Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Replacement for legg press and leg curls? also squat and barbell row question

Hello,
    I am a beginner
    I started starting strenght 2 months ago.
    Now i want to switch over to Lyle McDonald’s Bulking Routine.
    The problem is i only have free weights at home
    With what should i replace them ?
    Also when i do a bodyweight squat my back rounds.
    I stretch the harmstrings really hard but still my back rounds if i go deeper then parallel
    It feels like my back is very stiff if i go just parallel.
    I do alot of stretches but my lower back still rounds unless i wider my stance and point my toes outward alot almost horizontal.

But if i put heavy weight on the barbell my lower back doesnt round or if i put little plates under my
    My last question with barbell rows where should you feel them ? is it normal that your hips move a little bit if you pull the weight
    sorry for my bad english.

Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Squats and deadlifts. As a beginner, these should be prioritized over the press and leg curl anyway, imo. Just keep working on your squat form. Keep stretching, keep your head up and look forward.

As for the bicep curl, how much are your hips moving? You could be using too much weight and doing cheat curls if you are swinging or heaving the weight up. Cheat curls do have their place, but as a beginner you need to focus on proper form, and controlled movements.

Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Greg2510 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Concat View Post
    Squats and deadlifts. As a beginner, these should be prioritized over the press and leg curl anyway, imo. Just keep working on your squat form. Keep stretching, keep your head up and look forward.

As for the bicep curl, how much are your hips moving? You could be using too much weight and doing cheat curls if you are swinging or heaving the weight up. Cheat curls do have their place, but as a beginner you need to focus on proper form, and controlled movements.
    The bicep curls are no problem
    The barbell rows are

Just did some squatting i get little bit lower back pain is this normal?
    Where should i put the barbell under my spine or on the shoulder?

71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000) 71Avido is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Greg2510 View Post
    Just did some squatting i get little bit lower back pain is this normal?
    Where should i put the barbell under my spine or on the shoulder?
    Depends on what you consider pain.
    Sharp jabbing pain = not good
    Tension while "in the hole" = lack of mobility

Work on your hip flexors and squat stance, ensure your form is good before increasing weight.

Bar position will depend on whether you're trying to accomplish a high bar squat or a low bar.
    High bar should have the bar resting on your traps, you don't want the bar on your neck.
    Low bar will have the bar resting lower on your rear delts.

Each variation has it's own merit, high bar is more quad dominant while low bar works more posterior chain.

With either bar position, make sure to keep your knees moving directly over your toes through the movement.
    If your knees cave in or out, drop the weight and work on form. This is to prevent possible injury.
    You want to be the guy on the left, not the right:
    On the road to 1250

Train consistently, move iron with purpose, eat well, sleep well and achieve.

Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow, I have reading comprehension issues this morning I guess. With rows you should feel it in your lats. I'm not sure how your hips would move though... explain.

Lower back pain while squatting is often an indicator of poor form. And since you mention barbell placement, try low bar squats instead of high bar. Might help the lower back pain. Really you should post a video for a form check if possible.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A good Hamstring exercise that can be done with barbells or dumbbells would be a SLDL (Stiff-Leg Deadlift / Straight-Leg Deadlift).

If you are having problems with technique I would read articles, watch videos on YouTube, and in many cases it might also be worthwhile to consult with a qualified professional before getting too far in to your training program.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

I have just recorded myself squatting.
    I think im doing many things wrong.
    Above,thanks all for the info i think i will see a professional.

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    1/Don't use belt
    2/Spend less time in the hole

Originally Posted by vampborn View Post
    1/Don't use belt
    No belt?

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by vampborn View Post
    1/Don't use belt
    Seconded. Your squat form doesn't look bad. Your main issue is you allow yourself to relax in the hole for some reason. Try to keep yourself tight and use more of a "bounce" out of the hole when you feel the stretch.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No belt?
    Its not that you shouldn't EVER use one he is saying since your back seems to be your weak point train it to be a strong point. Your squats actually look pretty damn good from that angle at least, maybe I'm missing something but you don't look like you round your back to me. It could be you think rounding of the back means something then what we mean when we say it. Less/no pause at the bottom would be better but it probably is not the main issue. A question I haven't seen asked to you, why did you stop starting strength after 2 months?

bigdrob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wouldn't recommend a squat for a true beginner anyway. Too often beginners have poor form and weak ab and lower back muscles. If you truly are a beginner and are having troubles with squats, I'd suggest leg lunges. You can even place one hang on the edge of a chair for balance and form if you're having trouble with lunges.

As you progress, you can do them without assistance, and then add your dumbbells in your hand as you do them. Only after you can do these properly would I suggest squats.

Hello,
    I am a beginner
    I started starting strenght 2 months ago.
    I stretch the harmstrings really hard but still my back rounds if i go deeper then parallel
    It feels like my back is very stiff if i go just parallel.
    I do alot of stretches but my lower back still rounds unless i wider my stance and point my toes outward alot almost horizontal.

But if i put heavy weight on the barbell my lower back doesnt round or if i put little plates under my
    My last question with barbell rows where should you feel them ? is it normal that your hips move a little bit if you pull the weight
    sorry for my bad english.

Originally Posted by bigdrob View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a squat for a true beginner anyway. Too often beginners have poor form and weak ab and lower back muscles. If you truly are a beginner and are having troubles with squats, I'd suggest leg lunges. You can even place one hang on the edge of a chair for balance and form if you're having trouble with lunges.

As you progress, you can do them without assistance, and then add your dumbbells in your hand as you do them. Only after you can do these properly would I suggest squats.
    thanks i will stop doing squats and try lunges and then try squats again when im ready

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Out of this entire thread of advice you go with the one that says don't do squats. Sweet glad no one wasted their time trying to help you out.

The only time a beginner should not do squats is if said beginner has no legs. I know 60+ years olds an 13 year olds who all started with squatting in their routines. That's like saying "hey welcome to the sport of baseball, we're not going to have you bat or catch anything until you are comfortable with the sport as a whole"

lol, I was just gonna say... all it takes is one guy to tell you it's okay to be lazy.

Seriously, do squats. Just don't be a hero and try and move a lot of weight.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Greg- your squat looks fine. I would keep going. I also pause at the bottom. Without the bounce, you have more intra-muscular tension. When you bounce, the stretch-reflex helps you ascend.

Squatting in general-
    I had no trouble squatting right away, but some people shouldn't. If you can't do a bodyweight squat with good form, then the best thing to do is a progression to get to a place where you can do a squat. That could be glute strengthening exercises and exercises to open up your hip flexors. It could be a balance issue, which you can fix with extending your arms and a your dumbbell as a counterweight, moving up to goblet squats, etc. If you can't squat well without a bar, you won't squat better with one.

I rarely see people squat, and when I do, it usually looks pretty terrible: their knees cave in, they can't even get close to parallel, when they come back up, it's more of a good morning. These people should be building themselves up to a squat because they are too weak, but they don't. Eventually, they injure themselves, swear squats are the devil and go on to something else.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Do the movements with dumbbells. For example, do the DB bench press instead of the bb bench press. If you don't have a bench, do the DB floor press. I am not familiar with Lyle's routine.

That's fine.

You should feel it in your upper back (lats, mid traps/rhomboids and rear delts). Hips should stay locked/tight while rowing, but a little bit of 'body English' is expected when the weight gets heavier. Maintain perfect form when you're a beginner.

tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tidnab is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    Greg- your squat looks fine. I would keep going. I also pause at the bottom. Without the bounce, you have more intra-muscular tension. When you bounce, the stretch-reflex helps you ascend.
    It's not so much that he pauses, it's that he relaxes when he pauses instead of staying tight.

Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post

Squatting in general-
    I had no trouble squatting right away, but some people shouldn't. If you can't do a bodyweight squat with good form, then the best thing to do is a progression to get to a place where you can do a squat. That could be glute strengthening exercises and exercises to open up your hip flexors. It could be a balance issue, which you can fix with extending your arms and a your dumbbell as a counterweight, moving up to goblet squats, etc. If you can't squat well without a bar, you won't squat better with one.

I rarely see people squat, and when I do, it usually looks pretty terrible: their knees cave in, they can't even get close to parallel, when they come back up, it's more of a good morning. These people should be building themselves up to a squat because they are too weak, but they don't. Eventually, they injure themselves, swear squats are the devil and go on to something else.
    Should i continue squatting ? Or should i increase my mobility first ?

Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jasonk282 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Should i continue squatting ? Or should i increase my mobility first ?
    Both.

Do mobility drills and keep squatting. and remain tight in the hole, when you are pausing you are letting all the tension out and that's making your back round. Squat down, when you feel the stretch, come back up.
    OG