Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I like it. Jealous of beach and tires.

i would change to reps for front squats.. based on some more links:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=ggvQsq2WPcM#!
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/prelipins.pdf <<<prilepins pdf
    http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/n...rilepin_bench/

the bottom link is an example of applying this principle to a program. im doing it now for bench. im also trying to apply it to front squats (ive been doing 5x3 anyway just need to tweak the %'s) but it obviously asked for a BP and CGBP number so not sure if ill squat twice a week or 3 times a fortnight, use one leg day to do RDL + accessories (bulgarian SS, single leg hypers, etc) and one day to do front squat plus accessories.
    im not sure how you would balance out 3 sessions of front squat and stay within the guidelines prilepin set out. you might find yourself doing 4x4@76% mondays, 5x5@65% wednesday, 5x3@80-89% on friday.

Id also swap back hypers to single leg hyperextension. to get more bang for your buck superset 10-15 standing glute kickbacks (with your hand on your ass ideally) with x amount of single leg hypers. i say x because you want good quality reps, whether its 5 or 10 reps.
    Plus youll get some solid work with hamstrings in a lengthened position, which like the articles say is the real way to create hamstring flexibility.

Im doing all the same **** as you hence the link dumps, etc. lettuce know if you find any good ones yourself or make any discoveries.

JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm going to do a tire workout tomorrow, I figure my thumb should inhibit flipping them as I don't have to wrap my hands around anything.

I'm not quite sure what Prilepins is trying to achieve, from what I read it's not really telling you how much to progress each week, besides Starr's 5x5 still uses 3rep, 5 rep and 8rep which should be enough differentiation. I'll give the single leg extensions and kickbacks a go though, really try and get the flexibility going.

I think if you're in off season you should at least try to do front or back squats twice weekly. I'll let you know if I find anything man but I don't tend to look too hard lol, those links you shared for hip mobility were really great though.

Out of curiosity, are you an ausbrah? And do you play american football?

krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) krakkerz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JardmanOLB View Post
    Awesome man, do you play over east?

I play for Curtin Saints.
    I did once upon a time. The nearest team is now over 350km from me, though.

My good friend Kevin Wilson was playing for Blitz until recently.

Get working on those goals. Outback has a lot of competition at linebacker.

JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000) JardmanOLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ah that's no good. I'm a rookie this year so I don't know many people from the other clubs.

Yeah definitely going to be tough competition, main thing I need at the moment is speed.

5/2/13 Tuesday

Hip and Shoulders Mobility routine

30 minutes incline walking

I don't know what's going on at the moment but my energy levels are low, I have to force myself to eat and nothing feels like its being digested properly. I am also feeling really short of temper..like I'm going to snap at any moment and start laying into a door or do some stupid **** like that.

I can't flip tires with this cast on, my right wrist feels too flimsy and isn't pulling nearly as much weight as my left.

MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MassiveKent is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    can you prop the tire up and do more of a shoulder/side lift/push. maybe alternate between left and right shoulders? just a thought.

with prilepins chart its about progressing/training without inducing fatigue. i figure this could help you when you squat 3 times a week + running and everything else involving your legs bearing weight/working. Apparently it is very well proven to cause progress, its a way of training smarter rather than harder. You may not be aware of what intensity youre working at and as an athlete youre probably inclined to beat your body up more often than beneficial. if you have no problem with progress now though i wouldnt worry about it. youre aware of it now anyway.

The way you progress is based on your max now. use that to figure out %'s, stick to the guidelines and then reassess your max in 6 weeks.

That being said this is for strength gains primarily when a football player needs to gain size too. I have experience in college football and can say we only applied low reps to explosive movements like cleans, high pulls, any olympic progressions. Bench, squat, rows, pullups, etc. were mainly 10x10, 5x12, 4x6-8 with many forced reps and little rest <90secs. Is that ideal though? idk. when its that or 1000 yards of updowns at 5am you just do it.

If you broke a training year down into winter, spring, summer, fall imo it'd look like this: winter is for body composition, agility, strength -- spring is for skill and size -- summer is for conditioning, size, strength -- fall is in-season, weight maintenance/size, not much focus on conditioning or strength, skill

when will scott donald get me out of the red?
    Last edited by MassiveKent; 02-05-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Originally Posted by MassiveKent View Post
    can you prop the tire up and do more of a shoulder/side lift/push. maybe alternate between left and right shoulders? just a thought.

with prilepins chart its about progressing/training without inducing fatigue. i figure this could help you when you squat 3 times a week + running and everything else involving your legs bearing weight/working. Apparently it is very well proven to cause progress, its a way of training smarter rather than harder. You may not be aware of what intensity youre working at and as an athlete youre probably inclined to beat your body up more often than beneficial. if you have no problem with progress now though i wouldnt worry about it. youre aware of it now anyway.

The way you progress is based on your max now. use that to figure out %'s, stick to the guidelines and then reassess your max in 6 weeks.

That being said this is for strength gains primarily when a football player needs to gain size too. I have experience in college football and can say we only applied low reps to explosive movements like cleans, high pulls, any olympic progressions. Bench, squat, rows, pullups, etc. were mainly 10x10, 5x12, 4x6-8 with many forced reps and little rest <90secs. Is that ideal though? idk. when its that or 1000 yards of updowns at 5am you just do it.

If you broke a training year down into winter, spring, summer, fall imo it'd look like this: winter is for body composition, agility, strength -- spring is for skill and size -- summer is for conditioning, size, strength -- fall is in-season, weight maintenance/size, not much focus on conditioning or strength, skill

I'll have another read of Prilepins. I'm going to be training pretty much the same way year round, except for in season. Although when my hand is better I'll have my mate throwing to me while I run routes so, I want to be fast enough to play both sides of the ball at club level.

BTW those one leg hypers were great, and so were the kickbacks, will be incorporating from now on. Also bought a foam roller, so I did some foam rolling and then the hip flexibility complex off the T-Nation site article you linked.

6/2/13 Wednesday

Woke up and felt really de-motivated, had breakfast..went back to sleep and I must've hit a sleep cycle perfectly coz I woke up 1.5 hours later and felt re-invigorated.

3x3 Box Jumps (Highest I've done them before, will measure the height when I find a tape measure)
    then I drove to the gym

5 mins on the bike
    5 mins foam rolling (bought one today)
    Hip mobility workout
    Front Squats;
    8x20
    5x40
    5x60
    5x80
    5x90
    5x95
    (95 will be my 5RM weight for doing Starr's 5x5 progression)

Bulgarian Split Squats (each leg) (SICKENING)
    8x20kg each hand
    8x20
    8x5

3x8 One-legged Hypers
    2x10 Glute-ham kickbacks

1x2min bridge
    1x45sec bridge on obliques

Really happy with the workout, felt out of it when I left the gym.

SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Keep it up man, Ive just started playing myself in the UK as a DB. Best sport I've ever played! Will keep checking back to see how you're doing

Originally Posted by SKHorne View Post
    Keep it up man, Ive just started playing myself in the UK as a DB. Best sport I've ever played! Will keep checking back to see how you're doing
    Cheers man, tis a great sport, never going to look back. Wish I was fast enough for DB (safety)!

There's two brits that have logs too, JamieQB and TheRealNumber2

SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000) SKHorne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JardmanOLB View Post
    Cheers man, tis a great sport, never going to look back. Wish I was fast enough for DB (safety)!

There's two brits that have logs too, JamieQB and TheRealNumber2
    Sweet I'll check their logs out aswell. I might make my own but I wouldn't be great at constantly updating it as the only computer I have access to is my work one

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    haha what was wrong with the split squats???

nice front squatting...

when doing your jumps... make sure they are all quality form wise rather then forcing height...
    Sleepy.

Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    haha what was wrong with the split squats???

nice front squatting...

when doing your jumps... make sure they are all quality form wise rather then forcing height...
    Split squats are just demanding...really demanding on my core and legs.

I'll look up proper form for box jumps, it's not very high of a jump though, just measured it then, 29 inches.

bulgarian split squats are great.

do the kickbacks unweighted BEFORE you do the single leg hypers. the kickbacks are for glute activation which youll want before you do the harder lift. isolation and integration.

8/2/13 Friday

Had pretty bad leg DOMS from the 5RM and split squats but gonna have to get used to that with my new routine (starting monday next week).

Went to a local lookout which has much broader stairs than the other place and a great view, its a really beautiful day today too as you'll see in the vid.

Workout consisted of;

5-6 Stair sprints (Basically up to the top as fast as I can then jog down and rest for 1-2 mins).

4x40yd Beach sprints

2xPro agilities (Was heaps crappy in the sand, can't dig in at all, you go to turn and leave craters in the beach)

Heres a video of me doing a beach sprint for approx. 40yds. I think I'm looking faster than I was 10 weeks ago (last time I was filmed, on grass doing a 40). Let us know what you think, I didn't do a proper starting stance because I didn't want sand in my cast.

I'm still looking really bulky too (especially when I'm walking back after the sprint), I kinda wish it was mine turn for aesthetics, as in I wish I looked more like a safety or linebacker than a ****ing D-tackle lol.

My body quite likes keto in terms of losing fat but my workouts turn to **** and I'm not sure it would be the best idea to do keto when I cant even try and maintain my upper body gains due to my thumb.

Not sure why my girlfriend kept filming once I was finished lol.

P.S Mire on the view in the background, not a hard life.
    Last edited by scott_donald; 02-07-2013 at 11:00 PM.

scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz scott_donald has the mod powerz
    haha classic girl filming!!!

so jealous of the view... hopefully if i visit its a winter yea wave and i can get to the beach...
    Sleepy.

Beach is still generally go-able in the winter, nice waves for bodysurfing at most beaches too. This is just at the Swan river though.

Day 1 of the program I did up. Time to start eating like a fiend and practicing good recovery techniques.

11/2/13 Monday

Foam rolling

3x3 Box Jumps with 10kg Vest

Hip/Shoulder mobility routine
    Front Squats;
    8x20
    5x45
    5x55
    5x65
    5x77.5
    5x87.5

Bulgarian Split Squats;
    8x20kg each hand
    6x22.5kg each hand
    5x30kg each hand

3x Bridges (2min unweighted, 1min 20kg on back, 45s 20kg on back)
    3x10 glute kickbacks each leg
    3x8 hypers each leg

great session...

so what is the plan until fully healed???
    Sleepy.

Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    great session...

so what is the plan until fully healed???
    Well I figure that I won't be able to lift heavy rows, cleans or bench press for another 6-8 weeks so I'm front squatting 3 times a week following the progression in Bill Starr's program (basically 2.5% onto your 5RM each week). Also doing plyos and lots of sprints, hopefully shed a lot of time off my current speed tests and impress at the Australian Outback testing in April.

12/2/13 Tuesday

Went to the park instead of stairs.

10xAgility ladder with 5m burst at the end

5xPro agilities (5,10,5)

4x Low backwards walking up a steep incline

3xDownhill sprints

solid stuff... i ran today and struggled in the cold by myself - really wish i had your weather!!!

what is the walking backwards thing for???
    Sleepy.

No you don't man, its bloody 35C+ this whole week, you just feel disgusting 24/7...and I'm a student so I cant afford to have aircon going in my car which makes driving horrid.

Hahaha I don't actually know what benefit it will give me, just saw it in a youtube video so thought I'd give it a crack.

13/2/13 Wednesday

5 mins on the bike
    Hip/Shoulder mobility exercises
    Front Squats;
    5x20
    5x45
    5x55
    5x65
    5x65

Just a quick sesh as I had somewhere to be and todays just a light one on the legs anyway.

Night time;

30 minutes of skipping and doing ladder drills in my backyard (I had a icecream today and felt guilty..)

i had ice cream, last night - hagan daz - dulche de crem... you don't get it in oz but its by far the best packet ice cream!!!

solid stuff... and should help recovery...
    Sleepy.

Ah, that sounds a lot more gourmet than what I had..a maxibon.

Time to test my 40yard time tomorrow..hand timed but at least I will be able to see if my time has improved in 6 weeks.

14/2/13 Thursday

3x40yd dash (Ran a 5.3...hopefully I am actually running 1/10th of a second faster..)

3x25yd Parchute sprints

3x3 Change of direction drill

4x Ladder, touch cone and ladder back

15/2/13 Friday

5 mins on the bike

Hip/Shoulder mobility routine

Front Squats;
    5x20
    5x45
    5x55
    5x65
    5x77.5
    3x90
    8x65

Speed Deadlifts;
    3x5x60kg

3x Russians twists and leg raises

1x 1.5minute Bridge

Keen for a rest day or two over the weekend, my legs need it. Was hitting a real nice depth on my squats.

Good stuff man, what ladder drills do you run? I just bought a ladder myself. Only went and pulled my anterior delt doing cleans so can't lift anything upper body for the time being

LukeTyson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looking at joining a comp this year. Any exercises you would recommend to help prepare ?

enjoy the rests...

decent squatting there... how is the core liking the 90kg???
    Sleepy.