Registered User WillShakeshafte's Avatar
    WillShakeshafte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need some Program Advice...

Hello. I'm new here, and need some advice on what program I should do next. I've spent the past 8 months doing a linear progression (GSLP) and have grown kind of bored with it...Anyway, here are myn stats:

Sex: Male
    Height: 5'10

Bench: 170 3x5 (going to try for 172 tomorrow)
    Press: 130 3x5
    Squat: 305 2x5, 1x7
    Deadlift: 315x3 (really think I have more here)

I'm on my third reset of Bench and Press, and second and a half of Squat and Deadlift. As you can imagine Bench and press are the most difficult moves for me...Anyway, I sort of think I want to go with a hybrid program where I can continue to progress linearly (I have some room for upper-body gains I think; but I am pretty small-boned so maybe, maybe not), but strength not be the primary motive behind the programming. I have used the search function, and looked at a program called PHAT; however, I have seen people warn against it for newer lifters, so I would like an explanation/alternative if no one minds.

Also, should I be taking creatine?

Thanks,

William Shakeshafte

floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) floydd247 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would recommend looking into some intermediate routines that involve some ramping of your sets if you feel you are stalling too often. Look into the Madcow intermediate/Bill Star 5x5 program maybe. He is the link to the program with a nifty spreadsheet to calculate your lifts for you because it can get a bit complicated. Read the original description by madcow and try to read most of the links he recommends especially the training primer for an explanation of why to do this. I like these full body compound movement programs for fairly new to intermediate lifters. Which is where I classify myself with lifting stats about the same as yours. The PHAT program seems a bit too advanced for you IMO.

Creatine does have some scientific support for effectiveness, makes logical sense, and has testimonial support. However tests are still being done on the safety and I have heard rumors through the athletic department at my college that the NCAA is researching creatine as a possible banned substance in the future. Not sure if this is because of adverse side effects or unnatural performance enhancement.
    "Never look down on anybody unless you are helping them up"

Registered User WillShakeshafte's Avatar
    WillShakeshafte has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ah, thanks.

Are either of those programs focused on increasing mass at all?