N0equal has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ADVICE: dieting to maintain muscle mass while training for cardio/endurance

I have spent the last several months (3) in the mass gain phase and have ahieved good results by my standards (starting weight 152, current weight 170. BF% has stayed the same). My ideal goal would be to continue to add mass but I would be ok with just maintaining my current size. For the cardio phase I plan on doing 4-5 days a week consisting of 8ish mile runs at a 7min/mile pace 2-3x a week in the evenings, with swimming exercises in the morning (30-45min). Also once or twice a week I also plan to ruck 6 miles with a progressively heavier pack starting at 35lbs and going up to 65lbs with a 13mile/min goal in mind.

For the weight training portion I thought I would incorporate some strength endurance training like in Matt Wiggins article (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wiggy1.htm) along with some interval training. I'm just not sure yet what type of interval training I want to use, whether it be a crossfit style or something else. One thing I have seen that I want to try is sandbag training. The science behind why it works (being unstable) makes sense and I could only see this improving performance.

Ok, now that I've established what I'll be doing I'll get to my main purpose. Which is to determine the "what" and "when" of my diet in order to idealy try to gain mass while doing this, but at the least maintain what I currently have.

My current daily nutritional intake is as follows:
    - Calories = 3,000
    - Protein = 306
    - Carbs = 230
    - Fat = 102

I eat 5 meals a day about 4 hours apart (Except on weight training days I eat 1 hour prior to lifting, lift for about 1 hour then eat immediately after)

This consists of mainly boiled chicken, sometimes fish, turkey or steak. One meal a day is 4 eggs with a meat I make into an omelette.
    I use brown rice as my primary source of carbs. (Except on weight training days when I use ultra fuel after my workout)
    I am trying to switch to using only macro nutrients but for now I am still using Elite XT protein powder for usually about 2 meals. 1- being my first meal in the morning, and 2- being my post workout meal.

Suplements (daily):
    2,000-3,000mg vitamin C
    20-60mg vandyl sulfate
    multi vitamin (gnc mens sport)
    2-3.5tbsp Udo's Choice

I really appreciate you taking the time to review this. I am open to hearing all suggestions about my diet or training, thank you.
    Last edited by N0equal; 01-04-2013 at 07:57 AM.
    “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

-Charles Darwin

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Protein is unnecessarily high.
    Food choices are extremely bland.
    Carbs/calories seem low for that amount of activity.
    No need to eat 6x a day.
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50) x2lvlarcher will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I can see why you have to take a multi with this diet... dude eat vegetables...

Originally Posted by x2lvlarcher View Post
    I can see why you have to take a multi with this diet... dude eat vegetables...
    I do, I just didn't label everything I eat just the basic outline.
    “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

-Charles Darwin

Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Evandrus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Op thats a lot!..no need to eat 6 meals a day..meal timing is irrelevant to body composition outcome and your macros could be a little better. I think the best thing that would help you would be to read the stickies in the nutrition section here they would greatly help trust me.
    NASM CPT

!!Lean bulk crew!!
    Current lifts!
    BB bench 205x6
    Deadlift 315x9
    Squat x squat...in progress

Just so that you guys know, the diet I have labeled is my current diet. It's only there as a mere reference point to what I'm doing now.

I'm wanting to tailor a new diet that would suit my needs for cario/endurance and not losing muscle mass but yet trying to gain mass in the process.
    I was looking for things like:

- what should I add?

- should I remove anything?

- what should I increase?

- what should the amounts be?

- should I decrease something?

- should I carb load before cardio?

- should I carb load after?

- is timming meals relevant to cardio events?

I'm sure theres more I should know that's really why Im asking. Thanks for the help.

-Charles Darwin

germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000) germaine07 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by N0equal View Post
    Just so that you guys know, the diet I have labeled is my current diet. It's only there as a mere reference point to what I'm doing now.

I'm wanting to tailor a new diet that would suit my needs for cario/endurance and not losing muscle mass but yet trying to gain mass in the process.
    I was looking for things like:

- what should I add? You never listed TDEE but probably calories in the form of carbs.

- should I remove anything? Probably about 150g protein and simultaneously increase carbs

- what should I increase? Carbs

- what should the amounts be? Read: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

- should I decrease something? Protein perhaps.....

- should I carb load before cardio? If it helps you perform better

- should I carb load after? If it helps you perform better

- is timming meals relevant to cardio events? Yes but very individual

I'm sure theres more I should know that's really why Im asking. Thanks for the help.
    See^
    Sports Science & Health Undergraduate

You don't always get what you wish for,
    You get what you work for.

Bite off more than you can chew,
    Then Chew it!

Twitter: @MarkGermaine

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek