SeattleFit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for a great ****meter

I have recently been trying to find a great ****meter to track my daily calories burned while I am at work, out and about, and working out. Some of the ones that I have found (and I assume this will be the case for many) are not very accurate. Fitbit has been at the top of my list but I was wondering if anyone had any better reccomendations?

Thanks

Registered you, sir. trimble006's Avatar
    trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) trimble006 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can't see any ****meter being too accurate to be honest. When you think of how they work, doesn't it just seem like another fitness gimmick? If you're looking to keep track with the goal of losing weight I'd suggest figuring out your daily caloric maintenance number(The amount of calories you consume regularly to maintain your current weight) and subtracting 3-500 calories from that number daily to see your weight drop. It's a lot more accurate and easier to control what you put into your body vs what some machine or gadget tells you you're burning based on formulas and all that crap. Not to mention it's a lot easier to not eat 300 calories than it is to spend an hour on the treadmill burning those 300 extra calories you ate.

Drop by the nutrition forum if you need a hand with calories in vs calories out. That might be a better bet too for a ****meter question. and don't forget to use the search function!
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #54 ▪█─────█▪

-✘- Edmonton Oilers -✘-
    -✘- Toronto Blue Jays -✘-

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by SeattleFit View Post
    I have recently been trying to find a great ****meter to track my daily calories burned while I am at work, out and about, and working out. Some of the ones that I have found (and I assume this will be the case for many) are not very accurate. Fitbit has been at the top of my list but I was wondering if anyone had any better reccomendations?
    I can't see that knowing the number of steps you take during a day will help much to determine your calorie burn. I hike with some folks who use a ****meter for measuring distance and they're either surprisingly accurate or way, way off depending upon the terrain. For measuring distance I recommend a GPS.

For your application, you might take a look at the BodyBugg.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

Location: Birmingham, Westmidlands, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000) owasM is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    I can't see that knowing the number of steps you take during a day will help much to determine your calorie burn. I hike with some folks who use a ****meter for measuring distance and they're either surprisingly accurate or way, way off depending upon the terrain. For measuring distance I recommend a GPS.

For your application, you might take a look at the BodyBugg.
    gps distance can be done on most peoples smart phones nowadays, worth a go if u've got one.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #4 -!!!---!!!-

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by owasM View Post
    gps distance can be done on most peoples smart phones nowadays, worth a go if u've got one.
    I don't have a smart phone, but it can, in theory, do GPS. However, my provider (Verizon) charges a per-monthly fee for using that service. I own several GPS devices, so I don't subscribe to that service.

My friend used his smart phone to track our distance on last Sunday's hike. He recorded nearly 12 miles on his smart phone. My Garmin GPS showed that we had only gone 9.3 miles. We were in a canyon for much of the time; that may have been responsible for the error.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14