TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Help With Squats

Okay, my legs are considerably stronger than my core; my core is VERY weak it seems. I can deadlift 210 with good form, but my upper back keeps caving forward a bit while squatting. I can't even do a squat with just the bar without my back caving forward. I can't even do an overhead squat with no weight without falling over.

My heels don't elevate; I start the motion by pushing my hips back; I puff my chest out and take a deep breath before going down. My upperback still caves forward at the very bottom. I'm sitting down near my ankles, and my legs don't buckle inwards on the push back up.

If anyone has the book 'Starting Strength' which I just ordered today and am waiting on, can they give me any advice on what to do? I can only barbell row about 105 with good form, so I don't know if I need to row more or what. I'll try to get a video up on Wednesday to illustrate my problem, and any help you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated.
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: ~190

infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50) infinitenexus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, your deadlift looks right about in-line with the rest of your lifts. With how you described yourself squatting, it sounds like you have good form (hips first, chest out)... Are you keeping a good arch in your lower back when you squat? It sounds like you're doing ATG squats, maybe try squatting to parallel for a bit (if you don't have the same problem) to build up some strength, then go ATG. With you able to DL 210, you should have the strength to squat over 135 without falling over. Have you been doing this for a while, or are you just starting out?
    Don't call me bro. I'm not your brother.
    Rack your weights. Don't be a douchebag.
    People who wear grip straps and gloves make me laugh.

TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TehLegend has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've posted videos of me squatting twice in the past, links to both:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaxPpzkc3jM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7-k7Dg6FY

In both of them, a common theme is my back arcing at the very bottom. My form has changed a lot since then, so I'll work on getting a video up on Wednesday.

I believe the problem is I can't maintain the arc in my lower back, that I initially have at the top. And I used to be doing just barely below parallel for awhile, so I think my legs might have really outgrown my core.

Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey dude first of all maybe try stretching if that is the problem.

Also I used to have this problem at heavier weights when doing rippetoes, but then I started 5x5, set the weight back, but also started doing loads of weighted situps. As in the program it tells you to do 2 sets of hypers on monday, and 4 sets of situps on mon and 3 on wed.

And I think that helped me a lot. I did some core work on rippetoes, but all I did was a set of situps, set of crunches, set of leg raises and a set of side bends..

maybe try doing thos weighted on for about 8 reps, and it might help...

Alrighty, I'll definately try the 5x5 core work. I have only incorporated core work fairly recently, figuring my squats and deadlifts would do everything I need. Apparently not =\

And I do stretch my back and abs before squatting. I do 10 situps and 10 bicycles to both sides, and then stretch by laying on my belly and curving my body up. Also I rotate side to side to stretch the back while sitting on my behind.

Oh, how does one actually do weighted sit-ups? I'm a bit confused as to where to hold the weight, where my feet should be, etc.

Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000) Leathalx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TehLegend View Post
    Oh, how does one actually do weighted sit-ups? I'm a bit confused as to where to hold the weight, where my feet should be, etc.
    Try stretching by bending your down and touching your toes, btw.

I don't know we have a decline sit up bench, and you jsut put your feet against this pads, and take a plate or a dumbell and if its plate, hold it against your chin, and if its dumbell, on the chest.

nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50) nyrippetoe will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Have you tried squatting with a wider foot stance?
    In 2006 I was a Starting Strength success story, gaining 30 pounds of muscle and hitting 400/300/500 over seven months. Then excuses happened and my interests shifted. I made a pathetically short-lived attempt at a comeback eight months later, but that didn't last. That was nearly six years ago. I'm now 27 and am back for another shot at things. Follow my log and watch me (hopefully) get hella strong again!

My Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150615573

No, I haven't really. I always put my feet shoulder width apart, as I figured that's how Olympic lifters do it.