Thread: OHP form check

PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

OHP form check

Please be harsh. Thanks!

darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PinkNgreen View Post

Please be harsh. Thanks!

Overall form looks pretty good. If i could say anything id say dont exaggerate the lockout so much. Its not good for your elbows and its taking the tension off the shoulder muscle. Your lockout is so exgerated it made my elbows cringe a little lol....other than that, good job

PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) PinkNgreen is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Thanks man, I always thought you were supposed to exaggerate it though and flex/squeeze your shoulders and traps hard at the top?

Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're not coming back to a straight position at the bottom of the rep. Sort of curving back and curling under it for support. I suspect your abs and butt aren't contracted tight enough to keep your torso straight for foundation. Squeeze those two groups for all they're worth.

Lockout looked fine.

Originally Posted by Joe2DovesGiotto View Post
    You're not coming back to a straight position at the bottom of the rep. Sort of curving back and curling under it for support. I suspect your abs and butt aren't contracted tight enough to keep your torso straight for foundation. Squeeze those two groups for all they're worth.

Lockout looked fine.
    Butt is contracted but not abs. I thought you were supposed to bring your body forward once the bar passes above your head though, In order to help push the bar into lockout. Every form thread/article I've read about OHP has said this. Am I just doing it wrong?

Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000) Joe2DovesGiotto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Butt is interacted but not abs. I thought you were supposed to bring your body forward once the bar passes above your head though, In order to help push the bar into lockout. Every form thread/article I've read about OHP has said this. Am I just doing it wrong?
    You've got that part right -- it's the return trip (the eccentric) that looks loose.

Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anthony21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Joe2DovesGiotto View Post
    You've got that part right -- it's the return trip (the eccentric) that looks loose.
    It looks good to me...OP nice pressing.
    My training log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178464441

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Might be able to bring your grip in a little bit. Im judging this by how low the bar is going. But its possible that this is just caused by short forearms or long humerus.

Other than that the movement is good. I dont think youre overextended or anything. Back COULD be slightly over arched? Not sure. I know I tweaked my spine doing OHP once and I realized it was from over arch.

Reps for everyone who replied, thanks. I do have some APT that I'm working on fixing, I think that may be causing me some problems.

Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Forumite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Just echoing what some others may have said but I don't think you need to lock out so hard, also doesn't look like you are coming down to the chest which is causing you to slightly lean.
    ~Braves-Falcons-Caps~
    ~Dad Crew x2~
    ~Currently playing: SMITE~

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    ITT: people thinking he's doing a shoulder press for aesthetics

OP, your press isn't bad. i'd lock down your ribcage by contracting the abs. yes, your glutes should be tight and everything else you've said is correct, but i notice a very slight pelvic tilt/hyperextension.

also i can't tell due to the camera angle, but your elbows can be pointed forward more.

continue to engage the traps and press to full extension despite what some of these posters say

Originally Posted by SDFlip View Post

OP, your press isn't bad. i'd lock down your ribcage by contracting the abs. yes, your glutes should be tight and everything else you've said is correct, but i notice a very slight pelvic tilt/hyperextension.

also i can't tell due to the camera angle, but your elbows can be pointed forward more.

continue to engage the traps and press to full extension despite what some of these posters say
    Thanks,
    Yeah definitely not doing this for aesthetics. Basically what I've gathered is to flex my abs. I do have some pelvic tilt and I'm working on fixing it. Ill also work on keeping my elbows pointed forward more. Thanks again

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Everything looked good. The lockout is fine, maybe bring in your grip a little closer.
    OG

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks,
    Yeah definitely not doing this for aesthetics. Basically what I've gathered is to flex my abs. I do have some pelvic tilt and I'm working on fixing it. Ill also work on keeping my elbows pointed forward more. Thanks again

good video on fixing your press

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

good video on fixing your press
    This is an actual question: these tips are more for just increasing raw strength, correct? I ask cuz the bit about narrowing grip and encouraging internal rotation in press/bench would appear to take stress from either delts/chest and put it on tri's. I AM lifting for aesthetics, but my press is easily my weakest lift. Should I be following these tips as well? I purposely flare my elbows out quite a bit when pressing, especially seated.
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm

MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000) MichaelCJ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Not bad at all, really. Here's a few pointers that might help anyway though: http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2012/06...ead-press.html

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by abendm View Post
    This is an actual question: these tips are more for just increasing raw strength, correct? I ask cuz the bit about narrowing grip and encouraging internal rotation in press/bench would appear to take stress from either delts/chest and put it on tri's. I AM lifting for aesthetics, but my press is easily my weakest lift. Should I be following these tips as well? I purposely flare my elbows out quite a bit when pressing, especially seated.
    No...it's the proper way to do pressing without screwing up your RC.

Reps for SDFlip for awaring me on that grip...i did not know that.
    OG

pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000)

This is actually the first thing I noticed. Everything else seems fine but you seem to be doing what I used to do and just kinda rest the bar on the wrists instead of the deltoids. It gave me bad wrist pain and I wasn't nearly as strong when my radius was completely perpendicular to the floor. I always press with my elbows out forward a bit more allowing the weight to rest on my delts. Hope that helps.
    TM Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145984543&highlight=pyaarawala

Texas Method -- Shredding down this body fat while maintaining strength --> Lean & mean

MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    squeeze glutes and abs more.

nice fix vid

Originally Posted by abendm View Post
    it's actually external rotation. internal rotation is flaring out the elbow.

i would recommend for heavier movements an elbow tuck (external rotation) for all heavy pressing (benching, OHP, etc.) and save an elbows flared style press for lighter dumbbell movements in the 10-15 rep range

with added strength, and proper nutrition, size will come.

i think making this form modification will improve your training progress in all aspects (aesthetics and performance)

darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000) darscogre is just really nice. (+1000)

I wouldnt just tell him to ignore what everyone else says and just listen to you buddy.....Lets be real. Does he wanna develop muscle, or does he wanna look like a guy from my high school swim team like you.

iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Reps for everyone who replied, thanks. I do have some APT that I'm working on fixing, I think that may be causing me some problems.
    How much does APT affect lifting? Also what are you doing to fix it?
    Do not think that what is hard for you to master is humanly impossible; and if it is humanly possible, consider it to be within your reach.

Originally Posted by darscogre View Post
    I wouldnt just tell him to ignore what everyone else says and just listen to you buddy.....Lets be real. Does he wanna develop muscle, or does he wanna look like a guy from my high school swim team like you.
    swimmers are jacked

abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250) abendm has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    it's actually external rotation. internal rotation is flaring out the elbow.
    Yeah... the whole [external rotation of shoulder] = "elbows coming in (to midline of body)" confused me; I'm quite new to the kinesiology terms.

i would recommend for heavier movements an elbow tuck (external rotation) for all heavy pressing (benching, OHP, etc.) and save an elbows flared style press for lighter dumbbell movements in the 10-15 rep range

i think making this form modification will improve your training progress in all aspects (aesthetics and performance)
    OP, it looks like you've gotten good feedback so far, sorry to hijack your thread...

I'll give it a shot. I sort of stopped using "strength type" form on pressing movements when my bench stalled and I moved from SS to an upper/lower split routine. Lifts went up initially, but I found both OHP and bench have stalled likely due to triceps weakness, which likely wouldn't have happened if I'd been using more triceps in the lift (i.e., keeping elbows in).
    Former member of the > 300 lb crew
    --- 08/03/11: >310 lb
    --- 04/26/13: 14% 190 lb

--- I always rep back, although measly atm

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hmm, let's see...

Lifted weight overhead: [√]
    Didn't kill yourself: [√]
    Didn't do anything that seems likely to kill you down the road when bigger weight is used: [√]

Looking good boss.

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I think all that matters has been covered above.

Still, I should add...

Elbowstoopointy/10
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups