Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chest workout

raza12345 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Chest workout

Hi. can you tell me if you can workout your entire chest in a single workout? i mean can you workout all three parts of your chest in a single workout e.g upper, middle and lower chest? For example;

*Inclie bench press - 3 sets
    *Incline bench flys - 3 sets
    *Flat bench press - 3 sets
    *Flat bench flys - 3 sets
    *decline bench press - 3 sets
    *decline bench flys - 3 sets

...or is it too much?

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes. If your going to work out your chest, you work out ALL your chest.

Think of doing some cable cross overs .
    USMC.
    "If there’s no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm."

DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DieselMan526 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My chest days usually go like this.

Incline DB Press 5x5
    Decline BB Press 3x8
    Flat DB Fly 3x8
    Incline DB Fly 3x8

Works my entire chest. If you can't tell, I like DB exercises for chest.
    WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The chest is really just comprised of upper and lower. Incline exercises work the upper and flat and decline exercises work the lower.

You don't really need to make sure to do flat and decline variations of each exercise. I'd suggest having a 1:1 ratio of Incline to flat/decline work.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Arman6 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by raza12345 View Post
    Hi. can you tell me if you can workout your entire chest in a single workout? i mean can you workout all three parts of your chest in a single workout e.g upper, middle and lower chest? For example;

...or is it too much?
    If i were you i'd take out decline bench and decline flys and just do dips.

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by raza12345 View Post

...or is it too much?
    I'd suggest you read my chest development thread. Link is in my signature. Anyway, if you're too lazy to do that, let me tell you that the chest consists of sternal and clavicular head.

The workout you've listed is, especially for beginners and naturals, way too much. To be honest, for beginners, 6 sets should be sufficient. The thing is, though, I train every body part three times a week, and I generally advocate high-frequency training for naturals and bodybuilders.

Try doing this routine 3 times a week:

3x decline bench press
    3x incline bench press

If you don't think there's enough volume, you could add in 3 sets of incline cable flyes. If you dislike decline bench press, you could substitute it for flat.

mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    you should always train the different chest muscles on different days to allow each muscle to work to its maximum. i would recomend.
    Monday-upper chest
    Tuesday-middle chest
    Wednesday-lower chest
    Thursday-upper
    Friday-middle
    Saturday-lower
    Sunday rest and let all those muslces grow together. repeat this cycle for 12-16 weeks

alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) alexanderberg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
    you should always train the different chest muscles on different days to allow each muscle to work to its maximum. i would recomend.
    Monday-upper chest
    Tuesday-middle chest
    Wednesday-lower chest
    Thursday-upper
    Friday-middle
    Saturday-lower
    Sunday rest and let all those muslces grow together. repeat this cycle for 12-16 weeks
    Sorry, but that is horrible advice.

mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) mastdog is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    no way brah thats a 12 week to massive pecs routine. they will be putting this up on the workouts section any day now with a picture of my man breasts on display to the world

Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Zzechmann33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Monday-upper chest
    Tuesday-middle chest
    Wednesday-lower chest
    Thursday-upper
    Friday-middle
    Saturday-lower
    *sigh* horrible...
    *IIFYM*

Starting weight 12/1/11 - 240lbs

OldskoolSteve has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Bros I need to grow my pecs to the max. Before summer.
    It's a serious problem to me even get a pump to my chest! I got wide back, big quads but my chest is so weak and small. Any tips how often should I train?

I Am Teh Lolrus stealth_swimmer's Avatar
    stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stealth_swimmer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Maybe drop a decline movement and do cable crossovers, imo.

Or alternate it with a decline or flat movement. 18 sets for chest seems like a bit much to me, but if your recovery can handle it, then go for it.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you should always train the different chest muscles on different days to allow each muscle to work to its maximum. I would recomend.
    Monday-upper chest
    tuesday-middle chest
    wednesday-lower chest
    thursday-upper
    friday-middle
    saturday-lower
    sunday rest and let all those muslces grow together. Repeat this cycle for 12-16 weeks
    in!

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    of course you can!! i would just take out the decline flyes big man. honestly i only do decline every other week. for most guys the bottom portion of the chest develops alot easier and faster than the upper. and having a big upper in my opinion is more important because that is what makes the chest look big. if you're lower chest is way too developed, then your chest has that droopy look that i see a lot nowadays and thats not very aesthetic looking whatsoever. so focus more on inclines and flats in my opinion and you'll see your chest grow.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

Registered User akmusclehamster's Avatar
    akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100)
    Monday-upper chest
    Tuesday-middle chest
    Wednesday-lower chest
    Thursday-upper
    Friday-middle
    Saturday-lower
    This routine also gives you the bonus of Tendonitis!!!
    Compound Weights, Bodyweight Exercises and Sprinting

saying doing 3 sets of incline and 3 sets of decline 3 times a week is even worse advice because you were being serious where as I was joking.

Funny you should say that akmusclehamster I only train chest once a week sometimes 2 at a push and I have recently got tendonitis from going too heavy on a back excercies and its totally f=-$%ed me over. 5 weeks later still been unable to do more than a set of bicep curls at 30% of the usual weight i use without it flaring up and I darent even risk training back again

Registered User akmusclehamster's Avatar
    akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100) akmusclehamster is not very well liked. (-100)
    Funny you should say that akmusclehamster I only train chest once a week sometimes 2 at a push and I have recently got tendonitis from going too heavy on a back excercies and its totally f=-$%ed me over. 5 weeks later still been unable to do more than a set of bicep curls at 30% of the usual weight i use without it flaring up and I darent even risk training back again
    ???
    thats probably an injury
    tendonitis normally will stop if you take it easy for a while
    Compound Weights, Bodyweight Exercises and Sprinting

Originally Posted by akmusclehamster View Post
    ???
    thats probably an injury
    tendonitis normally will stop if you take it easy for a while
    Just going off what doctor told me, i was in a situation where i couldnt straighten my arms at all for like 4 days and was in constant pain, did a right number on me

saying doing 3 sets of incline and 3 sets of decline 3 times a week is even worse advice because you were being serious where as I was joking.

Why is doing 3 sets of incline and 3 sets of decline 3 times a week bad? Aware me, bro.

Originally Posted by alexanderberg View Post
    Why is doing 3 sets of incline and 3 sets of decline 3 times a week bad? Aware me, bro.
    Only speaking from experience but I wouldnt feel like id worked my chest at all after 3 sets of incline and 3 sets of decline. You would probably get newbie strength gains doign that 3 times a week but for better chest development I wouldnt say thats a good idea at all.
    I dont rate decline whatsoever.
    Flat bench should always be incorporated to a chest workout
    No isolation movement?
    I think you should fully work chest once maybe just maybe twice a week.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I dont rate decline whatsoever.
    Flat bench should always be incorporated to a chest workout
    Why? They both target the exact same area.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Agreed they work the same area but I think flat is far more affective

SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Monday-upper chest
    Tuesday-middle chest
    Wednesday-lower chest
    Thursday-upper
    Friday-middle
    Saturday-lower
    meth, not even once?

Agreed they work the same area but I think flat is far more affective
    and yet there are many others who think the opposite. So why would it be wrong for them to exclude flat bench and include decline into their workout?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

Originally Posted by SixFootSniper View Post
    meth, not even once?
    What?

SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SixFootSniper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    What?
    your routine is absurd.

chazzy it is most definatly the minority that do decline over flat. Id say its a minority that include decline at all, saying otherwise is misinformed by a minority that post about it in forums, look in a gym and see the flat bench with someone always on it compared to the empty decline.

chazzy it is most definatly the minority that do decline over flat. Id say its a minority that include decline at all, saying otherwise is misinformed by a minority that post about it in forums, look in a gym and see the flat bench with someone always on it compared to the empty decline.
    I didn't say the majority do decline. I said many people believe the decline is more effective and prefer it over flat.

To cite the masses in the gym as the example, though, is pointless, since the majority do flat bench, curls and 1/4 squats.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -

doublefacepalmbecauseoneisnotenough.jpg

sixfootsniper do you talk in riddles? I know you didnt say majority but I thought that was implied in your response, normally when you say many it means a large proportion, which is definatly not the case.

The consensus and surely best advice to give would be to choose flat it should be the foundation of a chest workout. obvious exceptions like if you have shoulder issues that prevent you from doing flat.

Advising a beginner to not do flat is just wrong