cstardavis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What carbs can replace grains when preparing for competition?

I am currently prepping for figure competition in May and I don't eat grains because of the effects they have on me and I love eating sweet potatoes. What other options besides green beans, broccoli, and some other vegetables would be good to replace the grains i.e. oatmeal, brown rice, etc? Thank you!

iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Since you enjoy sweet potatoes, Winter squash/pumpkins would be a good addition [yellow/orange foods contain beta carotene and lutein and are rich in Vitamin C and folate] as well as starchy root veggies (parsnips, turnips, carrots, etc.)

As for grains, or non-grains, you might be able to eat QUINOA since it isn't a true grain and is high in protein [pronounced Keen-wah - is an ancient food that is not yet well known in North America. Technically quinoa is not a true grain, but is the seed of the Chenopodium or Goosefoot plant. It is used as a grain and substituted for grains because of it's cooking characteristics. The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans. It is exceptionally high in lysine, cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. It is a good complement for legumes, which are often low in methionine and cystine. The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids. The name comes from the Greek words, chen (a goose) and pous (a foot). This is due to a resemblance of the leaves of the plant to the webbed foot of a goose. It has been cultivated in South American Andes since at least 3,000 B.C. and has been a staple food of millions of native inhabitants. The ancient Incas called quinoa the "mother grain" and revered it as sacred.]
    Yes, I'm a girl! :)

And, yes, I'm short and fat - I intend to change one of those in the near future! ;)

gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50) gs425e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    soya bean protein..can be used as a basis to make patties..soups etc..a good staple food to add to your diet

iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50) iMerMaid will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile

LEGUMES would be great [Beans and legumes are inexpensive, typically high in fiber, calcium, and iron, beans and legumes are also a great source of protein. Combined with whole grains like buckwheat, brown rice, millet, quinoa, and teff, beans and legumes not only make a delicious meal, but often also provide the full compliment of essential amino acids needed by humans.]

adamhollo4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Carbs/grains

So are grains such as oats and brown rice ok to eat when preparing for a fitness model comp? I'm 16 weeks out now and still eating a serving of oats every morning and brown rice every second day??

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is arguably little difference between sugar and complex carbs on a cut. The difference between once complex carb and another won't make a difference.

BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000) BalhamBeast is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would be careful with legumes as they contain phytates (which bind to essential minerals such as calcium, magnesium, zinc and iron and leach them out of the body).

I am sensitive to gluten but can eat white rice if I want to include carbs. It's generally kinder on the gut than brown.
    Quinoa and buckwheat are both good (they are not real grains and contain no gluten). And obviously potatoes and sweet potatoes along with other root vegetables are excellent carb sources.
    Current log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149169243

Now cutting!

cstardavis has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have tried all of those suggestions, buckwheat, quinoa, legumes, but many just bloat me up so I tend to stay away. I guess my sweet potatoes are going to have to be it, which I do not mind. Thank you for your suggestions!!!