Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Too short for rugby?

I'm 16 years old, 5ft11 and 190ish pounds and I'm about to start rugby season playing in the opens. Everyone seems bigger and stronger and as a prop my only advantage is my agility and fitness

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Grinese24 View Post
    I'm 16 years old, 5ft11 and 190ish pounds and I'm about to start rugby season playing in the opens. Everyone seems bigger and stronger and as a prop my only advantage is my agility and fitness
    lol too short? you are 16 and 5'11...you are taller than 90% of the guys your age. One top of that, you weight 190lbs lol.

If you are that big at that age but yet feel tiny (inferior), then maybe sports isn't for you.

Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harmsy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5'11 is not to short, your only 16 might have another inch or two to grow if your lucky.

Scrum-Halves tend to be shortest along with Hookers, perhaps if your playing as a prop it wouldn't be such a bad idea to start training as a hooker if you are actually significantly shorter than the other props you've been playing with?

Anyway look at Shane Williams an ex welsh winger, one of the best there's been http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Williams he's only 5'7

jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jzma is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SDOptimist View Post
    lol too short? you are 16 and 5'11...you are taller than 90% of the guys your age. One top of that, you weight 190lbs lol.

If you are that big at that age but yet feel tiny (inferior), then maybe sports isn't for you.
    Do you understand what 'opens rugby' is bro? Just because he's 190/5'11 doesn't mean he'll be alright. Doesn't mean he's strong too

xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50) xtekk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You should be fine bro, at 16 you're not going to find that many bigger players. You should be a good player if you use you're fitness and size in the physical part of the game.

Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Energyy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Tbh, you dont want to be tall in rugby. Most of the best players in the world are under 5"10. Seriously. Rugby is one of the few sports where being short has the advantage.

pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50) pottro563 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Switch to hooker, or wait until you finish growing.

SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000) SDOptimist is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jzma View Post
    Do you understand what 'opens rugby' is bro? Just because he's 190/5'11 doesn't mean he'll be alright. Doesn't mean he's strong too
    I know it doesn't mean he will be alright. His ability to play the game regardless of his height will determine how well he does. His determination, skills, technique and intangibles will determine how well he does, and if he "will be alright". But regardless, the guy is 5'11 and 16. He is taller than majority of people his age.

I also understand that just because he is 5'11 190, it doesnt mean he is strong....So, maybe should that have been his question instead of asking if he was short, when in fact he is taller than 90% of the people his age? lol The word short refers to your height and nothing else. Maybe he is thinking your height has something to do with strength or ability, but he would then be just ask clueless as he made himself out to be with the original question.

However, if opens league rugby means he is playing in a league where the guys are all 5-10 years older than him, then yah, maybe he should rethink some things. But if he is on the field with people his age/level, then he is one of the tallest on the field, and needs to worry about other things....like getting faster and stronger...not worry about your height.

Premium quality miscer. IndigoKing's Avatar
    IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Bro look at the exter chiefs front row, none of them are above 5'11" ^.^
    100% premium quality English miscer.

Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Grinese24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for that advice, feeling better already.

I'm bulking

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Energyy View Post
    Tbh, you dont want to be tall in rugby. Most of the best players in the world are under 5"10. Seriously. Rugby is one of the few sports where being short has the advantage.
    lol wut?
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    he's just barely shorter than Mike Tindall, and probably still growing. If that guy could captain England, Im certain the OP can play in an open American league. And just because someone is big, especially in AMerica, doesnt mean they know how to be in a scrum, or make it more than 5 minutes without getting gassed.

I

Premium quality miscer. IndigoKing's Avatar
    IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IndigoKing is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Birthplace of the game and smashed the Kiwis last game brah! Northampton Saints groupie checking in.
    100% premium quality English miscer.

SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000) SayWhatAgain12 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Being short has its advantages in rugby, harder to make a legal tackle on you so people have to be a little more careful. Just make sure you're a little ball of power and **** **** up

There are positions in rugby to suit most, eg. I'm 5'10 and was quick (until I got a little fat/unfit (working on it)) so my natural position was the wing.
    I fart every time I deadlift. No idea how loud either cos of headphones. Fuark.

Hooker_Mike has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not sure but judging from your post it seems like you feel like you can only be a prop. You are young and as others have said are still growing so that could change anyway. Try out other positions and see how you like them. Also how you feel in the scrum has just as much to do with you as it does with your team mates and how much push they are giving you, tightness of their binds, etc. I should also add that when I was playing rugby I played as hooker and I'm 5'10" and I wasn't the shortest person on the team or even in the front row so no you aren't too short.
    Last edited by Hooker_Mike; 01-08-2013 at 09:24 AM.

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Hooker_Mike View Post
    I'm not sure but judging from your post it seems like you feel like you can only be a prop.
    Maybe he just realizes that prop is the position where the real men play. He's just afraid that he might not grow enough to continue to experience the joys of playing in the front row.

Once you've played in the front row, every other position just feels like you're playing soccer.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.