dkdow0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ab exercises and back pain

I have very recently started going to the gym etc (around a month ago) and had until today never trained abs as part of it. I decided to add this workout to legs and biceps day 3 days apart. Today I tried it for the first time. I found, as I had previously experienced however, that whenever I do any kind of exercise aimed at the abs I experience such severe back pain that I have to stop before I even feel the exercise in my abdominals.

(program I was trying is from youtube: V-Cut RIPPED 6-Pack Abs Killer Workout "Be a 10 in 2010" by scott herman fitness if that is of interest to anyone)

I made it a few exercises in, but stopped because I wasn't sure if I was harming myself.

I did a little internet research and one of the explanations for back pain during ab work was anterior pelvic tilt, which I identified as myself. I have a very arched back.

Does this

a) mean I have to perform other exercises to strengthen my lower back before I am able to do ab exercises

b) mean that I should continue with the ab exercises regardless of the pain, as it is simply strengthening my back and it is not harming me

c) not do ab work?

Any information regarding apt and ab exercise would be much appreciated. As well as what other implications it could have on working out.

Thanks in advance, first time poster.

Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dkdow0 View Post
    I have very recently started going to the gym etc (around a month ago) and had until today never trained abs as part of it. I decided to add this workout to legs and biceps day 3 days apart. Today I tried it for the first time. I found, as I had previously experienced however, that whenever I do any kind of exercise aimed at the abs I experience such severe back pain that I have to stop before I even feel the exercise in my abdominals.

(program I was trying is from youtube: V-Cut RIPPED 6-Pack Abs Killer Workout "Be a 10 in 2010" by scott herman fitness if that is of interest to anyone)

I made it a few exercises in, but stopped because I wasn't sure if I was harming myself.

I did a little internet research and one of the explanations for back pain during ab work was anterior pelvic tilt, which I identified as myself. I have a very arched back.

Does this

a) mean I have to perform other exercises to strengthen my lower back before I am able to do ab exercises

b) mean that I should continue with the ab exercises regardless of the pain, as it is simply strengthening my back and it is not harming me

c) not do ab work?

Any information regarding apt and ab exercise would be much appreciated. As well as what other implications it could have on working out.

Thanks in advance, first time poster.
    Most ab and core exercises, should be performed with the spine in a neutral position.

Don't push yourself into pain. Pain is an indication by your body that you are causing harm or injury.

Do you get pain with ab crunches?

5 Simple Exercises for Correcting Anterior Pelvic Tilt
    http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.co...orrecting.html
    Strength without endurance, is as useless as, endurance without strength

*Eternal Virgin Crew*

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Also read brobrah's sticky on how to fix APT.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)