-2700 calories... Id be sitting at like 400 g protein trying to avoid carbs...

Basically what are your thoughts on Carbs while bulking? Alot all the time? or dispersed and controlled?

-Thanks for the reads and any advice!
    Stickies have what you need, but just so you know already, calculate your protein (1g/lb of lean body mass) and fat (.4-.5g/lb of LBM) needs first then fill in the rest with whatever with a bias towards carbs. Excess protein becomes glucose through gluconeogenesis in the liver and ketonic diets aren't proven to work. Timing doesn't matter, eat when you're hungry/find it convenient. Enjoy your bulk!
    Always learning.

(For 5 reps)
    Squat - 110kg
    Deadlift- 115kg
    Bench Press - 65kg
    Overhead Press - 47.5kg

Doing Starting Strength by JasonDB/IceCreamFitness, check out my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148385953

Check out my youtube page too: youtube.com/thebofitness

blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blackhawks87 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by benjobb View Post
    Stickies have what you need, but just so you know already, calculate your protein (1g/lb of lean body mass) and fat (.4-.5g/lb of LBM) needs first then fill in the rest with whatever with a bias towards carbs. Excess protein becomes glucose through gluconeogenesis in the liver and ketonic diets aren't proven to work. Timing doesn't matter, eat when you're hungry/find it convenient. Enjoy your bulk!
    I appreciate the advice.. so in your opinion do carbs play a huge role on a bulk or is it mainly the protein?
    Take Ownership
    Mind over Matter for the win

Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I appreciate the advice.. so in your opinion do carbs play a huge role on a bulk or is it mainly the protein?
    I'm not benjobb, but the way I understand it is that carbs are your body's preferred source of energy, so more carbs = more immediate energy, which leads to recovering faster and being able to lift more. Of course you need sufficient protein to build muscle. You don't need any more protein after a certain amount so people just add more fat and carbs for energy.

benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Falkirk39 View Post
    I'm not benjobb, but the way I understand it is that carbs are your body's preferred source of energy, so more carbs = more immediate energy, which leads to recovering faster and being able to lift more. Of course you need sufficient protein to build muscle. You don't need any more protein after a certain amount so people just add more fat and carbs for energy.
    Just about right, but fats aren't for energy, they actually suck at providing energy lol. More for basic health.
    Always learning.

(For 5 reps)
    Squat - 110kg
    Deadlift- 115kg
    Bench Press - 65kg
    Overhead Press - 47.5kg

Doing Starting Strength by JasonDB/IceCreamFitness, check out my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148385953

Check out my youtube page too: youtube.com/thebofitness

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ketonic diets aren't proven to work.
    Actually, they're "proven to work" in regard to weight loss and reductions in adiposity, but there's simply limited evidence of superior results compared to isocaloric diets of more traditional composition for those who are healthy.

That said, unique benefits of ketogenic diets have been demonstrated for those with metabolic syndrom and with drug resistant epilepsy.

Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Falkirk39 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just about right, but fats aren't for energy, they actually suck at providing energy lol. More for basic health.
    But if the body needs more energy than what is given by carbs, wont it use the fat for energy? Or is protein used over fat in that regard?

Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000) Dujin77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Absolutely, carbs provide energy and are protein sparing. Your body is only going to use a certain amount of protein for tissue growth and repair, so beyond a certain point it becomes an exercise in futility to consume protein for this reason. Most of the time you are better off filling those calories with carbs both in terms of performance and budget.