BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Red face Does anyone get Gym anxiety?

I was just wondering because I'm sure I can't be the only person in the world who's intimidated in one way or another by the gym.
    Don't get me wrong, I love the gym, I competed in powerlifting for a few years, among other things and went to the public gym nearly every day but always had a twinge of anxiety and nerves when I even thought about going.
    I never had problems when I would train with my teammates or class members however. Maybe it's because I get so excited about going/performing that It turns into nerves? Nothing traumatic ever happened in a gym( besides breaking my wrist while training, but that was whatever) so that can't be it.
    I don't usually care what others think outside of the gym, outfits, my ability to drive, even during competition ect, but in the public gym I just get so nervous. I sort of have a perfectionist complex, and I hate making mistakes even though I know they are natural. Anyone else have problems with that at all? What do you do to cope/ calm down/ motivate? Why do you think it is?

Thanks!
    -Sam

kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Most people in the gym aren't paying attention to everybody else.

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kenny85 View Post
    Most people in the gym aren't paying attention to everybody else.
    And if they do, they need to pay attention to their own progress .
    USMC.
    "If there’s no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm."

kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000) kenny85 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ktothewire View Post
    And if they do, they need to pay attention to their own progress .
    ^^^this. I notice the familiar faces but that's about it. Just get your workouts in and go on about your business

Worlds slowest cut-ter SilvaMan61's Avatar
    SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SilvaMan61 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm with you OP. but im a nevous person on the whole. Always looking over my shoulder knowing that guy behind me is judging me. I love training, love lifting, even love DOMS but i get so nervous just before i set out for the gym that i have called off the trip more than once.

i have to say though that once im there, the second i touch a weight i let go and enter my own world. its just a matter of getting myself there, even if it means having the willpower to drag my nerves kicking and screaming out the door.
    "The hardship of the exercises is intended less to strengthen the back than to toughen the mind. The Spartans say that any army may win while it still has it's legs under it; the real test comes when all strength has fled and the men must produce victory on will alone." (Pressfield,1998, p.78)

ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000) ktothewire is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you get gym anxiety, check out my thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=150881103.

There will be people that look at you, that will judge you, but guess what while they are sitting there looking at you.. YOUR TRAINING! your getting bigger then them cause they are to occupied with your progress then theirs, and guess what.... soon they will feel intimated.... BY YOU!.
    USMC.
    "If there’s no enemy within, the enemy outside can do us no harm."

eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250) eight-pack has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I sometimes get this anxiety when out dancing. It feels like everybody there is watching you but in reality, nobody is. Used to feel like this when I first started going to the gym in high school but I grew out of it. I'm sure nobody is watching anybody else really. At least I don't. Pretty much just keep to myself when I train.

5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50) 5hakaZulu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You're going to die anyway, why worry? Who cares what people think. Fck'em. Gotta' have that type of mentality.

money lol, lol money BeefyMcNasty's Avatar
    BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BeefyMcNasty is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When I first started lifting I had hesitations about judgement. After a while I just considered the source. If someone is going to pass negative judgement of a person at the gym, working out, trying to improve, obviously that person is of the kind of character where their opinion doesn't matter to me.
    You bring the pepper, I'll bring the Angus.

"People will kill you over time, and how they'll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like 'be realistic.' "

**Self-Employed Crew**

**Bert Stare Bathroom Attendants Who Expect Me To Tip Them Crew**

ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ioppolo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to be very anxious when I first joined, I was the skinnest one there by a mile.

After the initial first few weeks, I got to know a few of the guys and they're more then happy to help me out with spotting etc.

OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) OJAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ktothewire View Post
    If you get gym anxiety, check out my thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=150881103.

There will be people that look at you, that will judge you, but guess what while they are sitting there looking at you.. YOUR TRAINING! your getting bigger then them cause they are to occupied with your progress then theirs, and guess what.... soon they will feel intimated.... BY YOU!.
    ^^^ F*ck what anyone thinks. Too focused on what im doing to care

xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xdk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no really

NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by 5hakaZulu View Post
    You're going to die anyway, why worry? Who cares what people think. Fck'em. Gotta' have that type of mentality.
    This, Disregard everyone psych yourself out and walk through those gym doors saying "what am i here for, Myself!"
    Kill your workout, Best of luck op.

NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NewGainNation has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by OJAY View Post
    ^^^ F*ck what anyone thinks. Too focused on what im doing to care
    This guy has the right mind!

SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidOakie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nobody in the gym is going to hate on someone who's not lifting a lot of weight. We are all there for improvement and we all started somewhere. The only place I can imagine someone hating is in a high school field house. I have been going to the gym for years and I've only heard of one time where a guy was being a dick, and I didn't even see it, my buddy told me about it. Most of the people in the gym are adults and focused on personal development.

vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50) vol8615 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I started in 2009, at a terrible gym because I had a break in classes at a community college, I was scared ****less to go in there somedays. think about this walking to your local mall how many people look at you there, same concept some people may look at you because there admiring you, or maybe just because your a new face. Either way just do what I do nod your head so they know you see them too.

BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50) BleuSam will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I read everyones replies and I want to say thanks for all the support! All of what you're saying does make sense, I guess I'm just a little intimidated being one of the only females that goes there in a room full of really huge guys. Most of the guys are really nice though, I'm coming to find Thanks for all the help guys!
    May your squats be deep and heavy in the new year ;D

-Sam

ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ReyJay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    All I can see in the gym is weights and myself in the mirror, tunnel vision focus.

GIGAJONES has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGAJONES has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGAJONES has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I'm doing something unfamiliar a little bit, but when I'm confident in my lifts I'm confident in myself.

Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50) Derock will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can't say I get gym anxiety, but I do know the feeling of worrying about other people's opinions.

The best thing that has helped me is asking myself "do I want to let other people's opinions have power over me, or do I want to keep my power and reach my goals?"

For whatever reason, that reminds me that I'm letting other people control my life when I'd rather be the one in control. It seems to help me feel more empowered to live on my own terms. You may need to find a question that works better for you, but there's a lot of power in asking the right question for shifting one's perspective and feelings.

Hope this helps.
    Get my free motivational fat loss and muscle building guide for busy people @ excuseproof.com.

Author of "50 Fitness Tips You Wish You Knew" and "How To Stick To A Diet"