Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by SKHorne View Post
    Good stuff man, what ladder drills do you run? I just bought a ladder myself. Only went and pulled my anterior delt doing cleans so can't lift anything upper body for the time being
    That ****ing sucks bro, ice and heat treat it and get an anti-inflam rub and you'll be good in no time.

Ladder drills I do 3-step, 4-step, hopping, lateral ins and outs, cross-overs and hip twists and then a 5m burst at the end, if you're struggling for ideas on what to do with the ladder just go to youtube and search for ladder routines.

Originally Posted by LukeTyson View Post
    Looking at joining a comp this year. Any exercises you would recommend to help prepare ?
    Awesome man, you won't regret it. As far as lifts go I would put all your attention into compound lifts..deadlifts, power cleans, squats etc..but do some light work on your shoulder to add some mass and try and look up some exercises that help keep your shoulders injury free.

From your height and weight listed, you might make for a good linebacker, so work on your first step quickness and lateral movement a lot, trying to keep low and square while you do exercises.

Your coaches will get you on track when you show up and tell you what position they reckon you should play so the best thing you can do is lift heavy and try and get fast on your feet.

Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    enjoy the rests...

decent squatting there... how is the core liking the 90kg???
    My legs will indeed. My core seems to be fine for heavier sets, it starts tiring during high rep ranges though, I think the flexibility work and doing bridges frequently is starting to help me though.

LukeTyson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JardmanOLB View Post
    Awesome man, you won't regret it. As far as lifts go I would put all your attention into compound lifts..deadlifts, power cleans, squats etc..but do some light work on your shoulder to add some mass and try and look up some exercises that help keep your shoulders injury free.

From your height and weight listed, you might make for a good linebacker, so work on your first step quickness and lateral movement a lot, trying to keep low and square while you do exercises.

Your coaches will get you on track when you show up and tell you what position they reckon you should play so the best thing you can do is lift heavy and try and get fast on your feet.
    Cheers, Thanks for the advice.

JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    17/2/13 Sunday

Stair sprints

4x40yd beach sprints
    5x20yd beach sprints, consecutively

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    that must have been killer on the calves...

solid stuff...
    Sleepy.

Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    that must have been killer on the calves...

solid stuff...
    Yep, and the stairs wrecked my quads.

18/2/13 Monday

5 mins on the bike

Foam rolling

Hip/Shoulder mobility routine

Front Squats;
    5x20
    5x45
    5x55
    5x67.5
    5x80
    5x90

(Had to wait ages for someone to do his 3 sets of quarter squats... wish there were more than 3-4 real gyms in Perth, none are close to me and they all charge hefty prices.)

Bulgarian split squats;
    8x25 each hand
    6x30 each hand
    5x35 each hand

Starting to get to a point where I'm struggling more with holding the dumbell with my bad hand than with the exercise lol, still leaves me with a heart rate through the roof and needing to take big rests between sets.

10 glute kickbacks each leg
    2.15 min bridge
    3x8 one legged hypers (each leg)
    1 min bridge with 20kg on back
    45s bridge with 20kg on back

Foam rolling

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    dam what are the good gyms there... if i do come i will need a gym for a month... seems friend when chatting to her on fb comes up as - subiaca or something like that...

strong FS now... funny was logged out there and ended up looking at some of your first workouts and you really have improved...

just use a BB for the split squats... i do prefer them with a DB but easier with a BB to set up...
    Sleepy.

Ummm I'm not sure about Subiaco lol, I know theres a Fitness First there..which is more of a 5 star hotel than a gym.

These are good gyms I've heard about but are too far from me

http://www.ptcperth.com.au/

http://www.musclepit.com.au/

Thanks mate, I do feel like I'm coming along in my speed, jumping and core strength.

Doing it with a BB could be a pain as there's only really a power rack, no open racks which I can walk in and out of. Theres no boxes or platforms I could fit into the power rack too...Oh well I guess I'm just developing grip strength too.

just use straps then...
    Sleepy.

19/2/13 Tuesday

10kg Weighted Vest used for majority of exercises

4x3 Box Jumps

Exercises performed with lateral resistors on

6x12yd Lateral strafing

3x15yd Front stabs

3x15yd Double step back stabs
    3x15yd Single step back stabs

4x L-cone drills

Then some work on broad jump technique

Here's the video where I got the exercises for the lateral resistors
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlFVBNZKNYw

20/2/13 Wednesday

5 mins on the bike
    Foam rolling
    Hip/Shoulder Mobility

Front Squats;
    5x20
    5x45
    5x55
    5x67.5
    5x67.5

Some vague core and lower back exercises while waiting for a mate

Bench Press;
    12x20
    12x40
    10x60
    5x80
    5x80
    5x80

Decided to give bench a go and I can actually do it, although I can't wrap my thumb around the bar on my right hand and the wrist is weak at the moment. I think I'll start benching twice a week now to get back into the swing of things.

3xRope Pulldowns (Triceps)

Probably going to get vicious DOMs tomorrow.

good news with the bench... you are certainly doing well around the injury...

haha... enjoy the doms... i leant out my foam roller and am needing it back big time!!!
    Sleepy.

any tips from the master of the bench on how to lift heavier in a short amount of time? hahaha

never thought of foam rolling my chest...

any tips from the master of the bench on how to lift heavier in a short amount of time? hahaha

never thought of foam rolling my chest...
    haha... use a ball for the chest...

triceps and lats...

all i have is strong lats and ticeps... my chest isnt so strong...
    Sleepy.

21/2/13 Thursday

4x15yd hill sprints

~15x10yd sprints (wanted to work on my starts for the 40yd and my hip drive, took lots of videos and really shows I'm not staying low enough through the first phases of the sprint..will put vids up to be judged in the sports general section later)

3x15yd of Front stabs
    3x15yd of Double/Single back stabs
    5x15yd of Bounding (A-skips)

All done with 10kg weighted vest on and ankle resistors.

Then a bit of conditioning doing shuttle runs and ladders.

All in 38C degree heat!

is there not a big storm with you now... friend has on her fb that a tree on her street got hit by lightening and is on fire...

be interesting to watch the running...
    Sleepy.

Hah yeah there was thunder and lightning last night..yet it was still very hot.

I'll try and get them up tonight, computer's on the fritz.

22/3/13 Friday

Foam rolling
    5 mins on the bike
    Hip/Shoulder Mobility

Front Squats;
    5x20
    5x45
    5x55
    5x67.5
    5x80
    3x92.5
    8x67.5

Super sets of speed pulls and rows
    3x5x60kg Speed pulls
    3x8x60kg Rows

Super sets of hanging leg raises and russian twists
    3xF Russians Twists
    3x10 Leg raises

Foam rolling

Good to be doing upper body again, I think next week is time to start Bill Starr's with bench and rows, and see if I can deadlift and power clean.
    I think I'll stick with front squats instead of back squats, try and get them up to 140kg this year.

Out of curiosity I calculated how many calories I probably eat in a given day, some days its less than this too. I am kind of thinking it's not enough? But I don't want to be putting on too much fat.

Calories in a day

1L full cream milk - 650
    3 chicken breasts - 680
    1/6th pack of lentils - 200
    1/2 cup brown rice - 330
    1 Medium sized sweet potato - 160
    1 cup of broccoli- 55
    2 eggs- 125
    1 spoon of peanut butter- 130
    1 1/2 cups of oats - 570
    1/4 tub of low fat greek yoghurt - 125
    1 banana- 105
    8 Almonds - 56

as far as diet goes... right now for me i am trying to loose fat slowly... so i aim for maintennecne then with running i am in deficit... i dont count cals though... i like to eat...

What is your aim???

bodyweight in Lbs x 14 is roughly maintenance...
    Sleepy.

Yeah I want to be lowering my bf% and gaining muscle. I don't generally count either but that's what I eat without really force feeding myself..any foods you reckon I should throw in there? or should I just drink more milk?

I calculated on a program that takes your bf% and height etc into account and it said with the exercise I'm doing I should eat around 4k calories.

Yeah I want to be lowering my bf% and gaining muscle. I don't generally count either but that's what I eat without really force feeding myself..any foods you reckon I should throw in there? or should I just drink more milk?

I calculated on a program that takes your bf% and height etc into account and it said with the exercise I'm doing I should eat around 4k calories.
    its hard...

in all honesty i just go by what i look like in the mirror... also if i am hitting my goals in the gym or running or the field...

as an athlete the most important thing is how you perform over how you look etc... so as long thats all improving then thats what matters...
    Sleepy.

very true advice man, I guess the best thing to do is up the calorie intake and see how goes.

25/2/13 Monday

Today was a good day, cast is off and I am lifting and eating big from now.

5 mins bike
    Foam Rolling
    Hip/ Shoulder Mobility

Front Squats;
    5x20
    5x47.5
    5x57.5
    5x70 (Some idiot bumped the bar as I was standing in the middle of the rack about to do my first rep...wrist is sore now - I'm holding the bar properly now)
    5x80
    5x92.5

Bench;
    12x20
    5x42.5
    5x52.5
    5x62.5
    5x72.5
    5x82.5

Rows;
    5x20
    5x40
    5x50
    5x60
    5x70
    5x80

Bulgarian Split Squats (Dumbells each hand);
    5x27.5
    5x32.5
    5x32.5

10 Glute kickbacks each leg
    Superset of;
    3x20kg weighted planks and One legged hypers

Foam Rolling

Makes for a long workout, but I loved being able to do upper body again, tried to do some power cleans after the squats but my wrist wasn't liking it.

Will be interesting to see whether eating **** loads will allow me to train 6 days with only 1 rest. I might sacrifice Thursday as a sprint/conditioning day and just do very light cardio, but I'll see how I go first.

that hasnt been long at all... recovered well and fast!!!

rest is good - i did 11 sessions monday to friday last week and enjoyed the 2 days off... just go on how you feel...
    Sleepy.

I know man, it felt like a grind but it actually hasn't been too long.

Dang and here I was questioning whether I should do light intensity cardio on days where I've got time, and you're doing 11 sessions in 5 days...

26/2/13 Tuesday

Morning (fasted):
    25 mins on the bike
    20 mins walking incline

Early Afternoon:

Warmup/Stretching

4x 15yd Hill sprints

4x20yd sprints

3x15yd Parachute sprints

(Following done with ankle resistors)
    3x15yd of Front Stabs

3x15yd of Double Back stabs

6x10yd of Lateral slides

A good day, legs feel good and fresh. Decided I better start trying to do early morning light cardio to keep any fat gain to a minimum, as I have started eating a lot more.

SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Good stuff bro, jealous of those front squats. As for increasing your bench, there isn't a quick fix to increasing the weight but i've been doing wendlers 5/3/1 for bench and other compound lifts and its been great for me, back in November I was only about 90kg 1RM and now im up to 110kg 1RM. A question about your front squats, have you always had flexibility in your wrists for them? I cant bend my wrists back far enough to bring my elbows up and if i try to do it with crossed arms the bar either chokes me or slips off my delts if im lifting heavy so I dont really bother with them atm. Any tips?

Good stuff bro, jealous of those front squats. As for increasing your bench, there isn't a quick fix to increasing the weight but i've been doing wendlers 5/3/1 for bench and other compound lifts and its been great for me, back in November I was only about 90kg 1RM and now im up to 110kg 1RM. A question about your front squats, have you always had flexibility in your wrists for them? I cant bend my wrists back far enough to bring my elbows up and if i try to do it with crossed arms the bar either chokes me or slips off my delts if im lifting heavy so I dont really bother with them atm. Any tips?
    for the FS... use straps... and stretch those wrists everyday on the bar on warmup...
    Sleepy.

Hopefully my bench will go up a bit when I get my grip strength in my right hand back to normal. I'm already following the 5x5 progression which I assume would be similar gains to 5/3/1 but I'll check it out if/when I stall. Impressive gains on your bench though, no doubt.

Front squats I have always had the wrist flexibility for yes. That's strange about it slipping off your delts but then again you look a lot leaner than me so there's less cushion lol. I would do as Scott suggested and try and use proper form on the light warmups then use your straps to wrap around the bar and act as handles.

Didn't work out yesterday guys, and probably won't today as I got gastro/food poisoning..horrible stuff, probably ate about 400 calories and that was all from drinking flat lemonade...time to eat big today and get back into it tomorrow I think.