Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Uhmyeti has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Help me make my varisty team. I have 11 Months until next season(complete scrub).

Hey everyone. I am a Junior in high school right now and I want to make the Varsity team of my high school. I have always been athletic and I am a very fast learner but I never really bothered to try and play sports. For the last month or so I have been going to the gym and practicing my shot, but that is about it. When I go into the gym I will be there for about 4-5 hours a day just taking shots from everywhere. The very next day it feels like all of that the practice I put in goes away and I have to relearn everything over again. This is starting to discourage me but not enough to quite. Keep in mind that I am losing to little kids who are way better than me. The weakest part of me right now is ball handling. Being 5'6 I have to get defenders off me but I can't do it without being able to dribble the ball.

Right now I am 5'6 135 lbs. Can anyone recommend a workout plan? A diet(for height preferably), and drills I need to run every single day to get better? I am 100% OK with going to the gym for 4-5 hours every single day for the next 11 months because it isn't a chore for me. I am taking this very seriously and I am 100% determined to reach my goal.

So to recap I want to get make my varsity boys team, but I lack direction on what drills to run and how to get better. I am frustrated because I feel when I go into the gym, my progress is lost the next day because of lack of muscle memory. I would like someones to recommend a weight lifting plan, a diet to eat so I hit my growth spurt(Dad is 5'9, short family uncle is 5'11), and drills and a workout I should follow everyday in the gym. Can anyone also give me some tips on how to get better quicker and form good habits/muscle memory faster? I fear practicing and doing it wrong which translates into poor play. Thanks

tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tazui1982 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    S120kg/B97.5kg/D140kg/OHP62kg
    My training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150869353

emart24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you can play defense and pass a ball, you will make the team. checkout ihoops.com, they have lots of drills you can work on.

My personal advice would be find someone who is way quicker then you and ask them if you can play defense on them for a few drills. (everyone hates defense, everyone loves offense so you shouldn't have a hard time finding someone who is willing to play offense on you.)

drill 1: full court zig-zag. have the ball handler dribble in a zig-zag pattern the length of the court, your goal is to slide-shuffle with him at full speed in the zig-zag pattern he will be dribbling in. if he gets ahead of you, turn and run full speed until you catch up and return to the defensive stance and s;ide-shuffle. you should feel very desperate and exert lots of energy with this drill. If you get really good, then you change the rules so that the ball handler does not have to follow a set pattern, and your goal will be to turn him in the opposite direction by cutting off his path in a defensive stance.

Drill 2: 1-on-1. Have an offensive player start from a triple-threat stance at the top of the key and try to beat you off the dribble for a layup. if he can't get a layup off of one or two moves, then have them pull up for a jumpshot. your goal is to contest the layup or shot without fouling and then immediately boxing out for the rebound.

training: train with a plyometrics program to help develop lateral speed and quickness, (if you can get your hands on the p90x plyos- I would do that 1-2 times a week). also get comfortable moving in the defensive stance. if you can pull off 5 suicides in defensive stance at full speed (quick rest to catch your breath in between), you should be in pretty good shape. time yourself, and constantly try to improve your time.

there are many other aspect to team defense, especially help D- but if you can lock-up on the ball, that will be your best chance to make the team. These drills will hurt physically and test you mentally, but every coach is looking for a player with that type of attitude to be willing to hustle and work hard.

check out the drills in the skill section on ihoops.com and practice every aspect of your game, but put emphasis on DEFENSE

3lCr0dE has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with the above... ihoops.com is a really great website. If possible i suggest you to talk to your future coach/ other basketball players you might know irl. And ask him/her if he/she could help you in order to get to the team.