jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

HELP! Looking for advice on PT cert and others

I am looking to start my journey into the fitness industry. I know I need to start with a PT cert, but what I'd really like to get into is strength and conditioning. I know that ACE has a program for certification and was wondering if anyone could advise on how well it is accepted. I like the way the NASM program seems to be set up, but you need a bachelor's in exercise science for their cscs. Is there another organization that offers a s&c cert that may be better than ACE? Thanks to all in advance for any info you may be able to provide.
    No excuses! You either do or you don't!

cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cody.miller has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by jpk14 View Post
    I am looking to start my journey into the fitness industry. I know I need to start with a PT cert, but what I'd really like to get into is strength and conditioning. I know that ACE has a program for certification and was wondering if anyone could advise on how well it is accepted. I like the way the NASM program seems to be set up, but you need a bachelor's in exercise science for their cscs. Is there another organization that offers a s&c cert that may be better than ACE? Thanks to all in advance for any info you may be able to provide.
    I used to study for ACE but ended up taking an AFAA PT cert course. IMO AFAA>ACE

I heard ACE is more focused on "law" material (im guessing this includes liabilities, etc.)

jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jpk14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by cody.miller View Post
    I used to study for ACE but ended up taking an AFAA PT cert course. IMO AFAA>ACE

I heard ACE is more focused on "law" material (im guessing this includes liabilities, etc.)
    Thanks Cody, but it's the s&c that I'm kind of more interested in. And I must correct myself, it's the NSCA that requires the 4 year degree. NASM has a PES cert which looks somewhat similar to what I'd like to do. If anyone has any input on that, it'd be much appreciated.

getDialedIn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks Cody, but it's the s&c that I'm kind of more interested in. And I must correct myself, it's the NSCA that requires the 4 year degree. NASM has a PES cert which looks somewhat similar to what I'd like to do. If anyone has any input on that, it'd be much appreciated.
    I would recommend NASM CPT and PES if you don't have a degree. Otherwise the NSCA CSCS is a great way to go. Honestly the NASM PES is as good as the NSCA CSCS. I would stay away from ACE. It's an ok cert, but there are better ones out their. I am a Fitness Director, and my experience tells me that NASM is the way to go.
    Dialed In Nutrition is a supplement company, and it's a way of life.

www.DialedInNutrition.com
    Type in coupon code "bodybuilding" for 15% off

********.com/DialedInNutrition
    Twitter.com/ruDialedIn

Originally Posted by getDialedIn View Post
    I would recommend NASM CPT and PES if you don't have a degree. Otherwise the NSCA CSCS is a great way to go. Honestly the NASM PES is as good as the NSCA CSCS. I would stay away from ACE. It's an ok cert, but there are better ones out their. I am a Fitness Director, and my experience tells me that NASM is the way to go.
    Thanks for the info. I'm hearing this more and more the more I look into all of it. I will probably be going in this direction.

ironman4life89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am in your boat. I've have been an intense lifter/athlete for years, and going into this I wanted my main area of focus to be training people for s&c as well. I am currently certified with NASM, and while their CPT isn't directly geared towards s&c (its a CPT afterall, not a specialized cert. like the CSCS or the PES) it was an extremely informative certificate and helped me out a lot. It spends a lot of time teaching you about fixing muscle imbalances and preventing them, gearing logic to the fact that most people aren't quite ready for a full on training regimen yet, but in my opinion this is necessary knowledge to avoid liabilities and injuries in general. I didn't regret choosing NASM, so I think you'd suit yourself well with that choice.

The PES, so you know, has its stipulations, not unlike the CSCS. So you can't go for the PES right away, but it doesn't require a minimum 4 year degree, as soon as you get the NASM CPT or equivalent, you will be eligible.