loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Barbell Weights

Just got some York equipment for my home gym and was trying to figure out as I still need weights. How many 45lb's, 25lb's, 10lb's, and 5lb's I will need for my home gym. My guess a good start would be like 300lbs, Please give me some imput.
    Last edited by loganloganlo; 01-04-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    ▲▼▲5'7" Master Race Crew▲▼▲

▲▼▲Jumpstyle 4 Life Crew▲▼▲

I leave for Boot camp May 28th-2013.

If I help you and you don't rep me I will neg you.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by loganloganlo View Post
    Just got some York equipment for my home gym and was trying to figure out as I still need weights. How many 45lb's, 25lb's, 10lb's, and 5lb's I will need for my home gym. My guess a good start would be like 300lbs, Please give me some imput.
    Thus subject line of your post refers to dumbbells, but the post itself seems to be asking about plates that you'd put on a barbell. (I don't think anyone puts 45lb plates on a dumbbell.)

Assuming you're buying plates for a barbell, a 300lb set is the way to go. If you're just buying plates, then get: 4x45, 2x25, 4x10, 2x5. Add in a bar, and you have over 300lbs.

You could also get some 35lb plates, but I'm in the camp that doesn't like them. I'd prefer to either get more 25s or more 45s.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50) loganloganlo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Thus subject line of your post refers to dumbbells, but the post itself seems to be asking about plates that you'd put on a barbell. (I don't think anyone puts 45lb plates on a dumbbell.)

Assuming you're buying plates for a barbell, a 300lb set is the way to go. If you're just buying plates, then get: 4x45, 2x25, 4x10, 2x5. Add in a bar, and you have over 300lbs.

You could also get some 35lb plates, but I'm in the camp that doesn't like them. I'd prefer to either get more 25s or more 45s.
    Ah, yes ty. Miss typed that haha.. Ment to put Barbell weights lol.

Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Stasher1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    At least (8) 45's, (2) 25's, (4) 10's, (2) 5's, and (2) 2.5's
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"An adult male weighs at least 200 pounds." - Mark Rippetoe

▪█──█▪ Equipment Crew #44 ▪█──█▪

||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #11 ||---||

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy more any chance you have , you will never - never have too many plates.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah, 300, or 350 is pretty popular.

One might as well start with decent weight, but on the other hand one can always buy more weights later.

PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PaulRivers is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    P.S. Here's a chart for roughly how much a typical person is capable of lifting -
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

The lift with the most weight is the deadlift. If you're 200 pounds, male, and "intermediate", you would be lifting 333lbs.

They define things like this -
    ""Novice" means a person
    training regularly for a period of 3-9 months. This strength level supports the
    demands of vigorous recreational activities. An "intermediate" is a person who
    has engaged in regular training for up to two years. The intermediate level
    indicates some degree of specialization in the exercises and a high level of
    performance at the recreational level. The term "advanced" refers to an individual
    with multi-year training experience with definite goals in the higher levels of
    competitive athletics. The term "elite" refers specifically to athletes competing in
    strength sports. Less than 1% of the weight training population will attain this
    level."

Also, personally, I avoid getting any of the 35lb plates - it's not a very useful weight, I stick to a 25+10 for that.

SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SQ76 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Depends on cost... and how much you can actually lift... not much point getting 300lb of weight if you haven't got a bench press set up or power rack.

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you want to use olympic dumbbells with an olympic weight set you want something like

4 5s
    4 25s
    8 10s
    4 45s

35lb iron plates may be useful to get more ROM on floor pulls, but you'd need a bunch of them, might as well have a raised platform.

You want to be able to fit 500 lbs, so maybe 6 45s. 300 lbs is a good start, could last a year if you're starting out.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

Originally Posted by Detrus View Post
    If you want to use olympic dumbbells with an olympic weight set you want something like

4 5s
    4 25s
    8 10s
    4 45s

35lb iron plates may be useful to get more ROM on floor pulls, but you'd need a bunch of them, might as well have a raised platform.

You want to be able to fit 500 lbs, so maybe 6 45s. 300 lbs is a good start, could last a year if you're starting out.
    Why would someone need 8 10lb plates?

For barbell work, you just need enough plates for each side to cover the range up to 45lb's on each side -
    5: 1x5
    10: 1x10
    15: 1x5 and 1x10
    20: 2x10
    25: 1x25
    30: 1x25 1x5
    35: 1x25 1x10
    40: 1x25 1x10 1x5
    45: 1x45

1x5, 2x10, 1x25 - double that (as it's each side), and you need 2 5's, 4 10's, and 2 25's, then some amount of 45lb plates after that. Though also - one should at last get a pair of 2.5lb plates. And maybe 1.25lb plates.

One can certainly get different variations of plates if doing the math of doing the loading is easier, but I'm a little puzzled about what you'd gain with 8 10lb plates.

If one was going to use 35lb plates for ROM, easier to jump to using all 25lb plates - greater range of motion 35's or 45's, and easier math for loading.

Originally Posted by SQ76 View Post
    Depends on cost... and how much you can actually lift... not much point getting 300lb of weight if you haven't got a bench press set up or power rack.
    Just bought a York 1500lb Barbell, Power cage and a bench from them.

Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    I like this Chart!!

Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000) Detrus is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PaulRivers View Post
    Why would someone need 8 10lb plates?
    For olympic dumbbells. Dumbbells in thread title. Perhaps he wants dumbbells? Perhaps he doesn't want separate standard ones? Impossible to tell, just a wild guess from dumbbells in thread title and York barbell plates in first post.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #24 -!!!---!!!-

For olympic dumbbells. Dumbbells in thread title. Perhaps he wants dumbbells? Perhaps he doesn't want separate standard ones? Impossible to tell, just a wild guess from dumbbells in thread title and York barbell plates in first post.
    Fair enough, but the OP also wrote back -
    "Ah, yes ty. Miss typed that haha.. Ment to put Barbell weights lol."

Impossible to tell, just a wild guess from dumbbells in thread title and York barbell plates in first post.
    Sorry fixed that now so no more confusion haha.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just bought a York 1500lb Barbell, Power cage and a bench from them.
    Good equipment.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel