JAULA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My back workout for tonight

Hey folks! I'm new here, so no flaming please! I'm not trying to post a 'Rate my workout' thread, rather just some advice on my exercise choices.

Basically I'm coming out of a lousy few weeks (fitness wise) and am looking to get back on it after a very inconsistent 9 months at my gym. I have put together a workout routine which I'm fairly happy with, but it's my back routine I'm concerned about. Before you ask, I'm not able to do deadlifts YET due to mild lower back pain. I'm only prepared to do them as soon as my back is 100%

Here it is:
    Pullups- 3x8 reps (admittedly assisted)
    Lat pulldowns- 3x12 reps
    Row/rear delt row machine- 3x10
    Middle back shrug- 3x10
    Lower back hyperextension- 3x10
    DB bent over rows- 3x10

Using moderate-heavy weight (will go heavy on lat pull downs and rows, as I usually do). I have the sneaking suspicion that DB bent over rows may not be required...

So my goal is to add some thickness to my back. Would the above workout help me achieve this do you reckon? Apologies if this is a long post!
    Last edited by JAULA; 01-08-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Bump!

yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50) yomillzee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    looks solid.

try some long (12-20 second) negatives on those pullups, wicked.
    Always proud, never satisfied.
    ymzee.tumblr.com

*Disregard everything, acquire aesthetics crew*
    *Always swipes right crew*

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by yomillzee View Post
    looks solid.

try some long (12-20 second) negatives on those pullups, wicked.

Thanks man! I'll give it a go

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JAULA View Post
    Hey folks! I'm new here, so no flaming please! I'm not trying to post a 'Rate my workout' thread, rather just some advice on my exercise choices.

Basically I'm coming out of a lousy few weeks (fitness wise) and am looking to get back on it after a very inconsistent 9 months at my gym. I have put together a workout routine which I'm fairly happy with, but it's my back routine I'm concerned about. Before you ask, I'm not able to do deadlifts YET due to mild lower back pain. I'm only prepared to do them as soon as my back is 100%

Here it is:
    Pullups- 3x8 reps (admittedly assisted)
    Lat pulldowns- 3x12 reps
    Row/rear delt row machine- 3x10
    Middle back shrug- 3x10
    Lower back hyperextension- 3x10
    DB bent over rows- 3x10

Using moderate-heavy weight (will go heavy on lat pull downs and rows, as I usually do). I have the sneaking suspicion that DB bent over rows may not be required...

So my goal is to add some thickness to my back.

Would the above workout help me achieve this do you reckon? Apologies if this is a long post!

Maybe. But you exclude some of the more-effective exercises, and some of your choices are redundant.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Self proclaimed parrot Determinednoob's Avatar
    Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Determinednoob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    #1 at your level you shouldn't really have a "back day" You should be doing a three day full body lifting routine. Basically someone at your level for back should be doing deadlifts, barbell rows, and pull ups.
    The floundering has ended.

muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) muscularstrong7 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    good work out!

Originally Posted by Determinednoob View Post
    #1 at your level you shouldn't really have a "back day" You should be doing a three day full body lifting routine. Basically someone at your level for back should be doing deadlifts, barbell rows, and pull ups.

That's what gets me... How do you define someones level? By their bodyweight, or how much they can lift? I don't really see how doing three full body workouts would be any different? After all, if I have specific days, am I not working the muscles more?
    I agree, it seems like a lot of people tend to do the 'big three' compound moves and chuck a few others in there with them, to make three full body workouts per week. If I'm not mistaken that seems like the norm? However, would that definitely benefit me more than isolating different muscle groups on different days?

I'm genuinely interested in your opinion, as I've never really tried it that way before, and if it is definitely proven to be a more effective way of gaining size then heck I'll do it that way! I may have been gymming for 9 months or so but my knowledge is still pretty limited!

Originally Posted by muscularstrong7 View Post
    good work out!

Cheers brah!