lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wanting a squat rack

So space and money are kind've the predicament and I don't want to sacrifice reliability. I don't know what to look for when buying one of these things as well. Any advice would be appreciated.

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am assuming you want a power rack. Go thru the power rack sticky first. You will get to know everything about 'em and the good brands you need to look for. Once done, you can post a more specific question on the location, space, budget, make, model etc.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #24 ()---()

lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10) lonecricket is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nope I just want to safely do squats. I want a squat rack that is the cheapest possible and it has to be sturdy. I was looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PSS6...rds=squat+rack
    Last edited by lonecricket; 01-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Squats49 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by lonecricket View Post
    Nope I just want to safely do squats. I want a squat rack that is the cheapest possible and it has to be sturdy. I was looking at this http://www.amazon.com/Powerline-PSS6...rds=squat+rack
    If you want to "safely do squats" you don't want a pair of squat stands, you want a power rack. I understand where you are coming from but my thought is that if you don't have room for a power rack you probably don't have room to safely do squats.

are you guys idiots?

I don't want squat stands I want a squat rack there's a difference.

hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulked will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This is why I said power rack. You cant do squats safely using the one u posted. Again, read the sticky.

EDIT: I know the diff. But if you are looking for a squat rack, post the link to a squat rack and not a stand. And if you are looking for some help, mind ur lang bro - are you guys idiots? - Really?
    Last edited by hulked; 01-07-2013 at 10:38 AM.

Can't afford a power rack and I can't go to a gym.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So space and money are kind've the predicament and I don't want to sacrifice reliability. I don't know what to look for when buying one of these things as well. Any advice would be appreciated.
    You may want to check out the V-Task Squat Stand from Vulcan, it retails for $300 which is the price of an entry-level power rack and is built similar to a commercial piece in terms of having heavy tubing, j-hooks, and safety catches. One of the nice things with this stand is that it has a base plate that allows you to adjust the width of the stands depending on what you are doing and has feet on the front supports for stability. It also has dip handles on the back if you like doing them. You could definitely find squat stands for less but the lifetime warranty and heavier grade equipment might be worth the additional investment if you have room in your budget.

http://www.vulcanstrength.com/?Click=397 (if you scroll down it is the second to last item in the right column)
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

That's perfect, thank you.

morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) morebarbell is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    are you guys idiots? I don't want squat stands I want a squat rack there's a difference.
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    You may want to check out the V-Task Squat Stand from Vulcan, it retails for $300
    That's perfect, thank you.
    Glad to see you found a good squat stand.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #32 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #43 ()---() ▉---▉ Equipment Crew #50 ▉---▉

iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) iportal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    That Vulcan unit looks to be a great quality. Another option would be the Powertec half rack http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com...alf-rack-1.jpg , the cost should be similar for a second hand unit, the safeties are a little longer which will be better if you fail on a squat. The Powertec quality won't be quite as good as the Vulcan unit, but better than the item on Amazon.

I completely understand that everyone doesn't wan't a cage for squatting, they do take up a lot of room.

Hence the above option is somewhere in the middle, on size and cost.

Hope the above helps...

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by iportal View Post
    The Powertec quality won't be quite as good as the Vulcan unit, but better than the item on Amazon.
    Powertec half rack rated 1,000 lbs, whereas Vulcan squat stand is at 800 lbs.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    are you guys idiots? I don't want squat stands I want a squat rack there's a difference.

Squat rack:

Cheap squat rack:

Squat stands:

Half rack:

Power rack:

Only three of these will allow you to "safely do squats", imo.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) deadwoodgregg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Stasher1... "are you an idiot....there is a difference" lol. I would say that it is pushing it alot to call a set of connected squat stands a "rack". I can't believe you guys continue to help people that come in here with an attitude, after showing their laziness by not reading the stickys or using the search function. Kudos go out to you guys as you are nicer than me.....Also, thanks to Stasher1 for showing the newbies the differences. Reps on spread.
    Last edited by deadwoodgregg; 01-07-2013 at 01:27 PM.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Jetigen View Post
    Powertec half rack rated 1,000 lbs, whereas Vulcan squat stand is at 800 lbs.
    I would not feel very comfortable with anything over 500-600 lbs on the j-hooks of most home gym racks or squat stands, and even there I would be prepared in case the rack were to fail. The safety bars on a power rack would be able to handle more if they are solid steel for things like rack pulls (or you could just use wooden pallets, etc. to elevate the weights).

This information really does not make a huge difference for most people unless they are a competitive strength athlete.

*For power racks I would recommend the Body Solid / Powerline rack, I have had one for 6-7 years and am very happy with it (and the price is quite competitive).

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can get http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-s-1-squat-stand.php with spotter bars for $500

Looks like that (3x3 pictured, 2x3 linked) but doesn't save you an inch of floor space over a 4x4' power rack.

The vulcan and powertech racks are pretty big too. Problem with those is their safeties can only save you on a controlled fail, if you even manage to hit them. Rogue half racks have 20" spotters and can take 500 lbs dropped on them.

I thought about sturdy but compact gyms here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=148569283 and people recommended skipping the rack, getting a trap bar and raised platform for safe leg workout.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

I do the realization that I should have control at all times.

Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000) Jetigen is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would not feel very comfortable with anything over 500-600 lbs on the j-hooks of most home gym racks or squat stands, and even there I would be prepared in case the rack were to fail. The safety bars on a power rack would be able to handle more if they are solid steel for things like rack pulls (or you could just use wooden pallets, etc. to elevate the weights).
    This made me think about what kind of a squat stand olympic weightlifters use in their day-to-day training apart from stackable wooden boxes.
    Last edited by Jetigen; 01-07-2013 at 01:57 PM.

This made me think about what kind of a squat stand olympic weightlifters use in their day-to-day training apart from stackable wooden boxes.
    Squat stands can hold a lot of weight because the weight is displaced directly over the steel tube upright so the entire structure would have to fail or you would have to sheer the 3/8" thick steel pin used to hold the adjustable portion. With this design even a rack made of mediocre materials would be able to hold a lot of weight. When you go over to the j-hook design you have limitations since you are now holding the weight out in front of the support using a welded piece of metal, so the rack is only as strong as the welds/reinforcements on that j-hook.

I have trained on some pretty rickety squat stands and they work just fine, although if you were to be doing heavy bench or something where the weight could fall on you then you definitely want to look at how sturdy the j-hooks/uprights and safety catches are.

It is a lot less likely to hurt yourself on something like overhead or squats since the weight cannot fall out of the rack and onto the lifter, which is what makes OLY training on mid-range racks not as dangerous (something like bench pressing would be very dangerous on a poorly constructed rack).

Originally Posted by Stasher1 View Post

Only three of these will allow you to "safely do squats", imo.
    You have infinite patience Stasher1 ... On spread with you rt now.

Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    Looks like that (3x3 pictured, 2x3 linked) but doesn't save you an inch of floor space over a 4x4' power rack.

The vulcan and powertech racks are pretty big too. Problem with those is their safeties can only save you on a controlled fail, if you even manage to hit them. Rogue half racks have 20" spotters and can take 500 lbs dropped on them.
    Repped...^^^ This is exactly what I wanted to explain. The 1st pic in Stashers post is the only proper/safe squat rack. But they have the same foot print and are probably as much expensive as a power rack. so i wanted to understand if height was the problem. But got thrown off before I got there.

But if squat stands are ok, control is very important. If that is the case then its all good.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hulked View Post
    You have infinite patience Stasher1 ... On spread with you rt now.

I'm actually a very impatient person. The OP just caught me in a good mood.

Originally Posted by hulked View Post
    Repped...^^^ This is exactly what I wanted to explain. The 1st pic in Stashers post is the only proper/safe squat rack. But they have the same foot print and are probably as much expensive as a power rack. so i wanted to understand if height was the problem. But got thrown off before I got there.

But if squat stands are ok, control is very important. If that is the case then its all good.

I think you'll find that many of the commercially available squat racks actually have a larger footprint than the average power rack. Some of them are closer to 1.5x the size, due to length of the spotter arms and the area between the angled gun-rack style bar holders. They definitely feel less cramped than a power rack, too.

I had one for a short time, but I just didn't have enough floor space in my little home gym to keep it. Wherever I put it, it blocked another piece of equipment.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

Squat stands can hold a lot of weight because the weight is displaced directly over the steel tube upright so the entire structure would have to fail or you would have to sheer the 3/8" thick steel pin used to hold the adjustable portion. With this design even a rack made of mediocre materials would be able to hold a lot of weight. When you go over to the j-hook design you have limitations since you are now holding the weight out in front of the support using a welded piece of metal, so the rack is only as strong as the welds/reinforcements on that j-hook.
    TomMutaffis, thanks for clarifying design strengthes. I keep watching over and over this olympic weightlifter, Idalberto Arranda, doing squats. The squat stand he is using in the video has the bar holders right above the frame.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    TomMutaffis, thanks for clarifying design strengthes. I keep watching over and over this olympic weightlifter, Idalberto Arranda, doing squats. The squat stand he is using in the video has the bar holders right above the frame.

Rogue posted their tests and their J-Cups could take several tonnes before failing. They have quality welds though. The issue about weight capacity is rarely with the j-cups. They're holding the weight close to the structure. It's cantilevered safeties taking a dynamic load 10" away where you need to be careful.

Also

The thing is if you squat with bumpers you can drop them off your back. Crossfit and oly lifters practice this move. Takes a bit of control of course. They avoid dropping anything on safety arms because it bends their fancy bars. They use boxes for pulls for the same reason.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-