Chillaxed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A bunch of questions from a newbie

Hey guys!

So I've decided (like many other people I assume) that I want to become fit & healthy as my new year's resolution, and I really do intend to do that by the end of 2013. I've been doing so much research about bodybuilding and nutrition and different workouts, and quite frankly, it's a bit overwhelming... That's why I decided to create an account and ask these questions and (hopefully) get answers! My goal is to gain muscle size, like a bodybuilder, rather than strength (as a powerlifter).

I apologize beforehand if any of these questions have been answered in a really easy to find location...

So here it goes:

What is better to do FIRST: gaining muscle, or losing weight? Apparently you can't do both (or shouldn't), so I'd like to know which one is better to go for first.

I was looking at workout programs, and most of them look really good, but when I googled a bit I found out that "real" people (advanced bodybuilders) are talking **** about them saying that they are only marketing supplements and want you to buy their books and other "necessary" things... So I'm asking if there is a true & tried workout program that works?

What is a good diet (and cheap, I'm still in school and I'm not made out of money) for gaining muscle? I was thinking that canned tuna would be really good, as well as eggs and vegetables? Will those do me any good? Also, is it necessary to eat 6 times per day?

Presuming that I'm not going to start a workout program, and decided to do a custom one, what kind of weekly plan would be good for gaining muscle?

What supplements do I need? I'm assuming protein powder? What else?

Is a "cheat day" good? I've had so many mixed opinions and I really have no idea... My common sense says that it is bad, but apparently it isn't! What do you guys think?

How many reps/sets should I do if I'm aiming for muscle size? Should I train a muscle group more than once per week?

How long does it (realistically) take to NATURALLY achieve a good male-model looking physique? I see these 12-week workout programs that apparently give great results but I personally think they aren't as good as they say they are... And I don't want to "waste" 12 weeks of my life to try...

Also, additional information on nutrition would be REALLY appreciated! That's what I'm struggling most with.

skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) skrudge7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Chillaxed View Post
    Hey guys!

So I've decided (like many other people I assume) that I want to become fit & healthy as my new year's resolution, and I really do intend to do that by the end of 2013. I've been doing so much research about bodybuilding and nutrition and different workouts, and quite frankly, it's a bit overwhelming... That's why I decided to create an account and ask these questions and (hopefully) get answers! My goal is to gain muscle size, like a bodybuilder, rather than strength (as a powerlifter).

I apologize beforehand if any of these questions have been answered in a really easy to find location...

So here it goes:

What is better to do FIRST: gaining muscle, or losing weight? Apparently you can't do both (or shouldn't), so I'd like to know which one is better to go for first.

I was looking at workout programs, and most of them look really good, but when I googled a bit I found out that "real" people (advanced bodybuilders) are talking **** about them saying that they are only marketing supplements and want you to buy their books and other "necessary" things... So I'm asking if there is a true & tried workout program that works?

What is a good diet (and cheap, I'm still in school and I'm not made out of money) for gaining muscle? I was thinking that canned tuna would be really good, as well as eggs and vegetables? Will those do me any good? Also, is it necessary to eat 6 times per day?

Presuming that I'm not going to start a workout program, and decided to do a custom one, what kind of weekly plan would be good for gaining muscle?

What supplements do I need? I'm assuming protein powder? What else?

Is a "cheat day" good? I've had so many mixed opinions and I really have no idea... My common sense says that it is bad, but apparently it isn't! What do you guys think?

How many reps/sets should I do if I'm aiming for muscle size? Should I train a muscle group more than once per week?

How long does it (realistically) take to NATURALLY achieve a good male-model looking physique? I see these 12-week workout programs that apparently give great results but I personally think they aren't as good as they say they are... And I don't want to "waste" 12 weeks of my life to try...

Also, additional information on nutrition would be REALLY appreciated! That's what I'm struggling most with.
    1. Gain Muscle, so later when you lose weight there is more to show

2. Legs Push Pull Rest google

3. Work out your macros then just eat anything that fits it

4. Refer to question 2

5. Protein Powder thats it atm

6. Only do cheat days when you start to want to lose weight, with bulking macros you should be able to fit in certain treats

7. 8-10 3 sets of each and every muscle twice a week

8. round about 2 years depending on what your starting with

Chillaxed has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I googled the "Legs Push Pull" and found this workout plan:

The Push Pull Legs Routine:

Day One – Pull
    Deadlifts (conventional, sumo or partial aka “rack pulls”) – 5 sets x 5 reps
    Rows (barbell, dumbbell, machine or t-bar) – 5 sets x 5 reps
    Weighted pull ups, chins or Barbell or dumbbell curls – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Two - Push
    Flat, incline or decline barbell, dumbbell, of machine bench press – 5 sets x5 reps
    Military, dumbbell or machine press – 5 sets x 5 reps
    Dips or close-grip bench press – 5 sets x 5 reps

Day Three - Legs
    Back or front squats – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
    Leg Press – 4 sets x 6 – 10 reps
    Standing or seated calf raises – 3 sets x 6 – 10 reps

It says 5x5 reps/sets, should I change them to 8-10 reps and 3 sets?